UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I dug in the trash this morning!

Shanester

At one end of my street, approximately 600 meters, there is a cul de sac that dead ends into a huge field. I take my dog there and let her run free. There is a house at the end of the street, but I never see anyone around. Anyway, last night I saw boxes out front for the trash, but it was dark and I am not one to tresspass.

This morning I strolled by and there was an old time beer box, like the old thick fiber board cases, full of Legos. This box was filled to the top and even had all the instruction booklets from numerous sets dating from late 70s to early 80s. Out for the trash! I glanced over everything else, but no obvious other treasures!

Trash pick-up is not until tomorrow morning, so I plan to go back tonight and see if I missed anything. I may even ask the owners if there is anything else they need cleaned out of the attic.

I drug that box of Legos home and plan to dig through them tonight. The box, bricks and booklets got a bit wet since a dew had fallen, so I put everything out to dry. I will take some photos if anyone is interested in seeing my bounty.

There I was, 37 years old, dragging toys out of the trash without an ounce of shame.

When I used to work at local toy store (years ago) we would have a lot of people return items they had purchased as "defective." We would return their money or issue a credit and then attempt to regain something from the manufacturing company. More often than not though, the toys weren't broken, only being misused or the kids simply didn't like them as much as they thought they would. The items would be stored in the backroom in large containers until we received credit from the companies at which point we were supposed dispose of the items. Very few things ever made it out to the dumpster though as many of the employees were either toy fans or had children at home. One time however a new employee took an entire box of items out without realizing the "official" protocol allowing the employees to dig through it first. AS soon as his mistake was discovered, three employees were all climbing in after their "misplaced treasures."

At one end of my street, approximately 600 meters, there is a cul de sac that dead ends into a huge field. I take my dog there and let her run free. There is a house at the end of the street, but I never see anyone around. Anyway, last night I saw boxes out front for the trash, but it was dark and I am not one to tresspass.

This morning I strolled by and there was an old time beer box, like the old thick fiber board cases, full of Legos. This box was filled to the top and even had all the instruction booklets from numerous sets dating from late 70s to early 80s. Out for the trash! I glanced over everything else, but no obvious other treasures!

Trash pick-up is not until tomorrow morning, so I plan to go back tonight and see if I missed anything. I may even ask the owners if there is anything else they need cleaned out of the attic.

I drug that box of Legos home and plan to dig through them tonight. The box, bricks and booklets got a bit wet since a dew had fallen, so I put everything out to dry. I will take some photos if anyone is interested in seeing my bounty.

There I was, 37 years old, dragging toys out of the trash without an ounce of shame.

Dibs on any Shogun Warriors you find in their attic or the trash.... :D

:jawdrop: A giant box of LEGO? WOW, nice score Shane!!! :)

You are the first person I thought of! You should see this load of bricks and figures. I didn't see any licensed stuff, but honestly, it all appears to be too old for that. Its all knights, spacemen and regular Joes like firemen and such. There are many booklets from the old sets. I'll know more tonight when I go through it all.

Congratulations! Finding the booklets is a major... uh... find!

You should assemble all the sets and post some pics!

:jawdrop: A giant box of LEGO? WOW, nice score Shane!!! :)

You are the first person I thought of! You should see this load of bricks and figures. I didn't see any licensed stuff, but honestly, it all appears to be too old for that. Its all knights, spacemen and regular Joes like firemen and such. There are many booklets from the old sets. I'll know more tonight when I go through it all.

Man, those sound like the OLD ones. Lucky. I can't count how many time's I've done the same thing.

God man, im surrounded by stalkers.... if this is what a minimate addict is like, then I'm out. But as they say whats one mans trash is another mans treasure, just dont rifle through mine yeah :P

cheers,

Tk

um...... its a little late for that.......oh and be a little more courteous to the next stalker and put the sharp rusty metal objects in a separate can tetanus shots are not fun

Aw man, vintage figures galore!! You really hit the jackpot Shanester! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, either. :)

Can't wait to see the pics.

What a suck up! Two weeks ago you're publicly dissing him for buying a Shockini (and other miscellaneous lameness), but now he's a nice guy since he found a box o' Legos in the trash (and you probably want some)! :lol:

I'm still going through this stuff. Boy, it really brings back memories. I had a literal suitcase full of Legos as a kid, but gave them to a younger cousin and never saw them again.

Well, here are some pics:

lego1.jpg

lego2.jpg

I vaguely remember these guys, but don't remember anything about them.

lego3.jpg

Remember these old Lego cavemen? Ah, memories...

lego4.jpg

lego5.jpg

Im envious.

All I ever find in the trash is needles...

lmao hey i've got to admit I'm envious as well! the to the chance to dig through the trash for classic legos oh yes I'd be diggin'

hey look at that a deep desire to go rummage through the trash and not an ounce of shame. :blink::D :o

HOLY CRAP that galaxy explorer set used to be my favorite lego set when I was a kid! can you post the set number from that one or send it to me so I can see how painful it would be to track one down on ebay,Thanks!

Man, I've never seen one of those nonposable minifigs up close. They sure were crappy, but it dates back at least to the mid-70s. The current LEGO minifig wasn't around until 1978-79 or somewhere around there.

The thing I'm really impressed with is how good the condition seems to be. They look practically new.

What an unbelievably cool find! It almost cancels out your Shockini purchase... Almost. :)