UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2013-Discussion Thread

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope no one is buying these exclusive sdcc merks on eBay? I don't know if zach has anything special planned but I've come across a good amount of purple and Orange versions I'm willing to trade for before anyone drops money down to scalpers.

Wait, the Yellow ranger was a DUDE in Japan?! Why?!

MMPR season 1 is an adaption of the Super Sentai series "Zuyranger" and in it the yellow ranger was male and I'm guessing they changed him to a woman to add more gender diversity. Other series like Gingaman, which became Lost Galaxy and Gaoranger, which became Wild Force also had a mostly male team and one member made female for diversity. I'm curious to see if they do the same with the current Sentai series Kyoryuger.

Blerg - i've already got bids in on a couple or purple and orange Merks. Let me know if there's anything i can swap for em. If it saves me $60+ on evilBay, i'll be happy :)

MMPR season 1 is an adaption of the Super Sentai series "Zuyranger" and in it the yellow ranger was male and I'm guessing they changed him to a woman to add more gender diversity. Other series like Gingaman, which became Lost Galaxy and Gaoranger, which became Wild Force also had a mostly male team and one member made female for diversity. I'm curious to see if they do the same with the current Sentai series Kyoryuger.

That's the reason why when in costume Kimberly had a skirt and lady parts, but Trina did not.

So I now need to buy 2 yellow rangers (if I can manage to get the Japanese version).

The SH Figuarts Power Rangers and Sailor Moon lines were the standouts of the con for me. Its going to be extremely expensive for me ($400+ for both teams of 5) but the quality, articulation and schmorgesborg of accessories and swappable parts, not to mention the nostalgia of the early 90's make these my main priority this year and probably alot of 2014 too.

Marvel and DC were unimpressive, and the news about MU and ML "rebranding" just makes me glad I haven't invested much in them.

Minimates were awesome as always.

I've already preordered the Red, Green, White, Pink and armoured Red, and they cost enough! Yellow, Black and Blue will be ordered when they are listed.

MMPR is probably the only license that I would love, but also hate, to see in 1/6 scale, as I would have to shell out for all 7 and probably not be able to afford food for a while :lol:

Edited by UK Collector

That's the reason why when in costume Kimberly had a skirt and lady parts, but Trina did not.

Exactly.

I'd both love to see MMPR but at the same time would be hesitant. I've recently become a bit of a Super Sentai fan; I watched and LOVED Gokaiger and like many fans am unsure about the "Super Megaforce" direction the adaption is taking (i.e. the cast won't line up as well as their Sentai counter part, the costumes are now power ups to the Megaforce costumes and the pirate-style story Gokaiger had is unlikely). On the one hand if a PR license gave me minimates of the Gokaiger costumes then I'd be throwing money at my monitors until they appear in my hands. However as they'd be based on the American adaptation and not the characters I knew and loved it wouldn't be the same, i.e. it wouldn't be Captain Marvelous under "Gokai" Red's helmet.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the license was aimed more at the first few season of MMPR as opposed to the later ones. Now I loved MMPR as a kid and while I stopped watching around Season 3/Zeo, I have watched a few reviews of the later series which has lead to a passing interest in them, watched Gokaiger (as previously mentioned) and been watching PR Samurai/Super Samurai on NetFlix and as a result, would like to get some of those as well as the MMPR crew.

Edited by pawcanada

For anyone seeing this thread at SDCC, can I request some pics of the set from NBC's Grimm? Please and thank you!

Exactly.

I'd both love to see MMPR but at the same time would be hesitant. I've recently become a bit of a Super Sentai fan; I watched and LOVED Gokaiger and like many fans am unsure about the "Super Megaforce" direction the adaption is taking (i.e. the cast won't line up as well as their Sentai counter part, the costumes are now power ups to the Megaforce costumes and the pirate-style story Gokaiger had is unlikely). On the one hand if a PR license gave me minimates of the Gokaiger costumes then I'd be throwing money at my monitors until they appear in my hands. However as they'd be based on the American adaptation and not the characters I knew and loved it wouldn't be the same, i.e. it wouldn't be Captain Marvelous under "Gokai" Red's helmet.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the license was aimed more at the first few season of MMPR as opposed to the later ones. Now I loved MMPR as a kid and while I stopped watching around Season 3/Zeo, I have watched a few reviews of the later series which has lead to a passing interest in them, watched Gokaiger (as previously mentioned) and been watching PR Samurai/Super Samurai on NetFlix and as a result, would like to get some of those as well as the MMPR crew.

That is really interesting. I always figured that was the case but never paid that much attention.

The SH Figuarts Power Rangers and Sailor Moon lines were the standouts of the con for me. Its going to be extremely expensive for me ($400+ for both teams of 5) but the quality, articulation and schmorgesborg of accessories and swappable parts, not to mention the nostalgia of the early 90's make these my main priority this year and probably alot of 2014 too.

Marvel and DC were unimpressive, and the news about MU and ML "rebranding" just makes me glad I haven't invested much in them.

Minimates were awesome as always.

I've been following the thread over on The Fwoosh. http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=85351 I have a passing familiarity with both MMPR and DBZ, but I never watched either as a child. I could see myself getting all 5 rangers, but there's people over there getting ALL of them. That has to be a logical nightmare to get 20*5+extras. I really like the Akibara ones though. They just look neat.

hellpop, on 20 Jul 2013 - 17:30, said:

Cool Toy Review posted their DST gallery, which probably has the biggest pics I've seen, and includes the Ghostbusters (with a clear shot of an Alien in the background):

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/2013_sdcc/SDCC_2013_Diamond_Select_Toys_Friday/

Thanks for the info! Those GB look awesome! Is it just me or are these proton packs a new piece? Anyway, the xenomorph looks phenomenal as always. This will be probably the only figure that i'll army build the heck out of (shield agents,hydra and aim troopers come close though).

Also, did anyone else notice that Allen the Alien is a 2.5 minimate? Personally i think it looks quite good and is the best figure in the box set, They are all really well made though. I may not have read a single issue of the comic but i'm really excited about these mates. The TOT box set looks good as well. The more civvie mates the merrier i say!

Edited by Kostisfire

I don't think that Allen is actually a 2.5 mate. Just bulked up with big feet, a big head, big jacket, and probably a waist extender. He looks regular sized at the joints.

Bulked up mates, like, say Hulk are talle than the normal figures by half a head usually. But in Allen's case Omni-Man reaches to his shoulders. IDK, it might be the bigh jacket, head and the fact that he's behind the other figs that make him seem taller. I just figured that since they're using the kid bodies they might have resurected the 2.5 body.

If Chuck has his way, you'll never see the 2.5" body ever again. They have enough size enhancing features that I'd bet money that Allen is a 2" body. And although they use kid bodies now, the first was with them designing mates for Icon Heroes and the second was them designing for Disney. It's not widespread and I doubt you'll see it happen much in other licenses that DST controls.

If Chuck has his way, you'll never see the 2.5" body ever again. They have enough size enhancing features that I'd bet money that Allen is a 2" body. And although they use kid bodies now, the first was with them designing mates for Icon Heroes and the second was them designing for Disney. It's not widespread and I doubt you'll see it happen much in other licenses that DST controls.

I don't really think Allen needs a 2.5 body tbh. And yeah, i'm pobably mistaken. It's just the depth that makes him look bigger. The torso extendors and all that are fine for taller characters. And i quite like that even with the kid body you can swap some parts around.

Also,does anyone know how many hours remain until the panel starts?

Edited by Kostisfire

If it is a 2.5 body, it would be a strange choice. Allen is a big guy in the comic, but I wouldn't think that he's huge enough to warrant a bigger body.

True. I don't like the 2.5 that much to be honest. If the dc line was still active i wouldn't mind a 3" doomsday or darkseid but anyway. If my calculations are correct the panel starts in 20 minutes, right?

Kostis,

It's 1.30pm, it's 10.50 ish now, so about... 2.5hrs

T.

In the zone converter it said that it'd start around 20:30 according to my time. Guess i put some wrong numbers. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Edited by Kostisfire

Kostis,

It's 1.30pm, it's 10.50 ish now, so about... 2.5hrs

T.

In the zone converter it said that it'd start around 20:30 according to my time. Guess i put some wrong numbers. Anyway, thanks for the info!

My guess is you converted to East coast time, San Diego is West coast which is 3 hrs behind that.

T.