UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2013-Discussion Thread

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox can license the Ripley character, but not Weaver's likeness. Hot Toys made a couple of Ripley figures a few years ago that looked nothing like Weaver.

Yes, Chuck has stated in the past that the lack of a nose is enough to get around any actor likenesses.

Edited by youbastards

No, she generally doesn't (much to NECA fans dismay). However Minimates being stylistic representations of characters, there's more leeway. This may be the only way Alien/s fans will ever get a complete official line and yet another reason why DST should really be pushing for a Predator license to capitalize on the popularity.

I'm kind of disappointed in the SDCC showcase. I was hoping to see new Walking Dead and Star Trek mates.

Maybe the Trek minimates aren't doing as well as they thought? It feels like a lack of confidence to not see anything at an event as big as SDCC. I hope this isn't as bad as it looks.

Rex!

Marvel- Everything shown at the panel was stuff we've already seen. I suspect the photos of the T-Bolts and Zombies sets were supposed to be scoops if they hadn't been spoiled by Previews last week.

New licenses- The Pulp Fiction control art looked pretty great -- they showed Jules and Vincent, Mia, Marcellus, Butch, and Quentin (forgot his character's name). I'm not 100% sure on the Sin City set, but I think they showed Marv, Hartigan, Yellow Bastard, Nancy, and a couple others. Both slides for these showed six characters, I'm not sure if these will be box sets or 2-packs.

View Askew- nothing but the two-pack was shown; Chuck said Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back alone "could keep them busy for a while." Dogma was again not mentioned, so maybe that's not on the drawing board?

Aliens- I didn't get a great look because I was in the back of the room, but the art for Vasquez looked like there was some kind of unique peg attachment piece that plugs into the back of the torso block to carry the railgun. It was specifically called out on the control art sheet, so it appears to be some new construction. The prototypes of the xenos look amazing. I'm sorry there aren't clear pics for you guys, but nobody will be disappointed by these! Think Battle Beasts level sculpting and detail. The prototype of Newt had weirdly gigantic hair... and now I'm kicking myself for not noticing if she uses a smaller body. :/

Bits and pieces from conversation and the q&a-

- I asked Zach about the "big license reveal" at the panel, and he said he wasn't sure it was ready to show; it sounded like they had to pull it at the last minute. So there may still be something else new we'll see at some point.

- when asked about the rarest Minimate, Chuck said definitely gold Spidey. He also said when they did the run of 50, Marvel got 25 of them. Not sure if that was already known here, or by the keeper of the list.

- Pathfinder is still something they're doing; they just ended up going in a different direction with the designs at the request of the licensor. So, nothing new to show, and probably won't be coming for a little while.

- Predator was not announced or confirmed in any way; it was brought up in a question connected with Alien, and Chuck said basically they have a working relationship with Fox, and it's something he'd like to do.

- Disney remains a case-by-case thing, at the request of Disney. Chuck talked about some "amazing" Nightmare Before Christmas (cry, cry) designs they had done, but sadly never went anywhere.

I know Storm and Ivan were there; anything interesting I missed?

Edited by Lobsterman

I'm still super pumped to fill my hydra ranks. and add falcon and winter soldier.

SO glad that the TRU pack is Winter Soldier and Hydra Trooper. So that means I can get both looks for winter soldier and get an extra army builder. pure win

So Lobby, you're spending your birthday at Comic-Con? Nice. Probably a little dangerous, with all those potential birthday treats around to pick up....

Thanks for the report. I swear, someone must ask the "what's the rarest Minimate" question at every panel.

So there's still a big license out there? Interesting.

About Nightmare Before Christmas... I've hinted a couple times (if anyone remembers) that Chuck had told me at NYCC about a Disney line they had designed and then cancelled when DS decided they didn't want to do anything more with that property at the time... well, that was it. I swear, my knees almost buckled when I heard that. NBC is in a three-way tie with the Incredibles and the Rocketeer for the Disney movie I most want to see 'mated.

Oh, as for Star Trek, I would bet that it's far, far too early for DST to have much of an idea about a second series yet. They've made it clear that it's dependent on how series one does, and I don't think they can know that yet. Same deal with Battle Beasts, and we're only just now seeing more of those. I would bet they'll know more by NYCC in the fall.

NBC is my favorite Disney movie! I hope they release them sometime. As for aliens I had no doubt that they'd be awesome. And I'm glad to hear predators is on the table. And there still is a big licence uh? They have another panel about everything else so they might announce it there? Or maybe at NYCC.

Aliens- I didn't get a great look because I was in the back of the room, but the art for Vasquez looked like there was some kind of unique peg attachment piece that plugs into the back of the torso block to carry the railgun. It was specifically called out on the control art sheet, so it appears to be some new construction. The prototypes of the xenos look amazing. I'm sorry there aren't clear pics for you guys, but nobody will be disappointed by these! Think Battle Beasts level sculpting and detail. The prototype of Newt had weirdly gigantic hair... and now I'm kicking myself for not noticing if she uses a smaller body. :/

If you look at the control art slide, you can easily see the difference in arm length between Newt & Vasquez. So it would appear that Newt is using the newer smaller minimate body.

Oh! Also, if the control art for Pulp Fiction and Sin City bear out, we should be getting a gasoline can and a hand holding a coffee cup. I thought those would be cool accessories some people might be interested in. :)

Edited by Lobsterman