UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates

asu928

On 12/24/2019 at 6:18 AM, thereasonsy said:

BUMP in case Collect DST doesn't realize we want ACTUAL DC Minimates.

Dude, we'd like them, too. But there's already this major block figure line with serious ties to WB and a lot invested in the brand. It's a non-starter. It's not us saying, eh, no thanks.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, DSTZach said:

Dude, we'd like them, too. But there's already this major block figure line with serious ties to WB and a lot invested in the brand. It's a non-starter. It's not us saying, eh, no thanks.

Well...not anymore...

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1115815-lego-movie-rights-go-from-warner-bros-to-universal-pictures

4 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

The three waves of single-packed DC minifigures might disagree with you.

Actually those support my assertion. They're required to be packaged unassembled because they fall under the construction set category. (Sidebar: Why does the black dude come with shackles?)

On 1/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, MisterPL said:

I haven't bothered seeing it. The trailer showed me enough.

By the way, LEGO is not the same product category as Minimates. The former is construction sets, the latter is action figures. 

While Marvel sees it that way, I don't believe WB sees it that way.

On 12/28/2019 at 2:53 AM, CBMM1 said:

Interesting! Missed that story.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, MisterPL said:

I haven't bothered seeing it. The trailer showed me enough.

By the way, LEGO is not the same product category as Minimates. The former is construction sets, the latter is action figures. 

Exactly, I doubt they (Lego) even know who DST is. If they do they probably think that DST wants to bring back C3 and that's why they probably don't take the meeting. Sorry but I have lost all faith in minimates. It had a great run but now DST is obsessed to chase after POP! scraps and failing at that miserably.

It's not as if DC hasn't had any mini-figures since C3. DC Direct (not that they needed a license) offered a few varieties. Mezco has been offering 2" figures for years at a significantly higher price.

If WBCP can allow Funko and DST to offer vinyl figures at the same price in the same market with the same retail footprint, there's got to be a reason why they won't allow Mezco and DST to offer 2" figures. I'm guessing it's not a very good reason. DST just needs to tack Minimates onto the end of their next agreement renewal and see if WBCP notices.

17 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Exactly, I doubt they (Lego) even know who DST is. If they do they probably think that DST wants to bring back C3 and that's why they probably don't take the meeting. Sorry but I have lost all faith in minimates. It had a great run but now DST is obsessed to chase after POP! scraps and failing at that miserably.

I actually think Lego has been getting ideas from Minimates for certain things, but I'm sure I'll be mocked endlessly for that. And I don't know what meeting Lego is taking, but it's not with us -- why would they? If WB doesn't want us competing with Lego, that's their decision, not Lego's. And we aren't making Vinimates because we want to be Funko, we're making Vinimates because retailers seem to order them more than certain Minimates and/or we are able to make them in smaller batches. Minimates need a certain number of orders to be viable.

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

It's not as if DC hasn't had any mini-figures since C3. DC Direct (not that they needed a license) offered a few varieties. Mezco has been offering 2" figures for years at a significantly higher price.

If WBCP can allow Funko and DST to offer vinyl figures at the same price in the same market with the same retail footprint, there's got to be a reason why they won't allow Mezco and DST to offer 2" figures. I'm guessing it's not a very good reason. DST just needs to tack Minimates onto the end of their next agreement renewal and see if WBCP notices.

Mezco has been making DC Mez-Itz since before Lego had the DC license, I believe. But as I said, they do not even resemble construction. They're vinyl figures. DC has had other blind-bagged Mini-figures that were more figural at the dollar store, I don't know who made them. Imaginext is also small. It is not about size. 

I actually doubt Funko knows what Vinimates are, even though we're across the aisle from them at Toy Fair. There are lots of DC vinyl figures out there, I don't think Funko sees any of them as competition. WB has no reason to block us from making them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Y'see I thought Gotham Minimates were in the same league as Netflix Marvel Minimates ........drab .  I'm sorry, genuinely sorry ,if you are amongst those who liked them but apart from one character out of 4 box sets nothing grabs me .......that one character was 'Freeze' & that's the sort of character I want .

On 1/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, buttheadsmate said:

Y'see I thought Gotham Minimates were in the same league as Netflix Marvel Minimates ........drab .  I'm sorry, genuinely sorry ,if you are amongst those who liked them but apart from one character out of 4 box sets nothing grabs me .......that one character was 'Freeze' & that's the sort of character I want .

I literally do not know what possessed them to get this license and then treat it this way. Then to take the most marquee name in the show, Jada, and then not make a minimate of her even though the show was partially driven by her... Especially when the Arrowverse was sitting right there. I bought the box sets out of misguided loyalty and thinking that maybe this was the door they needed to get us back DC mates, Arrowverse, or more. But as media plan after media plan came in and I passed on buying on Gotham in favour for CW I was just... sad.

13 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Freeze should have been the tip of the iceberg, a sign of the greatness to come for Gotham Minimates. Instead it just sunk the ship because someone was asleep at the wheel.

This is the piece of hope I had that maybe something exciting was going to happen... and then they pulled this nonsense with TMNT were the costumes and characters we wanted were saved to the end when the line was dead. But seriously what did we expect after years of begging for more than just Original Trek and Buffy Mates.

• 1 month later...

I'm not into buying too many DVDs or Blue these days but I'm tempted to lash out on the Red Son Blu Ray that I spotted this morning ........anyone else up for it?

I studied the Red Son Minimates this morning & I must say they that they look great when you compare them with the characters in the movie .

TBQH I always considered that the Wave 8 Red Son set was a bit of a runt........ which shows yet again WTF would I know?   

Gotta love how Diana towers over Clark in the package.

I was happy with all of them. Series 8 continued to show where DC Direct was willing to go with character assortment. Many Elseworlds character designs were pretty popular so another Red Son set would have been nice, as would a Gotham by Gaslight offering.

As for the home video, I haven't bothered with many of the adaptations since I've already read the books and the animation doesn't wow me. Maybe I'll check it out when it hits DCU.

I am a fan of the Red Son alternative story line.  It was well written and Dave Johnson's artwork is a thing of beauty, IMO.  I also agree about Gotham by Gaslight.