New Hobgoblin face

Mephisto torso and arms and crotch piece

Black belt

Blue Batman cape

Moloid hands

Chun-Li wrist spikes

Moloid legs 

Deadman booties

It’s not a cheap QC by any means, but, aside from not having pointy ears and horns, it’s a damn good QC.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just off the top of my head

Rebirth Harley Quinn

Poison Ivy

Zatanna

Kaldurahm/Aqualad

Black Manta

Two-Face

Talon and Court of Owls

Fire and Ice

Nekron

Modern Star Sapphire

Jessica Cruz

Huntress/Matron

Red Hood

Danian Wayne

Red Robin

Batgirl of Burnside

Trigon

Blockbuster

Blue Beetle (Jamie)

Nubia

Yara Flor

Donna Troy

Cassie

Spoiler

Black Canary

Martian Manhunter

Naomi

And I could happily go on.

53 minutes ago, elhonez said:

That is some creative parts usage!

What about a headcap? Repaint Abomination?

Yeah, I think if you’re willing to paint Abomination headcap would be a good choice. If you REALLY wanna be creative I’d probably modify the Ultimate Green Goblin headcap and shave down the extra horns and then cut the ears off of Abomination’s headcap and glue them onto the Goblin piece.

Or, @hellpop used the Etrigan head from the Brave and bold mini fig and that also looks very cool!

44 minutes ago, Navaan said:

Just off the top of my head

Rebirth Harley Quinn

Poison Ivy

Zatanna

Kaldurahm/Aqualad

Black Manta

Two-Face

Talon and Court of Owls

Fire and Ice

Nekron

Modern Star Sapphire

Jessica Cruz

Huntress/Matron

Red Hood

Danian Wayne

Red Robin

Batgirl of Burnside

Trigon

Blockbuster

Blue Beetle (Jamie)

Nubia

Yara Flor

Donna Troy

Cassie

Spoiler

Black Canary

Martian Manhunter

Naomi

And I could happily go on.

Shameless plug of a few of those that I’ve made: 

Damian Wayne

https://imgur.com/a/Q4BvRrC

Black Manta, Captain Cold and Marvel’s Crystal, and Simon Baz

https://imgur.com/a/tJAuQyD

8 hours ago, Minimike said:

Luke should do a custom series of DC minimates! I’d love to see what he could do with firestorm demon zatanna and classic JSA characters!

Luke's heart has always been with Marvel, unfortunately. He's made a lot of great DC customs over the years though. Now Boyd...Boyd's the DC guy....?

5 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

Yeah, I think if you’re willing to paint Abomination headcap would be a good choice. If you REALLY wanna be creative I’d probably modify the Ultimate Green Goblin headcap and shave down the extra horns and then cut the ears off of Abomination’s headcap and glue them onto the Goblin piece.

Or, @hellpop used the Etrigan head from the Brave and bold mini fig and that also looks very cool!

That's nice of you to say. If I remember it was a pain to do, because I had to cut the neck pin off a Minimate torso and glued it on. Someone more talented than me could probably drill a little hole in it. Those little Brave and the Bold figures were a great compliment to Minimates. They made a Plastic Man hang glider that's perfectly proportioned for 'mates.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, Freaqualizer said:

FWIW, while not cheap, you can make a REALLY good Demon QC with: 

New Hobgoblin face

Mephisto torso and arms and crotch piece

Black belt

Blue Batman cape

Moloid hands

Chun-Li wrist spikes

Moloid legs 

Deadman booties

It’s not a cheap QC by any means, but, aside from not having pointy ears and horns, it’s a damn good QC.

Thank you so much for this recipe! I gave it a shot and this QC looks amazing! I don’t care if he’s missing horns and ears it captures Etrigan perfectly!

Anyone else with a good DC QC mate custom? I am always trying to broaden my DC collection.

Years back  I made a pretty decent Black Adam, Black Canary, Red Hood, and an Arsenal I’m pretty happy with

10 hours ago, Minimike said:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I gave it a shot and this QC looks amazing! I don’t care if he’s missing horns and ears it captures Etrigan perfectly!

Anyone else with a good DC QC mate custom? I am always trying to broaden my DC collection.

Years back  I made a pretty decent Black Adam, Black Canary, Red Hood, and an Arsenal I’m pretty happy with

Man, thank you! I’m glad you liked the QC! Mind sharing your QC recipe for Arsenal?

Some other good DC QCs: 

Nissa from the Grimm Fairy Tales box set with a red hair piece makes for a great Poison Ivy

My Mr. Freeze is: 

Deadman head

Falcon goggles

Gotham Fries minus hands and feet

Blue MvC Iron Man gauntlets and boots

The only real downside is he can’t hold his freeze gun. 

Edited by Freaqualizer

John Constantine is a real easy QC to make. I used a Jack Bauer head and hairpiece, though there's certain to be other options in the 10+ years since I made him (there's some good scruffy heads from Walking Dead). Then a trenchcoat and any shirt/tie torso combination. You can even find cigarette hands from a couple places, like the X-Files set. Done!

Not to toot my own horn, but my old custom thread is mostly DC figures, since I'm much, much more a DC guy than anything else. I haven't updated it in ages though. There's a lot of other DC customs in those threads, so it's definitely worth poking around some of the older pages and see what people were doing 5-6 years ago.

16 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

Man, thank you! I’m glad you liked the QC! Mind sharing your QC recipe for Arsenal?

Some other good DC QCs: 

Nissa from the Grimm Fairy Tales box set with a red hair piece makes for a great Poison Ivy

My Mr. Freeze is: 

Deadman head

Falcon goggles

Gotham Fries minus hands and feet

Blue MvC Iron Man gauntlets and boots

The only real downside is he can’t hold his freeze gun. 

My arsenal recipe might be a little vague because I made him a few years ago but to the best of my knowledge here goes nothing

Hair:

Ant-man Walgreens animated

head:

Chronic from blunt man and chronic set

torso:

marvel now Deadpool with arrow quiver from age of ultron Hawkeye

arms:

just random naked arms with beefy black gloves with finger cut outs

belt:

not sure where I got it but it’s silver with red spot in middle

legs:

I think he came out pretty well for a QC let me know what you think if able to assemble?

10 hours ago, Minimike said:

My arsenal recipe might be a little vague because I made him a few years ago but to the best of my knowledge here goes nothing

Hair:

head:

Chronic from blunt man and chronic set

torso:

marvel now Deadpool with arrow quiver from age of ultron Hawkeye

arms:

just random naked arms with beefy black gloves with finger cut outs

belt:

not sure where I got it but it’s silver with red spot in middle

legs:

I think he came out pretty well for a QC let me know what you think if able to assemble?

I never thought to use Chronic’s head for Arsenal, but that’s brilliant! I was going to use a Silent Bob hair piece for the hat. That does look to be an excellent QC for Arsenal!

5 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

I never thought to use Chronic’s head for Arsenal, but that’s brilliant! I was going to use a Silent Bob hair piece for the hat. That does look to be an excellent QC for Arsenal!

Why thank you! Cronic’s head shot popped up randomly on minimates database one day, and I knew I needed to do a red arrow or arsenal. He just made himself with spare parts I had to be honest.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:44 PM, Freaqualizer said:

I thought about that, but I ended up using a Sasquatch face for Mongul. He had more of that smirking, cocky face that I thought really suited Mongul.

What does your Mongul look like? He is another character I’d love to see as a custom

Finished Sandman yesterday, which got me thinking about how nice it would be to get some Minimates from the show. I figure three box sets, one based on the first five episodes of the show, one on the last four, and one on the largely standalone episode six:

Set One:
Dream (robed with helm)/Lucifer/Johanna Constantine/John Dee

Set Two:
Dream (1789)/Hob Gadling (1789)/Lady Johanna Constantine/Death

Set Three:
Dream (long coat)/Corinthian/Rose Walker/Gilbert

If those do well enough, I could see one last set focusing on The Dreaming:
Lucienne/Cain/Abel/Merv

Overall I quite enjoyed the show, although I'm afraid that the second half does not live up to the first. I think the biggest problem is that the actress playing Rose Walker just isn't up to the demands of the role. And of course, the Death episode is the standout, just like the comic it was adapted from was the standout of the early issues of the series.

6 hours ago, hellpop said:

Finished Sandman yesterday, which got me thinking about how nice it would be to get some Minimates from the show. I figure three box sets, one based on the first five episodes of the show, one on the last four, and one on the largely standalone episode six:

Set One:
Dream (robed with helm)/Lucifer/Johanna Constantine/John Dee

Set Two:
Dream (1789)/Hob Gadling (1789)/Lady Johanna Constantine/Death

Set Three:
Dream (long coat)/Corinthian/Rose Walker/Gilbert

If those do well enough, I could see one last set focusing on The Dreaming:
Lucienne/Cain/Abel/Merv

Overall I quite enjoyed the show, although I'm afraid that the second half does not live up to the first. I think the biggest problem is that the actress playing Rose Walker just isn't up to the demands of the role. And of course, the Death episode is the standout, just like the comic it was adapted from was the standout of the early issues of the series.

I can't praise this show enough! Ive been going through my parts bin to find parts to make some of the major characters. I agree that Rose felt flat as the role got more complex. I would love to see Johanna Constantine face off against John Constantine in a head to head battle!

Are these characters all still considered DC characters?

On 8/13/2022 at 10:46 PM, Minimike said:

What does your Mongul look like? He is another character I’d love to see as a custom

My Mongul is:

Animated Thanos head cap

Sasquatch face

Kree Sentry torso

Animated Thanos arms including bicep cover

Kree Sentry Hands

Animated Thanos crotch and legs

Kree Sentry boots 

Not my finest work, and I would like to eventually make Darkseid, Mongul, Doomsday, Grundy in the larger scale like we had in the official DC minimate line.

• 6 months later...

Poking in to offer an observation:

It seems to me that most DC lines these days really focus on modern narratives, which are rife with overly-designed, flash-in-the-pan, kewl "re-imaginings" of classic characters that last for a few issues before their costumes are redesigned again. [Get off my lawn!!]

What are missing are truly classic offerings, like what the old DC MiniMates line focused on. Batman '66 notwithstanding -- I know of at least five distinct modern lines that have dipped their toes in those waters (including Mezco, Mattel, MacFarlane and Funko), but it's the exception.

I was initially very excited to see McFarlane bring back Super Powers, but the designs all skew modern, and the character selection has been uninspiring. Can you imagine a Super Powers-branded MiniMates line? With the latest packaging innovations DST are delivering, a series like this would rock.

Edited by elhonez

21 hours ago, elhonez said:

Poking in to offer an observation:

It seems to me that most DC lines these days really focus on modern narratives, which are rife with overly-designed, flash-in-the-pan, kewl "re-imaginings" of classic characters that last for a few issues before their costumes are redesigned again. [Get off my lawn!!]

What are missing are truly classic offerings, like what the old DC MiniMates line focused on. Batman '66 notwithstanding -- I know of at least five distinct modern lines that have dipped their toes in those waters (including Mezco, Mattel, MacFarlane and Funko), but it's the exception.

I was initially very excited to see McFarlane bring back Super Powers, but the designs all skew modern, and the character selection has been uninspiring. Can you imagine a Super Powers-branded MiniMates line? With the latest packaging innovations DST are delivering, a series like this would rock.

THE DREAM. Who knows now that Dc Direct is gone and it’s been a decade maybe they could get it approved. 

————————————

@Minimated on IG.

Edited by thereasonsy

McFarlane's DC line in general, and Super Powers in particular, is aggressively not for me. I dislike pretty much everything about them: the character choices; the designs; the sculpts; you name it. Other than that, great work Todd!

A Super Powers branded DC Minimates line, with single cards like the GI Joe line, would be absolutely amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

McFarlane's line is often referred to as 7" scale. It isn't. Based on images I've seen of different characters posed together, the figures are just 7" tall. I'm too much of a stickler for scale to fall into Todd's tarpit.

That said, I'd also be all over a Super Powers Collection-inspired line of DC Minimates, even though I already own most of those 'mates.