UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 18

Zak Katz

Called one of my TRUs and was told the item number was discontinued, and they wouldn't be stocking anymore. So watch out, this may be a situation like wave 16, where not every store is getting them.

Just a guess, but maybe TRU realized what happened with the shared item number and is in the process of "fixing the glitch"? Could explain why we aren't hearing more reports of people finding them in stores?

Or, maybe 17 and 18 got purchased as a block and assigned an item number last year – going back to my theory of "refresh assortments." With as much toy volume in general as TRU deals with – and also observing the case pack out patterns of larger toy companies – i can't imagine the inventory folks messing about in the details of whether there are enough "new" versus "old" individual items on the shelf at any given time for a boutique brand like Minimates. The fact that they will to this day put out like half an aisle's worth of Iron Man 2 product tells me they regard toys as an interchangeable commodity and are going for volume, nothing more. I know we see Minimates as the most important item TRU ever has and ever will distribute, and the proper mix of new characters over the course of a year is a critical business decision, but to them, it's all "Marvel Minimates Assortment," and they go out on the shelf, yes, wherever the manager wants to fit them. We're talking about the Wal-mart of toys here, not a local comic shop where every item on the shelf is curated by the loving store owner.

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

force2099, I snagged them from the Bloomingdale store on Army Trail Rd, but grabbed all the Ultron Drones. confused.gif

Everyone else, I have not had the time or money to go back for others, otherwise I would have. confused.gif

One of those I can help with the other not so much.Let me know when you get time and I'll get you the money ;)

We're talking about the Wal-mart of toys here, not a local comic shop where every item on the shelf is curated by the loving store owner.

^THIS^

It's sad, but it's true.

I think we sometimes we let the name "Toys'r'Us" fool us into thinking this is a 'toy store' rather than a department store where every department happens to be toys.

force2099, I snagged them from the Bloomingdale store on Army Trail Rd, but grabbed all the Ultron Drones. confused.gif

Everyone else, I have not had the time or money to go back for others, otherwise I would have. confused.gif

Thanks.... I will check the other two by me tonight

We're talking about the Wal-mart of toys here, not a local comic shop where every item on the shelf is curated by the loving store owner.

^THIS^

It's sad, but it's true.

I think we sometimes we let the name "Toys'r'Us" fool us into thinking this is a 'toy store' rather than a department store where every department happens to be toys.

Yes and no. On the one hand, it's corporate that sets planograms that dictate where merch is supposed to be worked out, not anyone at a store level.

That being said, a good manager let's a passionate department head make logical decisions, like marketing the Super hero mates with the super heroes and the others in the "collector" aisle.

Trust me, when anyone even remotely likely to pick up Mnimates comes into my store asking for help, they get the nickel tour of every available line and offering DST has seen fit to mini-ize

Edited by Mnemosis

Just got Thor and Absorbing Man, solid set, alternate looks for both, and weapons :) with one hero and one villain, this would be the perfect first set of minimates for someone.

Just got Thor and Absorbing Man, solid set, alternate looks for both, and weapons smile.png with one hero and one villain, this would be the perfect first set of minimates for someone.

.....or last sleep.png

-gloomheadsmate

I have to agree why so down?

You have a very strong impression and voice to alot of ppl be them board members or just even casual browsers and fans. So just saying the "last" kinda can put the impression that this figures suck.

I think and this is just me that the "last" comment was aimed more at the way TRU and minimates are with the clearence and whatever is happening right now not that this set is so crap no one will buy another.

I havent got these in hand yet so really cant say much more.

Just got Thor and Absorbing Man, solid set, alternate looks for both, and weapons smile.png with one hero and one villain, this would be the perfect first set of minimates for someone.

.....or last sleep.png

-gloomheadsmate

I have to agree why so down?

You have a very strong impression and voice to alot of ppl be them board members or just even casual browsers and fans. So just saying the "last" kinda can put the impression that this figures suck.

I think and this is just me that the "last" comment was aimed more at the way TRU and minimates are with the clearence and whatever is happening right now not that this set is so crap no one will buy another.

I havent got these in hand yet so really cant say much more.

Anybody who bothers to read what I write must ...they really must..... know that I am absolutely stoked up about this wave even if it were only for my two most wanted grails - Winter Soldier & Falcon . 'Even if ....' would be way short of the mark .

I take it on the chin if my compatriot 'Fiend may have misconstrued what I meant or how it was read ......'Fiend's latter comments about my feelings for the current TRU situation is spot on .

...& as regards being 'cool' ? I am being cool.... I am being very cool .........

....down in my cellar feeling like a mushroom being fed bullshit .

BHM, I agree with a lot of what you say. I get that you feel TRU is on the verge of parting ways with minimates. I have to disagree with you if that's the case. I just don't think TRU is going to throw the baby out with the bath water at this point. I feel that what's going on now is just the colonic before the next meal.

But I don't think TRU is the best parent to said baby wink.png Not that I'm advocating a change of parents, just some parenting classes to know how to raise that baby better!

Edited by VulcansFury

We're all a bit in the dark, especially since TRU changes their mind. I'm not thrilled that TRU pulled the rug out from under DST's planned Thor 2 TRU wave. So even with what Zach knows, doesn't mean TRU won't change their plans. My view from the trenches is that the clearance sale is going very well, and TRU shouldn't have to eat a loss on minimates. Calico Jack and Battle Beasts sold well, yet TRU got out of those games while they were ahead. That would be my only concern now. If TRU takes a break from Marvel mates, I just don't think it would be for long. If wave 19 doesn't get picked up by TRU, I guess they could fold the figures back into the main line at some point, unlike a limited license like Thor 2. I just don't know what else they would fill the shelf space with, TRU has a lot of junk that just pegwarms, like those Iron Man light bracelets they couldn't give away last year. Zach's pretty much told us not to give up hope yet, so I'm just biding my time til Toy Fair.