UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

karamazov80

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joss Whedon has some good ideas/sensibilities. . .and some not so good IMO. He seems to appreciate and enjoy cheese for example, which Affleck can produce in spades. A regular dairy farmer, he is.

Edited by karamazov80

Ben Affleck has made some shit films. No Question. But he's a solid enough actor & i think he's going to do a decent job as Batman.

A decade or two ago, people were seriously questioning Tim Burton's choice to cast Michael Keaton in the role.... to date, Batman Returns is my favourite Batman film, and probably one of my top 10 flims of all time.

I'm very much looking forward to a non-Bale Batman. I'll reserve judgement till I see what Ben has to offer.

Keaton working as Bats is one of the very few weird casting choices that I've really seen work (I didn't think Ledger or RDJ were all that odd personally). But there was a pretty big difference between these two cases in my mind. Admittedly, I don't really know anything about what happened behind the scenes in either case, so this is all supposition, but. . .it seems that Keaton was given the role after auditioning for it, and proving he could play that role. Affleck was a guy WB was already courting hard as a director. My impression is they had a hard on for this guy, and wanted him involved in some capacity no matter what, even if he's not necessarily right for the role. And considering what happened with Man of Steel (ultimately an incredibly disappointing film for me), I'm not sure that I have a lot of faith in their artistic/creative decisions right now.

Having said all that, like I said, I think he'll be a'aight, but I don't see him really blowing people's minds as Batman. I reckon he's going to pale pretty noticeably next to Christian Bale's pitch-perfect Wayne/Bats.

Edited by karamazov80

Cranston as Luthor is such a dumb rumor.

Yeah it’s fun to think of Heisenberg threatening Superman, but will Cranston choice to play Luthor exactly like Heisenberg? A character he’s been for 6 years now and would, as a working actor, probably not like to typecast as for the remainder of his career and try something new and fresh? (He didn’t play Walt like Hal, nor is Hal the Seinfeld Dentist... and a similar WB suits casting choice certainly didn’t give us the “Jack Sparrow as Willy Wonka” they hoped for)

but if he IS Luthor because he was in Argo with Affleck, I already know what Batman villain we can expect:
John Goodman as Oswald “the Penguin” Cobblepot.

you heard it here first!

Will he try to play it like White? Probably not. But will Snyder demand that he does? Probably so IMO. I think Snyder is a very conventional kind of thinker, who doesn't step very far out of the box. Frankly, the casting of Cranston reflects that mentality, because, well. . .he was a smart, evil, bald guy in Breaking Bad. I think it's a good casting choice, just extremely obvious, and I think the logical extension of that is expecting Cranston to ape Heisenberg here. I hope I'm wrong, and they make him more the evil politician and less the evil scientist/businessman.

Edited by karamazov80

I just want to see an evil Luthor on screen, someone with ambitions larger than "land schemes". Hackman's performance hasn't aged well (more likely a problem with the era they were filmed), and Spacey was more concerned about trying to keep his Luthor in check with Hackman that he didn't bother to really reinvent the character. Cranston, even if Snyder wants him to play it like Heisenberg, is at least an actor that will make the role his own and has the potential to balance a charismatic, political Luthor, with a terrifyingly evil Luthor.

I agree. There is definite potential there, just as there was with Man of Steel based on casting. Cranston is GREAT. I just fear it's going to get reigned in and mediocre-itized by Goyer and Snyder.

That image should be in the movie.

Seriously, some of the fanboy nerd-rage I'm seeing is exactly the kind of paranoia that Lex Luthor would be behind.

"This guy's an ALIEN and a KILLER! And now he's teaming up with a known VIGILANTE? Elect me President and I'll put these two animals down like the vicious dogs they are!"