UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What corner of the 616 Marvel Universe has been most neglected?

youbastards

My biggest desire for new Minimates comes from Thor's supporting cast, as I feel that has been the most overlooked corner of the 616 Marvel Universe. Sure, we've gotten some notable supporting characters (Sif, Balder, Odin, Hercules, Loki, Kronan, Beta Ray Bill) but when you compare what we've gotten to what is still missing in 'mate form, (Fandrall, Hogun, Volstagg, Heimdall, Enchantress, Executioner, Wrecker/Wrecking Crew, Surtur, Ulik, Hela), I think it's pretty obvious that Thor is the most deserving of a new dedicated wave of 'mates.

What do you think is the most overlooked corner of the 616 Marvel Universe? I'm looking for Marvel's 'tent-pole' characters, Hulk, Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. Characters where DST would realistically release a themed LCS wave.

Edited by youbastards

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Thor should even be in the discussion. Yeah there's some missing pieces from his supporting cast, but the same could be said for X-Men, Spider-Man, etc and I don't think anyone would say they're neglected.

Without a doubt New Warriors. The Nova we got is from later on, but the Wave 50 one can work. Other than that I don't think there's any representation.

Atlas era Monsters

Golden Age. We got that Invaders set, but that was a seventies comic that just happened to take place in the golden age. I'd love some of those forgotten characters like Angel, Blazing Skull, Fin, need to cut myself off before I start wish listing.....

Edited by bigvis497

The adolescent heroes. We've got the new cast of Young Avengers and then perhaps the Runaways, too.

Spider-Man. We don't even have a proper sinister six yet (Vulture had flaws, Ock's tantacles were mediocre, chameleon needs an update, same for Sandman since the movie version can't blend with the comic figures, etc). Or any symbiotes apart from venom. Or the ringmaster. Or any of his supporting cast apart from JJ, May and DeWolfe (i guess tasm gwen is fine). Or molten man, doppelganger, the trapster, the spider slayer and many other villains.

After that the Hulk and Thor. Hulk has barely any characters from his "lore" made and Thor has had only a handful.

But as far as a whole corner goes i'd say the cosmic stuff haven't been explored one bit.

Another good topic. I must admit as a thor fan I may be biased, but of the tent-pole characters I totally agree that he is most under-represented, especially in recent times. He appears to be the only upcoming movie star without any love (wolverine gets another tta set plus a figure in most waves it seems and cap gets wave 54) unless you count his Now! figure in wave 18 which I don't really as it's his classic supporting cast and villains that I think are lacking and I want. I mentioned in another thread some time back that I think he's had less villains released than the other A-listers.

With my non-thor hat on for a second I would also say that hulk is lacking too as I don't think he's ever had a comic based wave to himself. At the very least I'd have thought he justifies a friends and foes set with doc Samson, bulked up abomination and another villain. And outside the tent-pole characters I would say cosmic hasn't had enough attention, notably the guardians of the galaxy. I suspect they will get something next year but I hope it's not only movie stuff if so - in fact I would most like to see the original comic team personally.

Spider-Man. We don't even have a proper sinister six yet (Vulture had flaws, Ock's tantacles were mediocre, chameleon needs an update, same for Sandman since the movie version can't blend with the comic figures, etc). Or any symbiotes apart from venom. Or the ringmaster. Or any of his supporting cast apart from JJ, May and DeWolfe (i guess tasm gwen is fine). Or molten man, doppelganger, the trapster, the spider slayer and many other villains.

After that the Hulk and Thor. Hulk has barely any characters from his "lore" made and Thor has had only a handful.

But as far as a whole corner goes i'd say the cosmic stuff haven't been explored one bit.

Huh? We have a near complete Heralds of Galactus. And no way is Spider-Man neglected.

Spider-Man is one of the most completed main character rosters we have, and while I agree that a lot of the characters could use refinement, at least they have a 'mate. Also Kostis, we have 616 versions of Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, Flash Thompson (Venom) and Carnage.

Guardians of the Galaxy would make a nice pair of boxsets like Alpha Flight. Maybe make one classic and one modern and start supplementing missing characters in TRU waves.

Stegron01, Hulk would definitely be my second choice and you are correct, the only dedicated wave we got was the movie wave.

Thanks YB, I thought so re the hulk. And yes that 2 boxset approach to the guardians would work well - let's hope sales on alpha flight don't prevent those sorts of release in the future. Maybe it would work better on a "current" movie themed group like that than on alpha flight which kind of came out of nowhere.

And yeah Kostis, while I agree that there are still spidey characters I'd like to see I really don't think he can be considered neglected! ermm.gif

How many waves did we have to wait to even get our first Thor? Like 16 right?

Right on the money, YB. Thor! Followed closely by Hulk. Maybe 3rd place is Daredevil? Hard to say since so much of his supporting cast overlaps with SpiderMan.

Ghost Rider has been very neglected in terms of his supporting cast. But, I really can't fault them there, there's not much I'd care to have from his supporting cast. And I'd call him B-List anyway, GR's not a "tent-pole" character.

bigvis, are you really suggesting that the New Warriors could be considered a Marvel "tentpole?" I appreciate that you like the team. Hell, I'm a huge Defenders and Squadron Supreme fan, but c'mon now.

The way you phrase the question kind of leaves you with very limited options YB. But it really does depend on who you include in that "tentpole" categorization, which while I am certain of some who fit and don't, there's a lot of gray. If not for the films, Thor would be a borderline "B" character IMO, on the order of a Daredevil. And if you want a character equally neglected to Thor, I say he fits the bill. We've got a couple of Kingpins, a couple of Bullseyes, a couple of Elektras, but what else (do you include Stilt-Man? laugh.png )? I'm not a huge Daredevil guy, so I wouldn't even know who might warrant inclusion in such a wave, but DST clearly hasn't focused attention on him.

Another one would be Punisher. The only Jigsaw we got was a movie version. Really, he didn't get any distinctive villains as figures that weren't heavily shared with others (Kingpin).

But what are the other available options here? Spidey, X-Men, Avengers (team), Cap, Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man only? I agree that all those guys probably received sufficient attention (though Hulk's rogue's gallery could use some updating), even if they have broad, popular universes of characters that any given collector could argue deserves more attention (I want more 70s-80s X-Men stuff myself).

Edited by karamazov80

Huh? We have a near complete Heralds of Galactus. And no way is Spider-Man neglected.

Apart from that? We have: 6 heralds, Galactus, Nova, BRB, Black Bolt, Lockjaw, Captain Marvel, Thanos, Drax, Mephisto(?), Warlock and then the army builders: Kree, Skrulls, Kree Sentry and that's pretty much it (there might be a few that i have missed). We still don't have a completed inhumans team, the Shi'ar, Gladiator, GotG, the cosmic beings, etc. We got some figures but not enough. Though they are pretty obscure.

Spider-Man is one of the most completed main character rosters we have, and while I agree that a lot of the characters could use refinement, at least they have a 'mate. Also Kostis, we have 616 versions of Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, Flash Thompson (Venom) and Carnage.

Guardians of the Galaxy would make a nice pair of boxsets like Alpha Flight. Maybe make one classic and one modern and start supplementing missing characters in TRU waves.

Stegron01, Hulk would definitely be my second choice and you are correct, the only dedicated wave we got was the movie wave.

We have but 616 mj is ugly, gwen is too plain and flash venom doesn't really count as flash. He counts as venom in my book. We still need some spidey civilians and many more of his villains. Do we have hammerhead? Urich Hobgoblin, Harry Osborn, Robbie, Beetle, Boomerang, etc. Sure, comparared to the Hulk Spidey has had a lot of his cast made but when you look at it individually we still have way to go.

Daredevil and Thor could both be considered Marvel's b-list, but they both have had dedicated titles published (for the most part) since the 1960's, so I think they definitely fall in the tent-pole category. Punisher I would lump with Spider-Man, but I agree that a comic version of Jigsaw is a big oversight. He's really the only "main" recurring villain the Punisher has ever had, which also says a lot about Punisher as a character. I guess you could count Ma Gnucci in there, as she appeared is 2 major story arcs.

Kostis, the question was "who's most neglected", not "who still has a ways to go"

YB, I think the movie Jigsaw works as a comic version pretty well. But if they wanted to give us a different comic version with that neck brace collar, wearing The Punisher's outfit, and pack him with FrankenCastle, I wouldn't complain :)

That would be a good 2-pack!

I would probably put The Avengers in third place, just due to the amount of roster changes that have occurred over the years (still need Hellcat, Mockingbird, Tigra), and the missing villain representation: Korvac, Count Nefaria, Graviton, Whizzer/Speed Demon, Super Adaptoid, Whirlwind, Titania, Wrecking Crew.

If Grim Reaper, Kang, and both Zemos hadn't been made yet, then I probably would have put Avengers in second place.

Ah, remember when Kang was the big want? :)

Karamazov -

YB originally phrased his question different, I interpreted it as "which corner of the Marvel Universe" not "which corner of which tentpole character's universe." He did go back and clarify his post.

When I think of what qualifies a "corner" of the MU, there's a few categories I look into. Editorial groupings. 1990's trading cards and how they were grouped together by "corner." Spin-offs and events that are exclusive to that corner. In the 1990's New warriors met all those criteria. It had a 70+ issue run. It had spin-off solo titles like Darkhawk, Nova and Night Thrasher. Justice had his own mini-series. When they appeared in other books, it was always pimped as "guest-starring the NW!" Nowhere did I say they are A-list, I just belive that they do have their own little corner of the MU. And saying they're just supporting cast members is really stretching things. That would be like saying Daredevil is nothing more than a Spider-Man supporting character.

And Kostis, you're saying Cosmic has been neglected then you named almost 20 characters.....

Kostis, the question was "who's most neglected", not "who still has a ways to go"

YB, I think the movie Jigsaw works as a comic version pretty well. But if they wanted to give us a different comic version with that neck brace collar, wearing The Punisher's outfit, and pack him with FrankenCastle, I wouldn't complain smile.png

Yeah, Spidey is missing some things but it is in no way negleted.

Karamazov -

YB originally phrased his question different, I interpreted it as "which corner of the Marvel Universe" not "which corner of which tentpole character's universe." He did go back and clarify his post.

When I think of what qualifies a "corner" of the MU, there's a few categories I look into. Editorial groupings. 1990's trading cards and how they were grouped together by "corner." Spin-offs and events that are exclusive to that corner. In the 1990's New warriors met all those criteria. It had a 70+ issue run. It had spin-off solo titles like Darkhawk, Nova and Night Thrasher. Justice had his own mini-series. When they appeared in other books, it was always pimped as "guest-starring the NW!" Nowhere did I say they are A-list, I just belive that they do have their own little corner of the MU. And saying they're just supporting cast members is really stretching things. That would be like saying Daredevil is nothing more than a Spider-Man supporting character.

And Kostis, you're saying Cosmic has been neglected then you named almost 20 characters.....

And is that a lot? We have how many Avengers and we still put them in the negleted category. One fo these characters was a dog and the three of them were army builders. Do we have moondragon? Ronan the accuser? Captain Universe? The cosmic beings? Gladiator? Smasher? GotG? Ultimate Captain Marvel? Carol Captain Marvel? The Inhumans? Just like the Avengers and the X-men are not completed so is the cosmic side of the mu. Same goes for the "horror" corner as well.

Yeah, it is a lot. Especially since cosmic has never really been a top tier for Marvel. There's a difference between neglected and characters that just haven't been made yet from your wish list. I would argue that Minimates have better represented the cosmic side of things better than any line in history.

Karamazov -

How about I just lump the New Warriors as Thor supporting characters, since that's where they debuted? It's a win-win!