UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates

asu928

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

If DCC is moving away from lower SKUs on conventional action figures, I can't see them being particularly interested in cheaper block figures.

DCC is still offering single figures in the 6.75" scale for $26 but I think that has a lot more to do with not stepping on Mattel's toes, which they've done a LOT of lately. Since no one else is offering 2" block figures, there's a chance but I'd say it's pretty slim. 

30 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

When the DC 'mates were being released they were worth the extra .....................a contemporary Marvel minimate was not even in the same league .

True. DC offered more accessories and larger characters with 2.5" bodies at DC's insistence as I recall. I remember being wowed by the props in the Green Arrow/Deathstroke set in particular.

However, my LCS owner said DC Minimates wouldn't move at the higher MSRP so they took a hit and lowered it to $7. 

The weird thing about this is I didn't even remember there was a price point difference. I just knew there was a quality/coolness difference.I wasn't fan of the character selection/pairings always but that's a common problem with me and overall I feel with DC merch. Even though I love them dearly I don't think they were as predominate back when the line was launched. Now thanks to their cartoons, tv shows and movies more DC characters are more popular and probably would have sold well, better. 

5 hours ago, MisterPL said:

This would end up being the same thing we got with Georg Brewer and DC Direct. DCC would be using DST as a third-party manufacturer to produce DC Minimates. No licensing required. 

Do you think that DCC can make whatever they want? The DC licensing field has changed since then, there are other licensors to consider. Between juggernauts like  Mattel and Lego and Funko, it is far from an open field.

Edited by DSTZach

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

DCC is still offering single figures in the 6.75" scale for $26 but I think that has a lot more to do with not stepping on Mattel's toes, which they've done a LOT of lately. Since no one else is offering 2" block figures, there's a chance but I'd say it's pretty slim. 

I've heard that DCC is moving away somewhat from action figures in favour of statues, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

DC Minimates were definitely more impressive than their Marvel contemporaries, even if I don't particularly like some of their design choices (bulky chests, slipcover masks, 2.5" 'mates...).

13 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Do you think that DCC can make whatever they want? The DC licensing field has changed since then, there are other licensors to consider. Between juggernauts like  Mattel and Lego and Funko, it is far from an open field.

I never said DCC can make whatever they want. I said they don't need a license.

LEGO's category isn't really an issue unless someone wants to go the C3 route again, which would be a disaster. Again.

Funko isn't an issue since WBCP has proven they've not problem splitting hairs with that particular category.

I already addressed Mattel's relationship with DCC but just to clarify; Mattel obviously pays a lot of money to have some exclusivity in the action figure category. DCC and Mattel have been offering the same figures at the same scale at the same price often in the same market. That's a known problem that DCC's addressing by moving to higher price points and slightly larger scales.

If there's a licensing issue I believe it's with Mezco and their 2-inch, overpriced, articulated mini-figures.

13 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I've heard that DCC is moving away somewhat from action figures in favour of statues, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. 

It makes sense since there's probably a much better profit margin on $100 statues than $28 action figures. Based on recent solicitations, it looks like DCC is favoring higher price points everywhere, offering action figure multipacks and vehicles, rarely dipping below a $50 MSRP. While the resurrected Essentials line shown at SDCC has an MSRP of $26 the Animated line has been offering 2-packs, 5-packs, and vehicles from $50 – $175. That might have something to do with Mattel saying, "Hey, our 6" figures are one of our strongest categories for DC. Do something to differentiate yourself, pretty please."

I disagree with that completely, I see LEGO as the main reason we aren't getting Minimates.  WB/DC has a lot riding on the success of the DC/LEGO partnership, and they aren't going to do anything to potentially dilute that relationship.  While there may not be an "official" reason for not offering the license to DST for Minimates, by simply doing LEGO the courtesy of not creating brand competition, DC is strengthening that relationship and their bottom line.  Lets be honest, despite LEGO being the closest cousin to Minimates, Minimates aren't really competition to LEGO, but to the consumer brand confusion is a real thing, and when LEGO is selling $60 - $100 sets with Minifigs, they certainly don't want to be undercut by a competitor selling $10 packs of just characters, that a lot of kids would be happy with who don't care about vehicles/playsets.

41 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

But...but.... surely Marvel has a relationship ( I avoided the 'partnership' word) with Lego that does not seem to affect the DST/Marvel  Minimate relationship ? I'm not trying to be a clever-ass just a tad confused .

We've been making Marvel Minimates since 2003. We have NEVER made DC Minimates, only made them for other people who had the license. Most new licenses do not void existing licenses, unless those licenses were already expiring and are not renewed, but an existing license CAN prevent a new license from being signed.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I never said DCC can make whatever they want. I said they don't need a license.

My understanding is that they need a LACK of a license -- a license-shaped void, if you will -- which is essentially the same thing. Other companies' licenses can prevent them from doing things, and I believe they can prevent others from doing them. It's just difference in paperwork.

2 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

But...but.... surely Marvel has a relationship ( I avoided the 'partnership' word) with Lego that does not seem to affect the DST/Marvel  Minimate relationship ? I'm not trying to be a clever-ass just a tad confused .

Not one to the extent where Box Office returns are concerned.

Edited by youbastards

6 hours ago, youbastards said:

LEGO is selling $60 - $100 sets with Minifigs, they certainly don't want to be undercut by a competitor selling $10 packs of just characters, that a lot of kids would be happy with who don't care about vehicles/playsets.

I care about playsets and vehicles A LOT and It hasn't allowed me to justify purchasing Legos for a longgggg time. They're just too expensive and don't have enough detail/articulation for me. 

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

I'm picturing a scenario where LEGO is so concerned about Minimates that they buy Art Asylum.

Don't you dare put that nightmare in my head. I need Marvel wave 2099 in the very distant future when I'm buying minimates for me AND my grandkids. 

22 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I'm picturing a scenario where LEGO is so concerned about Minimates that they buy Art Asylum.

Not funny. Not even a little bit.

Hasbro bought Galoob. They still offer Micro Machines under that brand name. It's all about the IP and branding, baby. I'd be more likely to buy Art Asylum Minimates than Mattel Minimates.

Imagine the reaction if Disney started a toy company called Toy Biz.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:22 AM, youbastards said:

I disagree with that completely, I see LEGO as the main reason we aren't getting Minimates.  WB/DC has a lot riding on the success of the DC/LEGO partnership, and they aren't going to do anything to potentially dilute that relationship.  While there may not be an "official" reason for not offering the license to DST for Minimates, by simply doing LEGO the courtesy of not creating brand competition, DC is strengthening that relationship and their bottom line.  Lets be honest, despite LEGO being the closest cousin to Minimates, Minimates aren't really competition to LEGO, but to the consumer brand confusion is a real thing, and when LEGO is selling $60 - $100 sets with Minifigs, they certainly don't want to be undercut by a competitor selling $10 packs of just characters, that a lot of kids would be happy with who don't care about vehicles/playsets.

@DSTchuck agrees with @youbastards. At C2E2 he pretty much closed the door on both DC and Star Wars and said it was because of LEGO. The later possibly to a lesser extent for the LEGO reason. The LEGO Batman movie was also mentioned as a reason the DC/LEGO bond was strong.

Could it simply be that those are separate licenses that are available to DST because they don't appeal to LEGO's core demographic and/or aren't prominent enough to capture their interest because LEGO produces product for a global market?

Regardless, Chuck doesn't plan to "fight the fight" anymore as DST has been told to stop asking about the license.  

I agree completely.

In 10 to 15 years, once the 3rd or 4th LEGO Batman movie has started to not bring in as much revenue, or the videogame franchise isn't selling very well on the Nintendo Bubble,  PS6 or XBox Three EX, WB/LEGO may re-evaluate the partnership and the license may find it's way to DST.

Never say never.

1 hour ago, youbastards said:

Could it simply be that those are separate licenses that are available to DST because they don't appeal to LEGO's core demographic and/or aren't prominent enough to capture their interest because LEGO produces product for a global market? 

I'm sure that's exactly it. LEGO clearly has far more interest in feature film and evergreen incarnations of DC characters. I've yet to see them offer anything based on animated series like Young Justice or Teen Titans or any of the CW shows. That could be another way in.