UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What corner of the 616 Marvel Universe has been most neglected?

youbastards

Yeah, it is a lot. Especially since cosmic has never really been a top tier for Marvel. There's a difference between neglected and characters that just haven't been made yet from your wish list. I would argue that Minimates have better represented the cosmic side of things better than any line in history.

These things aren't on my wishlist. my wishlist has a ton of Spider-Man, Hulk and Avengers stuff before the cosmic ones. Cosmic has always played a big role in the Marvel u. The Pheonix Force. The Infinity Gauntlet Saga. Infinity. Galactus appearing every other week. And there are many classic stuff that are still missing. The Starjammers. Death's Head. The space knights. The Inhumans. Marvel is pushing the cosmic stuff a lot lately (infinity, ex nihilo, inhumanity, the silver surfer getting his own book, gotg) so i would say that we still miss a buttload of stuff. Ad to that that most of these things tie with the Xmen, the ff and the avengers. The Shi'ar tie with the xmen. GotG tie with the Avengers. The inhumans tie with the ff.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go with Daredevil.

We've gotten multiple versions of the character himself, his assassin ex-girlfriend, the guy who killed her, and DD's arch enemy but that's about as far as it goes.

Don't get me wrong; Stilt-Man is awesome but Daredevil needs more love:

Foggy Nelson

Karen Page

Ben Urich

Stick

Echo

The Owl

Purple Man

Lady Bullseye

Mister Fear

Typhoid Mary

Paladin

The Original Ani-Men

Daredevil to me is the biggest by far, I can't think of another character who is the headliner of an ongoing title that has been published for so long that has received less attention. Thor as well, but he's also getting whole box sets and waves devoted to him from comics and movies. Daredevil has himself, Kingpin, Elsktra and Bullseye. And Stilt-Man technically, but he was thrown into an Iron Man wave. I think the reason he stands out the most to me is because I think in their eyes DST thinks that Daredevil is done, that there's no one else worth making in his corner of the MU, unless a movie revitalizes him.

the most neglected of the major characters is yes probably Daredevil

but I guess the one i'd like to see more attention for is the Guardians of the Galaxy, who i now consider to be major characters

we really need to see: (pretty much anyone cosmic)

Gladiator

Ronan

Supreme Intelligence

Groot

Starlord

Drax (modern)

Rocket Raccoon

the rest of the Inhumans

Mantis

Rom or other Space Knights

Nebula

Korath

Yondu

Vance Astro

Charlie 27

so SO many more

Most neglected?

Villains [but since this is broad and cheat-y...] TIE: Thor villains, Daredevil villains:

THOR: Surtur, Ymir, Enchantress, Executioner, Ulik, Kurse, Malekith, Man-Gog, Lorelei, Hela, Karnilla, Pluto, Fafnir, Ares (classic), Tyr, Seth

DAREDEVIL: Purple Man, Gladiator, Mr. Hyde, Cobra, Owl, Jester, Mr. Fear, Man-Bull

Honorable Mention:

MONSTERS: e.g. Tim Boo Baa, Fin Fang Foom, Elektro, Googam, Gorgilla, Scarlet Beetle, Xemnu, Groot, Blip, Diablo, Taboo, Goom, ULYSSES BLOODSTONE :)

To be fair, Daredevil did get his own wave fairly recently (Shadowland). That being said, we do have a severe shortage of DD villains, and I would be happy to see DST remedy this in the future.

That may have been based on a Daredevil storyline, but that's not what any of us are thinking of when we say we want a Daredevil wave. I see your point, but it doesn't really feel like a Daredevil wave.

People will probably boo and hiss at me for this, but i feel like the X-Men still have some of the most notable absences in Minimate form.

The Brotherhood of Mutants has appeared in almost every incarnation of the X-Men we've ever seen. They were in all 3 Animated series, 4 live action films (although in very different forms) and many video games.... yet we still have not seen a 616 Toad, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche, Mastermind, or Destiny (yeah ok - we may *never* get those last two).

Perhaps it's the age that i am at, but the animated X-Men show of the 90's seemed like it was pretty well liked & successful (despite it's often poor production values). I feel like if you asked the average non x-men fan who the brotherhood of mutants is, they could name two or 3 of them pretty easily. I don't know if the same could be said if you asked Joe Average to name members of the Masters of Evil, or anyone from Daredevils rogues gallery. Outside of Kingpin, Elektra & Bullseye, the casual fan probably couldn't name many more.

I actually feel like Hulk is a little short of supporting characters and villains. Again though, i'm not sure how many Joe Averages could name more than a couple of Hulk supporting cast members. I'd love to see Zzzax get made - but do many people know/want him?

I know very little about areas of the MU like Ghost Rider & Daredevil. Perhaps they are very overlooked.... but my bias towards books that i'm familiar with makes me see character omissions such as BOM, Banshee & Forge seem bigger than not getting Owl, Wendigo or Blackheart.

I want Zzzax in a big bad way. So there's at least two of us. I'm still mystified by the lack of a Brotherhoof. I'm glad we got Alpha Flight, but a few years ago if you told me we'd have a complete Alpha Flight before we had Blob, Toad, Pyro and Avalanche I'd have said you were crazy.

Captain Britain is a kind of major character (he has headlines one book or another since the early 70's) so I think the Captain Britain corps might be a nice boxset. Actually Imagine if it was like the recent Deadpool box but taken even further with lots of union jack inspired parts that can be combined 20 or so different ways (OK i'm officially dreaming now). Mind you without the good captain we wouldn't even have the 616 as a concept.

People will probably boo and hiss at me for this, but i feel like the X-Men still have some of the most notable absences in Minimate form.

The Brotherhood of Mutants has appeared in almost every incarnation of the X-Men we've ever seen. They were in all 3 Animated series, 4 live action films (although in very different forms) and many video games.... yet we still have not seen a 616 Toad, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche, Mastermind, or Destiny (yeah ok - we may *never* get those last two).

Perhaps it's the age that i am at, but the animated X-Men show of the 90's seemed like it was pretty well liked & successful (despite it's often poor production values). I feel like if you asked the average non x-men fan who the brotherhood of mutants is, they could name two or 3 of them pretty easily. I don't know if the same could be said if you asked Joe Average to name members of the Masters of Evil, or anyone from Daredevils rogues gallery. Outside of Kingpin, Elektra & Bullseye, the casual fan probably couldn't name many more.

I actually feel like Hulk is a little short of supporting characters and villains. Again though, i'm not sure how many Joe Averages could name more than a couple of Hulk supporting cast members. I'd love to see Zzzax get made - but do many people know/want him?

I know very little about areas of the MU like Ghost Rider & Daredevil. Perhaps they are very overlooked.... but my bias towards books that i'm familiar with makes me see character omissions such as BOM, Banshee & Forge seem bigger than not getting Owl, Wendigo or Blackheart.

Boo! Hiss! No, not really. I actually totally agree that the brotherhood are a big current omission (and surprising as they weren't in the wave 50 poll) which I would like to see rectified even though I'm not an xmen fan. However, as a corner of the MU, if I look at my xmen/mutant display next to my thor, avengers, hulk, daredevil, guardians of the galaxy (lol) ones etc they don't seem to be at all under-represented in general. If the line ended tomorrow I wouldn't feel like the xmen had been short-changed, well except maybe for a disco dazzler, whereas I definitely would on most of those others, especially thor.

I feel like this question ultimately boils down to wish-listing. Now, I'm not complaining, mind you. But, I agree the X-Men are not in short supply. I agree that Thor villains are scarce. If given the choice between one final wave of X-Men or Thor, I would vote Thor out of sheer preference.

With that being said, I feel like the Mystic/Monster side of the MU goes unexplored. Son of Satan, Devil-Slayer, Shuma-Gorath, Baron Mordo, Black Heart, Johnny Blaze with hellfire shotgun, Man-Thing, Howard the Duck and the list goes on and on.

I'd love to see some more Ghost Rider villains like Deathwatch and Lilith. Or maybe supporting characters like a depowered Johnny Blaze or Old West Ghost Rider, Zarathos or Vengeance.

Most would argue that these aren't "tent pole" characters. But, I say that all comes down to perception. Because I own more Ghost Rider, Morbius and the like comic books than I do X-Men or Spider-Man.

But, I do agree that the BOEM need represented in minimate form. They've been around forever. And are iconic.

And, that's just my two cents..

I think we can all agree DST really needs a "Bring on the Bad Guys" LCS wave, maybe a subset wave along the lines of 'Best of', that doesn't follow the traditional numbering. They could work in new villains for multiple themes with a single wave and drop the army builder. If the boxset of Zombie Villains sells well, a wave dedicated to new villains could certainly work. Solicit them as the first time these characters have been released to help retailer awareness.

Here’s my thought process:

First we have to divide the characters into buckets. If we are talking the franchises we have:

Fantastic Four (Power Pack, Inhumans*, etc.)

Avengers (New, Mighty, Young, et al.)

Thor (Hercules, Asgard, Olympus, etc.)

Ironman

Captain America (Timely Comics, All Winners, Invaders)

Spider-Man (Silver Sable, Black Cat, Venom, etc.)

Hulk

Namor (Yes, Regina we are trying to make Fetch happen)

X-Men (Uncanny through X-Babies)

Wolverine (sure he’s an X-Man but he is his own machine churning out Alpha Flight, Lady Deathstrike, etc)

Dr. Strange (most magic)

Cosmic Defenders (Silver Surfer, GOTG, Quasar, Infinity Watch, Space Heroes)

Marvel Knights aka the street heroes (Daredevil, Moebius, Black Panther, Heroes for Hire, Moon Knight, Punisher, Cloak & Dagger, Ghost Rider, etc.)

Where sticking points lie are the cross character/world books. For example is Namor really a franchise or is he an Avenger, FF, X-Men or is Daredevil a franchise and Marvel Knights live under him?

New Warriors has connections to every corner (Night Thrasher – Marvel Knights, Nova – Cosmic Defenders & Fantastic Four, Namorita – Namor & Fantastic Four, Speedball – Spider-Man, Firestar – Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men, Marvel Boy/Justice – Avengers, Cosmic Defenders, and Fantastic Four.)

Runaways is the “spirit” sister of New Warriors bringing in all of the corners of the MU.

Titles like Cloak & Dagger started in Spidey, drifted into the Warriors, X-Men, and the Knights which are basically the street heroes.

Based off of characters I would say that surprisingly, The X-Men are still neglected considering the sheer amount of spin-off titles that have been associated with the franchise. X-Men can also be argued to be Marvel's main franchise especially for a good 20-25 year chunk.

I would rank Avengers second missing staples like the Masters of Evil, several members of their lineup, Young Avengers, and connections to space heroes.

Third would be the Cosmic Defenders no GOTG, Genis, Eternals, MoonDragon, Pip, etc.

Four Spider-Man Villans factory.

Then Thor.

That being said, my love is the Teen heroes set and i would be happy if I finally got my New Warriors completed. We have a Firestar, Cloak, Dagger, Nova, Penance (if I have to ). I would could live with that if I got a four pack set of Marvel Boy, Night Thrasher, Speedball, and Nita. Sure Rage and Sil are missing and I need an updated Firestar but at least I got one.

Edited by thereasonsy

Captain Britain is a kind of major character (he has headlines one book or another since the early 70's) so I think the Captain Britain corps might be a nice boxset. Actually Imagine if it was like the recent Deadpool box but taken even further with lots of union jack inspired parts that can be combined 20 or so different ways (OK i'm officially dreaming now). Mind you without the good captain we wouldn't even have the 616 as a concept.

As a comic-book character CB probably came at a bad time for me...."I'm far too old for comic books now " . I never really got into the pipe-smoking Merlinesque , ( ???) quintessential huh.png, English stereotypical Brit that is f*ck all like any reality character I could ever relate to .

However...................

Captain Britain deserves far better than what we have received thus far from the Asylum .

I can't think of two more disappointing minimates & I don't even feel any affinity to the character !

TBT gave me a custom of a rampant Lion version years ago...cherished Tim cherished yes.gif

As a comic-book character CB probably came at a bad time for me...."I'm far too old for comic books now " . I never really got into the pipe-smoking Merlinesque , ( ???) quintessential huh.png, English stereotypical Brit that is f*ck all like any reality character I could ever relate to .

However...................

Captain Britain deserves far better than what we have received thus far from the Asylum .

I can't think of two more disappointing minimates & I don't even feel any affinity to the character !

TBT gave me a custom of a rampant Lion version years ago...cherished Tim cherished yes.gif

Aww CB isn't THAT bad as a Mini. He just needs a bigger chest piece but besides taht the Excalibur one is ok. I can think of other minimates that have been done dirtier.

I love that we got the Excalibur box set but in a way it was odd, that if we could only get one "big" character why it wasn't Captain Britain, the Juggernaut was a well done figure but he wasn't on anyone's Excalibur wish list and he would have been a welcome addition to any tru wave or any wave really.

Ghost Rider's garage is pretty bloody empty, I know that. verymad.gif

To be fair, Daredevil did get his own wave fairly recently (Shadowland). That being said, we do have a severe shortage of DD villains, and I would be happy to see DST remedy this in the future.

That may have been based on a Daredevil storyline, but that's not what any of us are thinking of when we say we want a Daredevil wave. I see your point, but it doesn't really feel like a Daredevil wave.

"Shadowland" didn't even feel like a Daredevil story as much as a Hell's Kitchen story with all the character cameos. Hell's Kitchen is pretty well represented but I'd like to see more of old horn-head's foes.

Here’s my thought process:

First we have to divide the characters into buckets. If we are talking the franchises we have:

Thunderbolts should get a bucket. thumbsup.gif

Weirdly, in my mind I group them in with the Avengers since they started off as The Masters of Evil in disguise.

Although I am disgruntled with the amount of Daredevil and Thor supporting characters/villains we have ( I don't count movie versions, though I would be tempted to if that Destroyer wasn't so "dainty"), as well as Sub-Mariner friends and foes... there is one character whose title, supporting cast, villains and entire corner of mythos is incredibly under-represented.

Doctor Strange.

We have two versions of the title character and one version of his main arch-enemy, Dormammu.

What about Wong, Clea, the Ancient One, Baron Mordo, Umar, the Mindless Ones and Eternity* at the very least?

A couple of different versions of him would be a nice addition as well: 1st appearance version w/blue cape instead of Cloak of Levitation, translucent "astral body" version and his blue costumed, full-face-masked version.

Magic (and thus the biggest "magic" super hero of the Marvel Universe) is severely lacking in representation.

*It could be argued that the inclusion of Eternity leads to more cosmic characters, of which we have a few... however, Eternity first appeared in a Doctor Strange comic book (Strange Tales #134 referenced, #138 seen). Thus, I'll always consider him "Doc Strange supporting cast" first with "Cosmic Character" a very close second.

Edited by Mystery Man