UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Power Rangers Minimates

6 hours ago, Mattallica said:

https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Arsenal_(Mighty_Morphin_1)

reading more"  the green one is a villain, until he turns good and becomes white ranger. so we have our first baddie

Also becomes the Red Zeo ranger, Red Turbo ranger, Black Dino Thunder Ranger and in another timeline becomes Lord Drakkon and goes into the other Universes trying to kill all the rangers. Basically hes the most badass ranger ever

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Mattallica said:

and poor mr Roboto is weaponless?

Yes. He never actually does anything. He just flails around all the time at the control center watching the Rangers in battle.

He looks cool though.

Quickly and easily, yes. The Turtles are nothing compared to the stuff the Rangers face daily. 
All four turtles working as the Turtles are meant to work could take a single Ranger. But team vs team the Rangers take it. 

Rangers fight threats on the level of Godzilla villains with the Zords. Without them, they face down things on the level of, say, Parasite from Superman or like… I’d say Zed is a Loki level threat. Without their blasters or other weapons they can take on monsters that are essentially Ultron drones made of rocks. With their weapons, which I expect them to have as they were not excluded in the parameters, I think they could beat, let’s say, Wenwu or Ronan. 

So, the one thing that caught my eye on the packaging for these is the different looking Minimates Logo. Curious if this was an intentional change, or if the font package got lost on the way to the printer. 

I'm also assuming that the second set will match up the front cover with this one to make a large scene. 

These are great. I'm hoping I can find my Zords from the 90s to go along with them.

8 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

So, the one thing that caught my eye on the packaging for these is the different looking Minimates Logo.

It's difficult for me to remain interested in this licence when all I recall about Power Rangers when it was on the TV was my gratitude for a nearby TV remote. That's my age & my honesty ..& not anything nasty or snarky. 

The product & their reception, by those that obviously love them ,is far more important .

So ,the one thing that caught my eye on the packaging for these is the different looking Minimates Logo.

Had people been criticising the old one?;)

22 hours ago, WookieFodder said:

See I’m glad I asked. I’m not even sure what the TMNT fighter hierarchy is. Probably Super Shredder, Shredder, Slash, Leo?

I don’t know the skill level of any of the rangers or their villains, just that Tommy is a badass

I don't agree with Trekker's assessment. 

Most of MMPR's villains are no different than a generic mutant in the TMNT world. Which they easily handled all the time.

The MMPR villains usually end up the size of a kaiju, but are never depicted as terribly competent IMO. The TMNT have had their own giant robots and such before, so one would assume if there were no MMPR but the villains attacks the TMNT they would find a way to handle them. 

But your question was on MMPR vs TMNT and I think if you're just talking Ranger vs Turtle, 1 on 1, the Turtles always win. The TMNT are supposed to be the best of the best in terms of ninjas and also they would presumably have some extra strength, jumping ability, etc, due to their mutation. Although that's never explicitly stated, given some of the things they do we can assume they don't just have the average skills of the average man.

MMPR as shown to be competent, but not the best at their martial arts. Adding in some minor additional strength and jumping ability, etc, when in Ranger form (again never explicitly stated but one presumes the suits give them additional hit points and enhanced abilities) the Rangers are still below the TMNT.

Of course it depends on which version of the TMNT we're talking about.

Probably the weakest, most incompetent TMNT (Next Mutation) crossed over with the MMPR and were shown to be on the same level, if not stronger.

And of course there are the recent TMNT/MMPR comics that show them on pretty even footing.

But when you take into account all the other canons, it seems the TMNT are generally better/stronger on a 1-1 basis. The issue for the TMNT would be that there are dozens of PR total and the numbers game presuming you could get all PRs together to fight them... Of course, TMNT has clearly established that they have a multiverse with dozens of incarnations of themselves and their allies... So it's pretty even... And oh god, I've spent too long thinking about this.

22 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

It's difficult for me to remain interested in this licence when all I recall about Power Rangers when it was on the TV was my gratitude for a nearby TV remote. That's my age & my honesty ..& not anything nasty or snarky. 

I too know nothing about them but the little i saw of the show back in the day, but the tv show aside, and if youre not bothered by the price( or can find a deal on them as i did)the Mates themselves are quite nice, very colorful and have a nice amount of accessories.  

I think Pinkie is my favorite of the bunch :)

Edited by Mattallica

Like BHM I never "got" the show. Which is weird because I grew up watching all sorts of Kaiju nonsense that a local channel out of Oakland would air, and I loved it. 

But the Mates have cool parts and custom potential, so I'm sure I'll end up with some.

Those of you who didn’t love the show, I recommend the reboot film from a few years back. Especially if you’re asking yourself “why the hell didn’t this work for me?”
it’s basically the Breakfast Club with super kung fu powers. Far better and more interesting characters than the show had and Elizabeth Banks having the time of her goddamn life acting like a jackass in the role of the villain Rita Repulsa. 
It’s not everyone’s thing, but it casts a wider net than the show did and while the pacing is slower than one might expect the characters are strong enough that you don’t mind. 

I also enjoyed Boom Studios’ Power Rangers comics a lot. If you don’t want to try to jump into the Deep Lore, check out their crossovers with the Justice League and Godzilla. The Justice League one is even written by Tom Taylor so if you like the Injustice comics, this stands a good chance of being something you’d like. 

This talk of Turtles vs Rangers just makes me want a set based off the crossover comic like Hasbro did for the Lightning Collection. I grew up watching/loving the show & have been accused multiple times of being a superfan; but even I find it hard to sit through the old series without thinking from time to time "wtf was 7yr old me on that I got into this?". Luckily the BOOM! comics universe has given us a more mature (for what it is) take on the Ranger universe for my current tastes. 

I was not a huge MMPR guy, it was pretty much past my time but I did watch some of the original show because I am a fan of kaiju, tokusatsu and stuff in general. I could recognize that the show, you know, wasn't great. But neither was a lot of stuff. Filmation's He-Man for example.

But the designs were cool, giant monsters fighting and I could always sort of see a cooler version in my head. Mind's eye and all that.

If you're into Ultraman or Voltron or anything like that, I'd suggest giving these figures a try. Even if you never watch a MMPR episode. The basic concept should appeal to most 70s and 80s kids. And these are really well done.

Yeah MMPR is definitely a product of it's time and doesn't hold up too well, MMPR is sort of like Saved By the Bell but with fun action sequences it works for what is. Zyuranger (the original Japanese version which MMPR is based on), I thought was still pretty good. 

Edited by RedTiger95

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...