asu928

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On April 3, 2017 at 3:00 PM, MisterMiracle said:

Ask DST #352: Minimates

Jason R.
Hello! With the announcement of DC Vinimates, I’ve got to ask: What do we have to do to get DC Mnimates? Spam DC Collectibles? Buy the hell out of the DC Vinis? Tell us, and we’re gonna do it. I mean, this is our chance to get them back, right? You’ve got the comics, film, game and TV show licenses. All we need now is minis of them. Don’t get me wrong, the Vinis look cool and all, but the Minimates are where it’s at. Thanks for taking the time to read my question and answer it!

DSTChuck: There are no plans for DC Minimates now or in the future. Sorry, I think that time has passed. 

Edited by J-rodst

Chuck said at C2E2 that DC is particular with their license and that the 'action figures' category is locked up, and pointed out concerns with the LEGO Batman movie.

The DC Vinimates are more like DC Statimates and will have NO articulation, because of action figure concerns/constraints.

He said he would still say never say never and that they ask every year at Toy Fair. 

13 minutes ago, Onyx_6 said:

Chuck said at C2E2 that DC is particular with their license and that the 'action figures' category is locked up, and pointed out concerns with the LEGO Batman movie.

The DC Vinimates are more like DC Statimates and will have NO articulation, because of action figure concerns/constraints.

He said he would still say never say never and that they ask every year at Toy Fair. 

So they won't even have neck articulation? That's too bad.

It's weird that that doesn't match his recent statement in Ask DST though.

14 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

DC should be begging for as many ways to get their material out there as possible. DC movies are flat for the most part since the second Nolan batman film. They have TV but that's a big step down from the big screen. I have no interest in the action figure lines they have except for hot toys.

Edited by J-rodst

• 1 month later...

I believe what Chuck meant was that DC was particular in the sense that they didn't want good products with their license.

I kid, but it is a shame that DC is so worried about pissing off Lego and Imaginext that they won't do Minimates, but I guess it makes sense. 

Bummer to hear though. 

Any chance that Keaton Mez-Itz Batmobile will scale with minimates?

Edit: Nevermind saw some better pics of it. No dice.

Edited by SCW

I don't think they're worried about Imaginext/Mattel. If they were, they wouldn't be allowing other manufacturers like NECA and their own DC Collectibles to offer action figures. 

If LEGO is truly the problem (and I have my doubts because construction sets are a completely different product category), what if the solution was to remove the peg holes in the feet, or at least make them a size incompatible with anything LEGO produces?

I think it is the 'mini-figure' category that may be the problem. Hence the lack of ANY movement on the DC Vinimates.

There have probably been a dozen different styles of mini-figures offered by a variety of manufacturers since DC Minimates bit the dust. (Blammoids, Squatz, Kore Ja Nai, Q-Blox, Trio...)  Mezco still offers Mez-Its and they have articulation. (Really lame articulation but it's there.)

Don't see how it couldn't be Lego and Imaginext. It was mentioned that it was two larger licensees and that's the only two big names that work with DC that are even remotely similar.

Yeah, there's lots of other crappy DC mini figures of all types, but it's gotta be Lego and Mattel that are the issues here and I'm guessing the big one is Lego.

I doubt Lego put their foot down or anything, just guessing that someone at WB doesn't want to poke the bear.

Vini-mates still sort of look like Lego guys, so that's why no articulation there I'd guess. Plus Lego does stuff that's similar with their big Lego figs and such. 

• 3 weeks later...

I recall DC Direct having logistics trouble (via DST) which ended up with a glut of DC Minimates suddenly flooding the pegs. I believe the original release schedule was to be one assortment every six months but due to a logjam at the factory and subsequent purge, the first four assortments hit within a couple months of each other. There was barely any time to clear the inventory before the next wave arrived.

And I still have a tough time believing it's LEGO. They have a problem sharing DC but not Marvel, Back to the Future, SpongeBob Squarepants, Ghostbusters, or TMNT? That doesn't make sense.

26 minutes ago, hellpop said:

That still doesn't explain why they can't make Minimates for, say, the Arrowverse shows.

Where do I sell my kidney to make this happen? Seriously, where?

I can say with some authority that DST has asked about it, and that Gotham, IZombie, and presumably Watchmen are meant at least in part to test the waters. Whether it'll happen or not, though, who knows.

34 minutes ago, hellpop said:

That still doesn't explain why they can't make Minimates for, say, the Arrowverse shows.

Can't or won't? I'd argue there's some reluctance on the part of DST to dive into the Arrowverse despite the fact that Gotham has gotten to five releases with only one costumed figure.

Look at how hesitant DST has been to offer Minimates based on Marvel TV series, shows that are ostensibly part of the same MCU that they pillage for material with every film release. Agents of SHIELD is going on its 5th season on broadcast television but we still don't have Minimates based on that series. It apparently took a huge leap of faith for DST to even consider any Marvel Netflix assortments. Then we only got box sets.

If they have a chance at offering Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning... hell, even Constantine, they'd be fools not to try. I know Chuck's a big Batman fan, though, so it's hard to believe he isn't trying to find a way to make this happen.

DCC has no licenses. As a division of Warner Bros. they've never needed one for to offer DC product. However, Warner Bros. Consumer Products doesn't want DCC stepping on the toes of paying licensees, especially Mattel.

If Mattel's agreement covers DC TV action figures in the 2" scale then, yeah, that would keep anyone else from offering them. And DST prefers to offer more than just Minimates so another lucrative category would have to be open as well. With iZombie it was 7" figures. With Watchmen it's Vinimates, I suppose.