UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

karamazov80

It looks so... bland?

More Jesus imagery, more Kents being douches, more Poochie-man.

Also, Dick Grayson is dead from the start.

What a waste.

I'm sorry but are you kidding me? Pick up a comic man its suppose to be Jason Todd's Robin outfit. This is the older Batman version where he has already cycled through different Robins. He might be on the Carrie Kelly version actually if Jenna Malone is rumored to be her still. And Kents being douches? Um she's telling the truth with Superman not owing the world anything. He protected them from Zod teraforming the Earth to Krypton. And the jesus thing? You mean the god thing. I'm not religious and don't care much for it all but it has always been that way there some people see Superman as a God.

There's a tombstone in the trailer that says Richard Grayson.

And the outfit is more Tim Drake inspired, thank you.

And the Jesus allegory was there since Man of Steel, in such unsubtle ways. And the Kents were horrible people. Don't save that bus full of kids, don't try to save me from a tornado you could withstand, lets hide under this overpass.

Did they survive under that overpass? Johnathan Kent didn't want Clark to save him from the tornado because he didn't want the people there to see Clark use his powers. He was unsure if the people were ready to see someone like that. And honestly with him not liking Clark saving that bus of kids, I will say that look he didn't want them to catch on so fast. But I do think he just didn't want to deal with people is all. And so what is there were jesus allegory stuff and it was unsubtle. You don't like it then don't watch any of it. No need to ruin other people's days by coming on here and nit picking the movie man. My little cousin comes on here and was sad reading your comment on this man. I was told this WAS a family friendly website.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks so... bland?

More Jesus imagery, more Kents being douches, more Poochie-man.

Also, Dick Grayson is dead from the start.

What a waste.

I'm sorry but are you kidding me? Pick up a comic man its suppose to be Jason Todd's Robin outfit. This is the older Batman version where he has already cycled through different Robins. He might be on the Carrie Kelly version actually if Jenna Malone is rumored to be her still. And Kents being douches? Um she's telling the truth with Superman not owing the world anything. He protected them from Zod teraforming the Earth to Krypton. And the jesus thing? You mean the god thing. I'm not religious and don't care much for it all but it has always been that way there some people see Superman as a God.

There's a tombstone in the trailer that says Richard Grayson.

And the outfit is more Tim Drake inspired, thank you.

And the Jesus allegory was there since Man of Steel, in such unsubtle ways. And the Kents were horrible people. Don't save that bus full of kids, don't try to save me from a tornado you could withstand, lets hide under this overpass.

Did they survive under that overpass? Johnathan Kent didn't want Clark to save him from the tornado because he didn't want the people there to see Clark use his powers. He was unsure if the people were ready to see someone like that. And honestly with him not liking Clark saving that bus of kids, I will say that look he didn't want them to catch on so fast. But I do think he just didn't want to deal with people is all. And so what is there were jesus allegory stuff and it was unsubtle. You don't like it then don't watch any of it. No need to ruin other people's days by coming on here and nit picking the movie man. My little cousin comes on here and was sad reading your comment on this man. I was told this WAS a family friendly website.

You are not supposed to go into an overpass during a tornado. Its common sense. you are safer hiding in a ditch lol.

And its a forum for discussion. Various opinions exist. Sorry? I didn't curse or say anything offensive, save for my comment about the Kents.

And I suggest googling it, its easier to see it with the screen caps.

Well I'm going to nitpick the movie then. Let's start with Batman literally killing someone by snapping their neck. I mean it's possible that Batman just permanently "disables" him but it looks pretty brutal. Also the guy on the right kinda dancing around and doing nothing is hilarious. Actually at the very end he seems to be turning around to run.

UF3ONLF.gif

Here's some pretty ham-fisted images Snyder throws in your face as if to ask "Haha guys, get it? Do you get it??"

56k warning:

The third pic is odd to me because it contains some...parody I guess of anti-gay propaganda that is extremely offensive and I'm not sure was a good choice. Synder just isn't clever and this kinda ruins it for me, he's lazy and there's just weird imagery and things going on for a Batman/Superman movie.

I agree it is a family friendly forum but it's pretty much adult collectors here and sometimes f-bombs get dropped by mistake and other things like innuendo or whatever but it's probably nothing you wouldn't hear in a pg-13 movie, which is being discussed here.

I loved the trailer, have a lot of thoughts, probably will post a full list of them but for now what I will say is:

This looks like Kingdom Come's visual style and grandiose story telling mixed with The Dark Knight Returns grim look at modern society and sensibilities

and for a movie that has a fully-realized version of Superman meet a fully-realized version of Batman I don't know that you could pick two better stories to use as influence

4 quick notes:

1. I really wanna know whats going on with the "Super-Soldier", maybe they're aliens? Maybe that's not Batman? I will be very disappointed if Batman kills, Superman has never made that vow, Batman has. There is definitely more to this sequence then we could possibly know right now but maybe they're androids?

2. Not seeing any tombstones with Graysons name on them can you show a screencap?

3. Protesting Superman makes sense in the context of the movie, to the public's knowledge he may have been responsible for a mass amount of destruction and based on our societies tolerance of people who are different this seems like a logical move. Also not sure how parodying anti-gay propaganda is offensive, as anti-gay propaganda is already offensive, so parodying it is very welcome in my book.

4. Also I think while Superman is definitely a more idealized character than most, its important to note he is one of the only Immigrant superheroes and the message of "you dont owe this place anything" is a very important one, the idea that anyone look for a home when in need, must then owe that home for taking them in, when they had no choice in the matter, is a fairly twisted one and why we have such a stigma against Immigrants in this country (the US), so for his mom to tell him 'you can be their savior, or you can just live your life' is almost more important a message then him being told he must serve as this messianic figure for humanity

Edited by undeadpool

Also not sure how parodying anti-gay propaganda is offensive, as anti-gay propaganda is already offensive, so parodying it is very welcome in my book.

Really? Not sure at all? Because it could be done without directly copying the same posters that advocate for the killing of gay people and the severe discrimination that goes along with it. Posters that say "kill all f***" and "god hates f***" maybe shouldn't be copied. Maybe they could have thought of something less hateful and vile.

Hey, Politician...

Superman = good, right?

People with anti-Superman propaganda signs = bad and shortsighted, right?

Do you see how MAYBE the idea was to use this as an allegory, where the people with the hateful vile signs in the movie - who everyone KNOWS are in the wrong - represent the people with the hateful vile signs in the real world?

I'd understand if they were anti-Luthor signs. Luthor is the bad guy, so you'd be on the same side as the sign holders. But this is the equivalent of the X-Men fighting the Friends of Humanity. The FoH were used to parallel real life hate groups while making the target of their hate fictional characters who readers were routing for. Kind of like this,no?

Hating a fictional alien is in no way similar to real life hate groups that in real life, advocate for the death of certain people. It's lazy and in bad taste. I don't remember the FoH literally wearing white hoods and burning flags, they were more subtle than directly copying something that was singularly used as a symbol of hate and discrimination.

I don't think Snyder's trying to make some greater political statement, or even thinks very carefully about the undertones and implications for what he's doing. Maybe that's a bad thing, but I don't blame the guy for being what he is--a pretty literal thinker who likes to make "awesome" stuff happen in movies.

While I agree with Karamazov's thoughts on Snyder, I don't think its wrong to use allegories for real hate-movements to drive home the point that a characters views are oppressive and wrong.

Hydra uses Nazi propaganda all the time

X-men comics have had VERY direct references, sometimes even mentioning actual hate-groups by name as instigators of violence against them

While I can understand that the same hateful messages thrown at gay people cannot be compared to the flack Superman, a straight, white and empowered man would receive, I honestly think the above imagery makes cultural sense given the story.

I do think comic books and comic book movies are meant to mirror our reality and having the characters go through the same persecution that their readers do, possibly on a daily basis, is important to help give those people a character to relate too and to show the world how messed up our world really is

What sense does it make to have these types of signs in the movie? They could have easily done a different design that didn't directly remind anyone of children holding KILL ALL F*** signs. There is no way this is acceptable, people who actually have an understanding of what this vile hatred really is, probably don't need to relive it through their christ-man analog fictional all powerful superhero that literally experiences no real emotional or physical damage from normal people.

It's not parody, it's not art, it's not some deeper meaning, it's literally lazy as shit directing and shock value from a director who feels the need to make everything so blatantly obvious that it's a slap in the face. There's no meaning behind this, he just has people holding up signs that he has no idea what disgusting things it means to people that are hurt by it so his fictional superhero can look sad for a scene.

I think you raise valid points Politician, and I do think there is truth to what you say, Snyder definitely isnt the director to make the best case for when it comes to symbolism or political allegory, but I also feel the Christ imagery is to show how this world is seeing Superman, not how we as the viewer should, its showing us the two ways he is being interpreted in this universe, both are extreme.

Either way I think its better to wait till the movie actually releases before we judge how certain content is truly handled in the context of the plot.

Movie still looks meh to me, I would think they'd have to make it 3+ hours to do everything justice. It's kind of funny Superman will be a supporting character is his own sequel, the trailer definitely suggests this is Bruce Wayne's story.

Edited by Zylek

Movie still looks meh to me, I would think they'd have to make it 3+ hours to do everything justice. It's kind of funny Superman will be a supporting character is his own sequel, the trailer definitely suggests this is Bruce Wayne's story.

This isn't Man of Steel 2. This is basically a Justice League prequel/set-up. With that being said, I agree that it looks a little stuffed (and that worries me).

I didn't love MoS, but I feel that most of my issues with it stemmed from the writing. Hopefully Terrio can do better than Goyer (I think he can). I'm also not convinced that Jesse is the right pick for Lex and I'm also concerned about Gal Gadot's acting ability. Hoping for the best.

• 9 months later...

If you want great DC TPBs, you have to start right here:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Teen-Titans-Vol/dp/1401251439/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461073929&sr=8-1&keywords=new+teen+titans

Then Crisis on Infinite Earths, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Year Two, Death in the Family, Long Halloween (scores of other Batman stories are worth reading), the early JLI stuff, the O'Neal and Adams Batman stuff, Byrne's Man of Steel mini series. I also personally liked Legends quite a bit, and the Alan Davis run on Batman and the Outsiders, though I'm not sure if they have TPBs or not.

Skip most of the golden and silver age stuff for now unless you can appreciate it simply for the artwork, or fact that it's hokey, fun golden and silver age stuff. One exception may be Gil Kane's Green Lantern, since his art is so beautiful that it transcends the hokey storytelling.

If you want good comics through most of the '60s, look to Marvel.

A fun pseudo DC read that I come back to every couple of years is JLA/Avengers, but it requires a pretty good understanding of both companies to fully appreciate IMO. X-Men/Teen Titans is another really good one shot.

Edited by karamazov80