UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What corner of the 616 Marvel Universe has been most neglected?

youbastards

Although I am disgruntled with the amount of Daredevil and Thor supporting characters/villains we have ( I don't count movie versions, though I would be tempted to if that Destroyer wasn't so "dainty"), as well as Sub-Mariner friends and foes... there is one character whose title, supporting cast, villains and entire corner of mythos is incredibly under-represented.

Doctor Strange.

We have two versions of the title character and one version of his main arch-enemy, Dormammu.

What about Wong, Clea, the Ancient One, Baron Mordo, Umar, the Mindless Ones and Eternity* at the very least?

A couple of different versions of him would be a nice addition as well: 1st appearance version w/blue cape instead of Cloak of Levitation, translucent "astral body" version and his blue costumed, full-face-masked version.

Magic (and thus the biggest "magic" super hero of the Marvel Universe) is severely lacking in representation.

*It could be argued that the inclusion of Eternity leads to more cosmic characters, of which we have a few... however, Eternity first appeared in a Doctor Strange comic book (Strange Tales #134 referenced, #138 seen). Thus, I'll always consider him "Doc Strange supporting cast" first with "Cosmic Character" a very close second.

I've always wanted a Baron Mordo Minimate.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to properly answer this question, we need to clearly define what "corner" means, so that we are all on the same page. I would say that a corner of the MU (or DCU) has to be one that has sustained a regular series for a considerable length of time, and that has a set of characters (villains and supporting) closely identified with the title. By this criteria, series like Dr. Strange, New Warriors, and Thunderbolts fall short on former status, and the Punisher and Deadpool on the latter. So I think you can safely identify the corners of the Marvel Universe as:

-Spider-Man

-The Hulk

-Iron Man

-Thor

-Captain America

-Daredevil

-Wolverine

-The Avengers

-The X-Men

I think it's safe to say that the two big teams aren't the answer. Yes, there are a lot of characters still missing from those corners... but that's not the question, is it? We're looking for neglect, and both teams have had several waves and box sets devoted to them. Ditto Spider-Man. I mean... come on. He's the only character that's gotten supporting characters made, for crying out loud. We may not be happy with every version of Spidey's friends and foes, but again, that's not the question.

So, looking at the others, there's obviously a lot of overlap between the Avengers and their members; ditto Wolverine and the X-Men. I'm not sure that you can really separate Wolverine characters from X-Men characters (which does kind of contradict my rules), but I think there's enough separation. Anyway, if we're counting movie waves, I'm just going to go ahead and say Wolverine's not the answer.

For a long time, I would have said Cap's the answer, but all of a sudden we're getting a lot of Cap love. Thor's an interesting case, because we've actually filled out his supporting cast pretty well (yes, I know, we don't have the Warriors Three), but the lack of Thor villains we've gotten is appalling. It's basically Loki, Absorbing Man, and movie Destroyer.

Iron Man is another interesting case; we've gotten a TON of Iron Men, but not a lot villains or supporting cast members. Basically, the entirety of Iron Man's first 100 issues have been ignored (save for the Mandarin and the Guardsman), but that's not really unusual, as Marvel pretty much ignores everything from before Demon in a Bottle. So you can't say it's Iron Man, but there's plenty more room to explore.

So that leaves us with the Hulk and Daredevil. Before the recent box set, Hulk might have been the choice; but that, combined with the movie wave (which provides perfectly acceptable Betty and Thunderbolt Rosses) puts him ahead of Daredevil. We've gotten, by my count, six DD characters: Elektra, Bullseye, Stilt-Man (first appeared in DD#8), Kingpin (who is just as much a Spidey guy), the Hand Ninja army builder, and DD himself. Basically, DST has ignored every Daredevil era outside of Frank Miller's work, with the exception of Stilt-Man, whom they seemed to think was an Iron Man villain. Daredevil, clearly, is the most neglected corner of the Marvel Universe. You may now lock the thread.smile.png

In order to properly answer this question, we need to clearly define what "corner" means, so that we are all on the same page. I would say that a corner of the MU (or DCU) has to be one that has sustained a regular series for a considerable length of time, and that has a set of characters (villains and supporting) closely identified with the title. By this criteria, series like Dr. Strange, New Warriors, and Thunderbolts fall short on former status, and the Punisher and Deadpool on the latter. So I think you can safely identify the corners of the Marvel Universe as:

-Spider-Man

-The Hulk

-Iron Man

-Thor

-Captain America

-Daredevil

-Wolverine

-The Avengers

-The X-Men

I think it's safe to say that the two big teams aren't the answer. Yes, there are a lot of characters still missing from those corners... but that's not the question, is it? We're looking for neglect, and both teams have had several waves and box sets devoted to them. Ditto Spider-Man. I mean... come on. He's the only character that's gotten supporting characters made, for crying out loud. We may not be happy with every version of Spidey's friends and foes, but again, that's not the question.

So, looking at the others, there's obviously a lot of overlap between the Avengers and their members; ditto Wolverine and the X-Men. I'm not sure that you can really separate Wolverine characters from X-Men characters (which does kind of contradict my rules), but I think there's enough separation. Anyway, if we're counting movie waves, I'm just going to go ahead and say Wolverine's not the answer.

For a long time, I would have said Cap's the answer, but all of a sudden we're getting a lot of Cap love. Thor's an interesting case, because we've actually filled out his supporting cast pretty well (yes, I know, we don't have the Warriors Three), but the lack of Thor villains we've gotten is appalling. It's basically Loki, Absorbing Man, and movie Destroyer.

Iron Man is another interesting case; we've gotten a TON of Iron Men, but not a lot villains or supporting cast members. Basically, the entirety of Iron Man's first 100 issues have been ignored (save for the Mandarin and the Guardsman), but that's not really unusual, as Marvel pretty much ignores everything from before Demon in a Bottle. So you can't say it's Iron Man, but there's plenty more room to explore.

So that leaves us with the Hulk and Daredevil. Before the recent box set, Hulk might have been the choice; but that, combined with the movie wave (which provides perfectly acceptable Betty and Thunderbolt Rosses) puts him ahead of Daredevil. We've gotten, by my count, six DD characters: Elektra, Bullseye, Stilt-Man (first appeared in DD#8), Kingpin (who is just as much a Spidey guy), the Hand Ninja army builder, and DD himself. Basically, DST has ignored every Daredevil era outside of Frank Miller's work, with the exception of Stilt-Man, whom they seemed to think was an Iron Man villain. Daredevil, clearly, is the most neglected corner of the Marvel Universe. You may now lock the thread.:)

. Hey where is the Fantastic Four in your list

Hey where is the Fantastic Four in your list

The FF have been getting a lot of love lately. We have a sizable number of FF characters. In addition to the FF themselves, we have Dr. Doom, Puppet Master, Blaastar, Annihilus, Terrax, Mole Man, Moloids, Alicia Masters, Molecule Man, Sandman, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the FF, and I would welcome more characters, but the FF are not nearly as neglected as, say, Daredevil (IMO).

Edited by MinnesotaIceman

I think he's saying that HP didn't list them as a corner of MU, not that they're neglected. Guys please don't quote super long stuff when you the post after, it is annoying scrolling through something again and again.

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost rider has had less mates and supporting/villain mates than daredevil. Hes had steady comics in shops for almost as long as daredevil, almost had his own cartoon in the 90's (pre production work is googable) and his own toyline that I believe was 2 waves long. So Daredevil can eat it until we get at the very least a Blackheart, and at the most, the Darkhold Redeemers.

Punisher also has more villain variety than jigsaw, Bushwacker and barracuda are just as big for him and hare not secluded to one time appearances. So instead of saying daredevil lets say the marvel knights corner, then we can finally get that max version of Foolkiller everyone's always wanted.

I do agree that Thor's in serious need of someone to bash with a hammer, and hulk as well. We need more villains. Zzzax appeared on Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes cartoon and the Ultimate Spider Man toon so hes actually had some good exposure, plus AEMH was actually great at flaunting lesser known villains and making them bad ass. The U foes and Chemistro for example. So yeah villains might be a broad statement but that should also be the answer.

• 4 months later...

Saw this old thread and immediately thought of Dr Strange. Although not an A-list character he has been around for years and is not represented at all. There has been not even one classic Dr Strange villain released unless you count Dormammu from MvC, which I don't (don't recognize the look). Would love to see Dormammu in his classic look and Nightmare, along with Baron Mordo (who may not be as visually appealing as the other two). If you want to count Eternity as Dr Strange I'd count him as well.

A year ago I may have said Cap but I think it's safe to say with wave 54 and 18 he's covered. With the dozens of Hulks we've gotten we have almost no villains for him to fight.. no Doc Samson, and new Abomination and Leader are sorely needed. Awesome we got Maestro, though. I'd also count DD - would like Owl, Gladiator, 80's Typhoid Mary and a new Bullseye due to how hard he is to find.

Edited by rikfenix

Saw this old thread and immediately thought of Dr Strange. Although not an A-list character he has been around for years and is not represented at all. There has been not even one classic Dr Strange villain released unless you count Dormammu from MvC, which I don't (don't recognize the look). Would love to see Dormammu in his classic look and Nightmare, along with Baron Mordo (who may not be as visually appealing as the other two). If you want to count Eternity as Dr Strange I'd count him as well.

A year ago I may have said Cap but I think it's safe to say with wave 54 and 18 he's covered. With the dozens of Hulks we've gotten we have almost no villains for him to fight.. no Doc Samson, and new Abomination and Leader are sorely needed. Awesome we got Maestro, though. I'd also count DD - would like Owl, Gladiator, 80's Typhoid Mary and a new Bullseye due to how hard he is to find.

I agree with all of this. I'd also like to add The Inhumans to this conversation.

Surprised we've never seen more Inhumans.. a case can be made for Crystal as one of the more prominent characters never to get one.

I would like all the DD characters but am lukewarm on all civilians, even Foggy, Ben Urich and Karen Page (even if it was a junkie version).

All joking aside, although I would in no way say Spider-Man's corner of the universe has been neglected there is still a sick number of characters and variants I'd like to see. (2099, Scarlet Spider, Prowler, etc)

I actually love getting marvel civies, though there are a ton of costumed heroes id rather get first, Ben Urich would be a freaking awesome addition to my collection...to be honest, i'd love all the Bugle staff

Even if he came with Thor, I consider Absorbing Man a Hulk villain. I assume Robo-Hulk is a Hulk villain too.

Even if he came with Thor, I consider Absorbing Man a Hulk villain. I assume Robo-Hulk is a Hulk villain too.

Really? I'd always considered Absorbing Man a Thor villain. The great majority of stories I've read of him he's fought Thor. Yes you're right.. Robo-Hulk/Gremlin does count, sweet set too. Like the alternate look a lot with the classic Gremlin decal. Still pretty sparse though! Where's ZZzax and the U-Foes? Those would be awesome.

I'd say the Speedball corner is a little neglected.

Would like a Speedball, and all of the classic New Warriors. Agree with Clean..iIf one were to ask what era is most neglected you can make a good case for 90's. New Warriors, Deathlok, Sleepwalker, Death's Head II, Darkhawk, Peter David X-Factor, Stryfe just some of the ones off the top of my head.

Edited by rikfenix

No love for Power Pack? (Zero-G, Lightspeed, Mass Master, Energizer) Heck, I don't think the kids have even gotten a figure in any toy line in the entire time they've been in the Marvel Universe.

And given almost all the other 90s X-related teams have been given most if not all their team members, why nothing for 90s X-Factor?