UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2013-Discussion Thread

NOTE: This thread is for discussion for the 2013 SDCC. For pics & links please post in main 2013 SDCC Photo thread

***************************************************************************************

SDCC2013_zpsa1afed72.jpg

With tonight being preview night, it seemed appropriate to start a new thread about SDCC 2013 that wasn't speculation and gave us a place to share Minimate news as it becomes available.

And yes, I tweaked MINI_MYTE's picture that he tweaked from Zach's picture.

And yes, I started this thread really just to post that pic.

Edited by groundhog7s

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited to see some new stuff. Of the toy lines that I collect (Hasbro's Marvel stuff and Mattel's DC stuff), Minimates seem to be in the best shape right now. Hopefully we'll see a couple Marvel waves, some Aliens, and a new license or two.

Still debating on whether to go tomorrow or wait until Friday. I'm really tired of the Con's setup and overcrowding, and honestly the only thing I have any interest in this year is Minimates! I'm done with standing in line after line to get tickets and jump through hoops for overpriced exclusives, which led me to give up on Mattel & Hasbro. The main thing keeping me back on Thursday is I'd still have to drive back & forth to LA since my wife can't go until Friday. So, commuting, crowds & long lines do not an enthusiast make!

Plus, the absence of The Hobbit has really dampened my enthusiasm this year.

In my experience, Thursday's usually the best day at a big con, because it's less attended then the weekend days, but I don't know if that makes any difference at SDCC. I don't know that DST's going to have any new Minimates on display Thursday anyway, and I don't think you'll have any trouble getting 'mate exclusives on Friday. When is that Hot Wings Merk event? That's the one thing I'd try and get to, if I were you.

Honestly gutted to once again not be there. SOOOO many awesome exclusives this year. Got my 'Mates on preorder already.

The only other thing I'm really after isn't available for preorder, and sadly I couldn't find anyone to be my "mule" and pick 'em up for me. :'(

Thanks Hellpop, but SDCC is an entirely different beast! I think a lot of it has to do with the exclusives.

Back in the day up until just in recent years, preview night Wednesday was the best time to go, even when exclusives weren't for sale until Thursday, because it used to be manageable enough that you could at least look around. Now, Wednesday is packed full, and Thursday is a nightmare mainly because everyone is trying to get those exclusives. Every day is sold out for attendance.

I wouldn't mind a Hot Wings Merck, but those don't get passed out until what, 10pm on Thursday night? I'd still have a 2-hour drive back to LA to turn around and drive back to SD early in the AM with my wife on Friday, so that's just not looking too appealing!

Honestly, so much of the costs involved with SDCC exceed the markups I'd pay on the exclusives on ebay. That $300 hotel room would sure cover a lot of toys instead :) The only non-minimate item I want is that 6" Boba Fett & Han Carbonite pack, but I literally despise the entire HTS experience to even consider wasting my time. For that one, I'll try my luck on Sunday maybe.

So much of the SDCC experience has been made into a chore. Waste an entire day in line to buy tickets for the next year? No thanks! (I believe they ended that practice at least) Wait in line to get a ticket to wait in another line to hopefully get what isn't sold out by the time you get the the register? No thanks. Walk right up to the DST booth and buy some minimates? Yes please! The EE & AFX exclusives have almost no lines on Sunday at their booths.

I really hate to say it, but I almost feel like Sunday is the best day to simply enjoy the convention. Since I can commute back to LA, the hotel money I save can go to toys. I used to get a room, but the prices have gone past the point of sanity even in the surrounding communities. But commuting 2 hours each way is exhausting too. Sorry to complain, but SDCC no longer has the best value for me personally for the cost. If it wasn't such a frustrating cluster-fc$k, I'd be happy to go through the effort every day of the con. SDCC is just not the same anymore. I was hoping once the Twilighters were done it might go back to semi-normal, but that isn't happening either.

Minimates are the only toys I'm still passionate about because DST hasn't pissed me off with poor consumer treatment like Mattel, Hasbro, Lego, etc have. (I love Lego, but their SDCC exclusive minifigs are a huge slap in the face! Raffle only, no chance to buy, and limited as all getout! WTF!?!)

My experience on con days...

(And this experience, I will note is NOT with SDCC, I've never been. So it may well be a different beast, as stated above)

Thur is a ghost town. No crowd, and half the time, half the guests haven't shown up yet and some of the booths aren't even set up. If vendors are offering them, it's by far the best day to get exclusives, as there's way less competition. But usually the show hours are way shorter thur too, bordering on a half-day.

Fri is also pretty dead, but less so than Thurs. The con is more in full swing. Still, lots of celebrities/guests won't have shown up. And likely only 1 or 2 worthwhile panels. This is the best day to find cool (not necessarily cheap, but sometimes) buys, before other people scoop them up.

Sat is a giant crowded crapstorm of people. Usually shoulder to shoulder. The upside of Saturday is it's usually the day that ever Celebrity Guest/Artist/Other cool attendee is there, and also usually the day with the best, most worth seeing panels, which is fortunate, since it gives you time AWAY from the crowd... if you so choose.

Sun dies down a bit again. Far less people than Saturday, but still a fair few. Sunday is the best day to get bargains, as every booth starts dropping their prices to unload as much as they can and not have to pack things up. This is when you start to see lots of post-its with slashed prices, and people yelling out "Half off such and such!" It's also the best day for haggling, as after 4 days not selling an item, vendors are more willing to bend.

That's the long and short of most cons in my experience. Each day has its pros and cons.

Edited by Gillbob316

Gillbob, that's NOT SDCC. I wish to hell it was! You can barely walk the aisles on Wednesday preview night, let alone Thursday. Friday is packed. Saturday is packed. Sunday is packed, but slightly less so.

SDCC is the only con that doesn't sell tickets at the door anyore, because they're sold out long in advance. Every vendor is set up and ready to sell sell sell! I've been told that the vendors have 400-600 vendors on a waitlist to get a table at the show! Nobody not setting up on the first day when the booth is $1500 and up!

SDCC is a beast! I imagine even NYCC pales in comparison (never been there myself)

What bothers me most about SDCC is that so many companies focus their presence/exclusives to that show while there are several other locations starting to grow that get no attention. From all that I've seen in the past few years I can never see myself trying to go to SDCC in my life. Five years ago maybe, but not now that it's gotten all of the Hollywood/media attention that it's seen. I'm not quite sure how anyone can actually enjoy being there, but I guess that's not my thing. But, to each their own. I do look forward to next year when Indianapolis gets its own con because I know it won't be packed, however I doubt there will be any big name company presence and expect zero toy exclusives.

Groundhog, SDCC is like the abusive spouse that still gives great Hot Sex! It's a great thing to see fandom so celebrated, but the overcrowding and greed take away alot of it's former charm. It will always be a Hollywood beast now due to it's proximity to LA and it's promotion capabilities. I know there were articles questioning if it's worth it for things like Scott Pilgrim the movie, etc, but you don't see the studios abandoning SDCC, do you? And what con can get Harrison Ford to show up even once, let alone twice now?

The Gaslamp district is really a charming area to explore and hang out in. If you lived in SD, it's worth hanging around even if you don't have a pass to go inside the convention center!

But yeah, it's cheaper to ship giant movie props to SD than it is to the midwest or east coast, and the actors usually only have to take a day or so out of their schedule to attend. So SDCC will always have the larger attendance of people flying in just hoping to see Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr, etc, so it makes sense to see companies focusing their efforts on such a huge surge of temporary tourism.

And if some things can't sell out with SDCC's attendance numbers, what's to think they'll have more success paying to ship them to a smaller con? Florida's last Star Wars Celebration had a very small DST presence, and Sideshow skipped it entirely. Cons aren't cheap to attend, so companies need to focus on the best returns they can get for the money.

Groundhog, SDCC is like the abusive spouse that still gives great Hot Sex!

See, I married my highschool sweetheart and as of next Wednesday we will have been married 19 years now. I never even dated anyone else other than her. If that's your analogy of SDCC, then that explains why I have no desire to go or can't figure out why so many old school fans still go.

And for anyone looking for reasonably priced Minimates from the con, there's a seller who's got most of them for very good prices with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-HERSHEL-S-FARM-MINIMATES-BOX-SET-SAN-DIEGO-COMIC-CON-2013-EX-/281131616987?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4174c00adb#ht_247wt_1057

SDCC has changed so much in the last 5 yrs.

It used to be busy but bearable but now it's just a Zoo and IMO getting too mainstream for it's own good.

I can see it getting to the stage where it implodes and because it cant grow any further ( The reason they cant sell more tickets is that they are maxed out on all of the safety reuirements for the convention center.) and people will get fed up with hassle to get tickets and dealing with it.

T.

I hear you monkeycrumb. Despite being a left coaster, my SDCC days are done -- it's been New York Comic Con for me. Just enough smaller to still be enjoyable, the only things missing are the big studio sets (and many of the stars).

Head over to Cool Toy Review for Hasbro pics!

New Legends reveals:

Tigershark

Blizzard

Radioactive Man

Batroc the Leaper

Jubilee

Flash Thompson Venom

Moonstone/Songbird running change

Marvel NOW! Thor

As well as confirmation that variants are still coming:

T-bolts Punisher

X-force Archangel

Iron Fist

Lyra

Sentry

And Iron Man Legends:

War Machine

Mandarin

RESCUE Pepper Potts with Pepper headsculpt

Figures look great, some look final.Great start to the Con for Hasbro.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

I recently found myself in a local pub ohmy.png alongside & in amongst a bunch of guys, barely half my age, talking about 'y'know geeky stuff' & duly mesmerised them with a couple of bits of conversation 'stuffthatolguyslikemewouldhavenoideaabout ' I chucked in that the San Diego Comic Con was coming up . As if as one they all blurted out that they 'would love to go' ................... I did my best but I just had to tell them that the old guy had been twice & that SDCC was.......................... "oh so very yesterday" biggrin.png

I would like to say that the previous poster ,Cappy, truly made my last visit to SDCC memorable.........he's a truly lovely guy but a terrible room-mate tongue.png

It's not the event it's the people..........& bollocks to the promos.

It must be kinda old hat to you guys, but last year i saved my pennies & made the pilgrimage to SDCC with my ex. We spent 3 days eating mexican food, treking about in back-packs, lining up for panels & shopping. It. Was. AWESOME!

I had so much fun. I marveled at the craftsmanship that went into all costumes. I got to ask a question at the Minimated panel. I saw Joss Whedon in a panel. I met Zach at the booth who greeted me warmly & asked what my MMMV name was (i had a flash-back to X2 where Magneto asks Pyro 'What's your *real* name?') AND I got to have a slice of pizza with some of the guys i'd been chatting, including the guy who has sent me every SDCC & TRU exclusive for the past several years.

If i had gone every year for the last decade, i might have been tired of it too, but as a newbie - i really did feel like i'd finally arrived. I can't wait to get there again some day.