UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2013-Discussion Thread

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just got back from the minimate party, and as a minimate collector, it was awesome. More on that later. But after seeing all the new stuff coming out, its a good time to be a minimate collector. So much great stuff in the works. Aliens look awesome. And scare me that they could send push Minimates to a whole new level of fans. And while it may be good for the business, it could easily get harder for us trying to stay on top of everything. I'm buzzed right now, but like I said, more on that party later!

So what's going on with the universal monsters line? I can't imagine my invisible mate much longer and The Phantom needs to be released!

The lines been cancelled for a while, sorry Mystery Man :(

I wouldn't mind some Apes in armors and such but i can't see this line being big. We'd need something more toy-esque and widely recognised. Chuck said that they had no plans for Predator mates but they did make some designs a few years back. They did tease a new predators movie and they're really trying to push the alien and pred franchises so it looks like a likely candinate. It probably won't be it but it'd be a dream come true!

My money is on the big, new line being Aliens.

I think that's already been debunked.

I wouldn't mind some Apes in armors and such but i can't see this line being big. We'd need something more toy-esque and widely recognised. Chuck said that they had no plans for Predator mates but they did make some designs a few years back. They did tease a new predators movie and they're really trying to push the alien and pred franchises so it looks like a likely candinate. It probably won't be it but it'd be a dream come true!

It can be big if they incorporate classic with the new movies. I would tolerate a few box sets of new movie Ape related mates if it got me a bunch of classic ones - there are a ton of great looking designs available.

Really?!?! Now I am excited. I can't help but think of the following in this order:

1. Masters of the Universe - Eons ago when AA still owned Minimates, I was at a Con talking to Adam Unger. He said he was talking to a rep from Mattel who advised him that Art Asylum should go all in with making only Minimates. This was a long time ago but I remember thinking how cool it was that a big toy company knew of and respected the Minimates brand. I believe TBT was with me so he can back me up or shoot me down. After seeing Icon Heroes Castle Grayskull, I have hopes that Icon Heroes can pull off MOTU Minimates.

2. Walking Dead TV Show - The comic versions have been a smash hit. I think it's a given we will see a series based on the show at some point.

3. Star Wars - This would be a seismic event. An honest-to-God earthquake would strike SDCC.

I theorize it won't be the following:

1. Return of DC Minimates - This will be a *new* line so I don't think DC qualifies. Plus, DC movies have been weak. Weak interest with high license costs = no.

2. GI Joe - The Kreons seem to preclude GI Joe. Plus, GI Joe movies have been weak. Weak interest with high license costs = no.

3. Planet of the Apes - I'm on the fence with this one. If DST got the license for a good deal, then maybe. But I don't see TRU quickly selling out of these. It's a big gamble in an area packed with eclectic merchandise from old movies, horror, and video games.

I'm in, if it means minimate horses for the ape soldiers to ride..... oh, and for ape soldiers too, love their uniforms, and were always a favorite mego to play with

With all the properties they've offered, Minimates is my new Mego but for them to complete my sphere of interest, I'm gonna need some damned, dirty apes. (And some astronauts. Because astronauts rock, especially ape astronauts. Oh, and the Icarus. Astronauts need a sweet ride.)

Why are we assuming the new line isn't the pulp fiction sin city thing?

Because we're fools! FOOLS, I tell you! HAHAHahahaaaaa!!!

1. Masters of the Universe - Eons ago when AA still owned Minimates, I was at a Con talking to Adam Unger. He said he was talking to a rep from Mattel who advised him that Art Asylum should go all in with making only Minimates. This was a long time ago but I remember thinking how cool it was that a big toy company knew of and respected the Minimates brand. I believe TBT was with me so he can back me up or shoot me down. After seeing Icon Heroes Castle Grayskull, I have hopes that Icon Heroes can pull off MOTU Minimates.

Well there's a blast from the past... Adam was great to chat to, as he didn't seem to have much of a filter on what he should and shouldn't tell. I do remember that conversation with Adam and If memory serves he also said that the guys at Mattel knew AA were onto a winner with minimates and had even tried to get them to sell the 'minimates' brand once.

T.

Really?!?! Now I am excited. I can't help but think of the following in this order:

2. Walking Dead TV Show - The comic versions have been a smash hit. I think it's a given we will see a series based on the show at some point.

3. Star Wars - This would be a seismic event. An honest-to-God earthquake would strike SDCC.

I theorize it won't be the following:

1. Return of DC Minimates - This will be a *new* line so I don't think DC qualifies. Plus, DC movies have been weak. Weak interest with high license costs = no.

2. GI Joe - The Kreons seem to preclude GI Joe. Plus, GI Joe movies have been weak. Weak interest with high license costs = no.

3. Planet of the Apes - I'm on the fence with this one. If DST got the license for a good deal, then maybe. But I don't see TRU quickly selling out of these. It's a big gamble in an area packed with eclectic merchandise from old movies, horror, and video games.

Thanks for the major knowledge bomb! Very cool to hear that about Mattel & AA :)

Honestly, as long as it's not a video game franchise (NOT my favorite area), I'm excited.

I'm not a big MOTU fan, but if they're handled like Thundercats I'd be buying them all. Walking Dead TV show - please No! Aside from a Daryl / Merle 2-pack, I really don't need much of anything from the TV show, especially as a "big" line.

POTA would definitely work, even if it's a handful of boxsets or a couple figure waves. POTA is the granddaddy of licensed lines, and the designs would translate very well to minimates.

Star Wars - license is so micro-sliced into fractions of pies, not going to hold my breath.

DC - with the focus on New 52, I've lost all interest. Would buy '66 Batman mates though.

GI Joe - I agree. I'd buy them, but not very likely at all.

Why are we assuming the new line isn't the pulp fiction sin city thing?

Zach said that they won't be showing Sin City or Pulp Fiction now and the site says one new big line which will debut at the panel. And tbh neither of them have the legs to stand as a big line.

I'm in, if it means minimate horses for the ape soldiers to ride..... oh, and for ape soldiers too, love their uniforms, and were always a favorite mego to play with

With all the properties they've offered, Minimates is my new Mego but for them to complete my sphere of interest, I'm gonna need some damned, dirty apes. (And some astronauts. Because astronauts rock, especially ape astronauts. Oh, and the Icarus. Astronauts need a sweet ride.)

>Why are we assuming the new line isn't the pulp fiction sin city thing?

Because we're fools! FOOLS, I tell you! HAHAHahahaaaaa!!!

I agree wholeheartedly!! Ape Astronauts!

As for Pulp Fiction / Sin City, How are these "BIG"? These are a few box sets, not very expansive for selections.