UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 55 - X-Men Themed?

monkeycrumb

Seems to me the problem with the Brotherhood is that the characters are "important" rather than popular. They have a long history of... existing. They're kind of like the Wrecking Crew in that there are various reasons why the group is notable but the characters aren't terribly compelling. And the costumes are pretty bad.

The Brotherhood's costumes are awesome.
Pyro, Mystique,Destiny and Avalanche? Sure.

Toad, Blob and Mastermind? Not so much.

No they're all awesome.

Blob is a flat bloke in a wrestling singlet. Makes sense given his carnival background.

Toad was portrayed as Magneto's lackey early on, the court jester look makes sense.

And Mastermind doesn't have a costume.

I'm not saying that the costumes don't make sense but they are kinda bland. I doubt a 10 year old kid who hasn't read comics before and has only seen some movies would walk to the marvel aisle, and say: "Holy cow! An obese guy in a swimsuit,sweet! Mommy,mommy,mommy, i want that one!".

The brotherhhod might be a classic but nowadays it's long forgotten. The last few brotherhood stories haven't been quite memorable. They must be done in an xmen wave where each famous xman is paired with one brotherhood member like toad or mastermind. There is just no other way to market them. Alpha Flight was full of colorfull costumes and it didn't sell that well, when compared to other boxsets. Imagine a boxset with an obese guy in a swimsuit, an ugly jester and a guy in a brown coat. If you broke them down like this:

Magneto

Toad

Pyro

Mastermind

Mystique

Avalance

Quicksilver

Blob

And a sabretooth/destiny two pack

Yeah, then i could see it selling but it needs some re-releases of known characters.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was that 10 year old kid in 1995 who moved heaven and earth trying to find that X-Force Blob figure. And I checked Toy Fair year after year after year for a Toad which never came.

"shrugs"

What do I know?

If you read comics and like the xmen that's normal but i was talking about the general audience. Kids today aren't that deep into comics and the movies are their first experiences. If Blob,toad,etc take center stage again and with new costumes i understand but you can't expect from kids today to see blob,toad,mastermind and scream "Hell Yeah!" if the pack doesn't contain wolverine, magneto, or another cool looking and known figure.

There is some merit to packing well known characters with lesser known, I'll agree there. But I do think people over generalize what kids want. They don't want just IronMan. They need people for him to beat up. Sometimes if characters look cool, that's all that's needed. Ninja Turtles survived on that mentality for a long time. I had friends when I was younger who were not into comics that bought the figures. They had their fair share of Wolverines, but stuff like Omega Red and Sauron was very popular just because they looked awesome. I do think Blob looks awesome, Toad does too but I can understand why people might disagree on him.

There is some merit to packing well known characters with lesser known, I'll agree there. But I do think people over generalize what kids want. They don't want just IronMan. They need people for him to beat up. Sometimes if characters look cool, that's all that's needed. Ninja Turtles survived on that mentality for a long time. I had friends when I was younger who were not into comics that bought the figures. They had their fair share of Wolverines, but stuff like Omega Red and Sauron was very popular just because they looked awesome. I do think Blob looks awesome, Toad does too but I can understand why people might disagree on him.

That's what i've been saying though we haven't seen any ghost rider mates in a while except series 50. He's a biker ith a flaming skull, what more do you need? Still, he doesn't sell just as much as iron man since he isn't well known. Kids want both a known character and a cool character. Blob is neither of those (he's comic book cool but not 8 year old cool) so he must come with wolverine,magneto,mystique,rogue (her legacy costume is one of my most wanted mates),etc.

It was stated by DST that there were reasons why we didn't get Ghost Rider for a while. Can't find the exact post but I know it was said. May have had something to do with Gary Friedrich's court case.

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I think Blob looks cool period. Comic book cool. 8 year old kid cool. Other side of the pillow cool. Agree to disagree?

It was stated by DST that there were reasons why we didn't get Ghost Rider for a while. Can't find the exact post but I know it was said. May have had something to do with Gary Friedrich's court case.

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I think Blob looks cool period. Comic book cool. 8 year old kid cool. Other side of the pillow cool. Agree to disagree?

Yeah, that GR part is true. Though he's safe now since the issue has been resolved. As for the brotherhood,yeah, let's agree to disagree. The completionist in me wants them but i can't say i like the costumes and the characters. I'd buy them only because they're classic characters.

I think we're forgetting to factor in accessories. I remember when I was little, an accessory could heavily influence me. I'm not exactly sure what you could do with toad or blob, but pyro and avalanche could hold some very very cool things. Just look at the most recent human torch. But, if needed, I could take another sabertooth or magneto. My main point with them, however, is that I don't see what could be done to them anymore to update them.

I think we're forgetting to factor in accessories. I remember when I was little, an accessory could heavily influence me. I'm not exactly sure what you could do with toad or blob, but pyro and avalanche could hold some very very cool things. Just look at the most recent human torch. But, if needed, I could take another sabertooth or magneto. My main point with them, however, is that I don't see what could be done to them anymore to update them.

Other costumes. They both had their own fair share of varied looks.

I also wonder why we have not gotten a Sebastian Shaw or any of the other male figures from the Hellfire club considering it has been over three years since we got a Black Queen Selene, Black Queen Jean Grey, and even Hellfire club guards.

It would be nice to see:

Sebastian Shaw

Harry Leland

Donald Pierce

Been thinking long and hard on this one based off of everyone's comments. The comment that struck me the most is that even though some of these characters have longevity they lack in importance. These are the characters I have often gravitated to. Guess I like the under dogs. Regardless, I would

LCS

1. Avalanche & Marvel Now Cyclops

2. 90's X-Factor Strong Guy & Polaris

3. Jim Lee X-Men Banshee (extra leg and head for Forge) & Blob

TRU

1. Siryn & Warpath

2. 90's X-Factor Havok (with Marvel Now Head) & Sunfire

3. Jim Lee X-Men Uniform Wolverine & Cecelia Reyes

4. Jim Lee X-Men Uniform Wolverine & Jim Lee X-Men Uniform Psylocke

I have this weird obsession with team uniforms and really want a full set of Jim Lee's Strike Force X-Men.

If we did get an x wave I would like it to plug a few holes.

Banshee, Sunfire

90's X-factor Havok, Polaris

X-Factor Wolfsbane, Multiple Man

Strong Guy, Multiple Man

TRU wave

AOA Banshee, Female Sunfire

X-Force Syrin, Warpath

Forge, Multiple Man

Sheild Agernt Wolverine, Multiple Man

replace female Sunfire with AoA Iceman and add in alternate parts for Warpath ( either to represent bit Liefeld and Capullo's designs or to create Thunderbird) and I will preorder a case right now

Edited by Mnemosis

Nope, just the usual rampant speculation. Actually, based on the NYCC news post on artasylum.com referencing news about Captain America: Winter Soldier during the Minimates panel, I'd say 55 being a Cap movie wave might be a better bet at this point. I still think the next comic wave (56?) has a good shot at being an X wave.

I always read everybody's guessings, but I never really gave it a try. Though I can't say a whole wave, I have a suggestion about a boxset that occurred to me while I was reading Dazzler's Essential...

- Disco Dazzler (imagine if we got rollerblades for her!!)

- Mystique (a redo for her wouldn't hurt)

- Destiny (classic and complete with an extra head with sunglasses!)

- First appearance Rogue (really nice green outfit with short hair)

What do you think? I'm not sure a 4-pack with only female mates would sell like water in the desert, but I'd buy it with a damn smile on my face, that's for sure! :)

I always read everybody's guessings, but I never really gave it a try. Though I can't say a whole wave, I have a suggestion about a boxset that occurred to me while I was reading Dazzler's Essential...

What do you think? I'm not sure a 4-pack with only female mates would sell like water in the desert, but I'd buy it with a damn smile on my face, that's for sure! smile.png

I'd buy it.

Been thinking long and hard on this one based off of everyone's comments. The comment that struck me the most is that even though some of these characters have longevity they lack in importance. These are the characters I have often gravitated to. Guess I like the under dogs. Regardless, I would

LCS

1. Avalanche & Marvel Now Cyclops

2. 90's X-Factor Strong Guy & Polaris

3. Jim Lee X-Men Banshee (extra leg and head for Forge) & Blob

TRU

1. Siryn & Warpath

2. 90's X-Factor Havok (with Marvel Now Head) & Sunfire

3. Jim Lee X-Men Uniform Wolverine & Cecelia Reyes

4. Jim Lee X-Men Uniform Wolverine & Jim Lee X-Men Uniform Psylocke

I have this weird obsession with team uniforms and really want a full set of Jim Lee's Strike Force X-Men.

The blue and yellow uniforms need to be done as a box set like New Mutants.

Gambit with parts extra parts for Forge

Banshee with parts for Muir Island Legion

Psylocke with parts for Muir Island Polaris

Jubilee with parts for young Storm

Then follow it up with a TRU pack of

Muir Island Guido and adult Storm with extra parts to make Moira

What do you think? I'm not sure a 4-pack with only female mates would sell like water in the desert, but I'd buy it with a damn smile on my face, that's for sure! smile.png

I'd buy it.

Me too, Disco Dazzler is my biggest Xmen want, though I would swap one of the other 3 for Enchantress - she did fight her in her first 2 issues!

If we did get an x wave I would like it to plug a few holes.

Banshee, Sunfire

90's X-factor Havok, Polaris

X-Factor Wolfsbane, Multiple Man

Strong Guy, Multiple Man

TRU wave

AOA Banshee, Female Sunfire

X-Force Syrin, Warpath

Forge, Multiple Man

Sheild Agernt Wolverine, Multiple Man

replace female Sunfire with AoA Iceman and add in alternate parts for Warpath ( either to represent bit Liefeld and Capullo's designs or to create Thunderbird) and I will preorder a case right now

GODS YES. pray.gif

Other costumes. They both had their own fair share of varied looks.

You caught me in a blinding duh moment. What if this is not an X-men wave, but a comic spidey? We're getting the cap wave near the Winter Soldier wave, so why not a comic spidey next to ASM2? 2014 makes me nervous. So many films. The waves are going to feel like a mesh of crazy.