UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Super7 x Funko ReAction Retro figures

youbastards

Damn Eagle Force. I had nearly all of those back when I was young, Along with a Jeep and an amphibious vehicle. I remember buying them as they where sold in a shop that got its stock from discontinued lines etc that had been sent back to the main stores warehouses and then sold on to discount stores. So these things where pocket money cheap and I mean real cheap so I was able to get them back when I was young.

I also recall buying from the same shop the Tron figures that where clear coloured plastic with glow in the dark accessories.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My set of the Alien ReAction figures today. They're pretty cool, provided you're into the style of them. Ripley's probably my favorite, but the Alien and Kane are both pretty good too. The likeness on Kane is actually pretty good considering the time period it was sculpted during. I really hope Funko decides to do a second wave with the rest of the crew and maybe Ripley on her space suit.

AlienSeries1.jpg

• 1 month later...

So today, several prototypes are shown off for figures from Terminator and Escape from New York. They all look similar to the Aliens ones. One thing I'm really shocked to see is a T1 Sarah Connor. Too bad neither DST nor Hot Toys has the guts to do this figure.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU3852#.UvUnXvldU40

FU3914lg.jpg

Predator looks silly! biggrin.png

FU3919lg.jpg

Plissken looks like he stepped out of a cartoon. These newly developed lines are made to look retro (unlike ALIEN which were ACTUALLY created from vintage molds) aren't giving me much hope, the card art is cooler than the figures.

FU3905lg.jpg

Edited by youbastards

It's hard to explain, the ALIEN figures look like legitimate retro figures from the 80's, while these new announcements look like modern figures trying to pass as 80's retro figures. I think its the neck designs, as silly as that sounds.

The old Kenner figures rarely had necks, and the swivel joint was directly under the chin.

HanSoloBespin1.jpgindianajones.jpgLeiaHoth1.jpg

It's hard to explain, the ALIEN figures look like legitimate retro figures from the 80's, while these new announcements look like modern figures trying to pass as 80's retro figures. I think its the neck designs, as silly as that sounds.

It sounds a bit silly at first, but you're right. The neck joints are too low, which makes the necks look a bit long. I don't mind the figures, but that does bug me ever so slightly.

I sold off and traded all of my other toy collections once I started in with Minimates. But this is the first line that has gone beyond "I like these, maybe I'll buy one" to "I definitely want to buy those". The biggest hesitation for me comes from Funko being involved. I would expect very low run variants/exclusives to be a pain.

The old Kenner figures rarely had necks, and the swivel joint was directly under the chin.

HanSoloBespin1.jpgindianajones.jpgLeiaHoth1.jpg

I see. I didn't realize these weren't trying to capture the same basic design that the Star Wars figures had. A mistake on the designers' part IMO.

I see. I didn't realize these weren't trying to capture the same basic design that the Star Wars figures had. A mistake on the designers' part IMO.

Most likely my expectations just weren't set properly, my understanding was they were going to mimick the vintage Kenner design aesthetics on all of the new lines going forward, but obviously it isn't 100% accurate to vintage Kenner. Look at the Kenner Indy figure, Ford had a pretty prominent 5 o'clock shadow in Raiders, but Kenner chose to leave his face clean. For the Plissken figure, Funko decided to give him a full beard even though it wasn't really that dark. The little design variations like that really stand out to me that these aren't "retro", just trying to pass for it. Edited by youbastards

Hmm, yeah the lower joint cut is definitely giving some of these a "fat neck" look, it's a shame the designers weren't paying better attention to the Kenner inspiration. I was also hoping they'd stick with the SW-inspired black border cardbacks, like the Alien figures had. And with the big separate helmet the Rocketeer looks a bit bobble-headed.

Not thrilled so far, but I might grab the Sarah Connor and chrome T-800 if they look okay in person.

Some of the likenesses are better than the vintage Star Wars. I'd guess they couldnt get BTTF likeness rights since they are the only generic cardbacks. I'm loving these. The Goonies are really well done. So far the worst ones are Angel, Oz, and George McFly. I'm buying all of these. If they were more than $10, I'd skip a bunch. But the price is just right.Love that Trick or Treat Sam.

I bought an Alien back when EE had these on sale. It is a cool figure and really very similar to the old Kenner SW figures. I won't get any of the others, but these are fun for what they are.

Along with the neck difference from old Kenner figures, I think one of the biggest issues with many of these figures (for me at least) is the generic, smooth torsos. Both Butch and Mal look like they have no wrinkles at all in their shirts, just makes the figures look cheap and lazy to me.

At least the Jason figure and Rocketeer still look decent enough to me (Though I'd probably buy the worst Rocketeer 3 3/4" figure just to have a Rocketeer figure :) )

I'm buying every single one. I'm an old school Kenner fan, so for me this would be like Minimates triumphant return after a 20 year hiatus. I do hope they improve a few of these sculpts, but most I like just fine. The Alien figure even smells like vintage Kenner plastic. The nostalgia is very strong for me.

I wasn't interested in these, but I thought there might be a chance I would be tempted by the Firefly figures. There's no chance now. They miss the Kenner aesthetic by a wide margin, they manage to look worse than vintage figures, and they'll probably have typical Funko quality. No thanks.

. . .makes the figures look cheap and lazy to me.

Well, $10 for a specialty figure in today's market is extremely cheap, and to some extent you're gonna get what you pay for I reckon. And when they're producing about 10,000 figures at once like this, they're bound to be lazy with the designs.

Personally, I would prefer that they just stick to a handful of the more iconic characters, and give them more care and attention (Marty McFly and the T-800 for example), as opposed to just haphazardly slapping together every secondary character they can think of from each franchise. But I'm not the audience for this to begin with, and I hope they do well just because I would love to see others take more chances on figures from these franchises.

Edited by karamazov80