UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What's Your Favorite Movie?

hellpop

Congrats on your wedding anniversary!

That is a very hard question. I don't think I could pick a favorite movie. But the one that has the most nostalgic value for me is Back to the Future. I used to watch it with my brothers all the time when I was a kid. We only had 6 or 7 movies on VHS, and that was one of them. We had a cassette player that was built into the TV, so we used to record our own goofy voiceovers and play them along with the movie. In the late 80's that seemed like magic to me. I have probably watched that movie at least 40 times, and it never gets old. :)

like Luke, I can't pick one all time favorite. But all through high school I would watch Goldeneye, the first Mission Impossible, A Goofy Movie and Emperor's New Groove all at least once a week. to this day I can quote the entirety of each movie.

Since then (sheesh, almost 15 years ago. I feel pretty old), a lot of new movies have taken their place in my list of awesome films, but those 4 will always stick with me for much of the same basic reason that Luke gave - classic childhood (errr, teenage) nostalgia

I don't have any hard time answering this question:

Favorite movie of all-time: Before Sunrise (and of course, I love the whole trilogy which includes Before Sunset and Before Midnight. I haven't yet watched the latter).

This movie is pure genius. It's raw and very emotionally visceral. I mean, how do you say hello when you know you'll say good-bye eventually? I know it sounds a bit corny and trite, but Linklater and the cast Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke managed to translate this concept into the big screen.

I love it when Delpy said in an interview that she can summarize the entire trilogy by saying that Before Sunrise is "What can be", Before Sunset is "What should be" and Before Midnight is "What is".

I cannot recommend this movie enough.

My other favorite movie per genre:

Action: Face-off

Comic Book Adaptation: X-Men 2

Animation: The Lion King

Humor: Liar Liar

and hellpop, I also love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I love Carrey films. You should check out The Majestic, another masterpiece, IMO. :)

Edited by warburger

Today's my eight wedding anniversary, and my wife and I celebrated by watching our mutual favorite movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Just felt like asking y'all what your favorite movies are.

Congrats Mr and Mrs Hellpop. A brilliant film choice too.

As for my favourites, there are many, but off the top of my head:

Predator

Jaws

Jurassic Park

The Dark Knight

Superman II

Oldboy

The Iron Giant

Wall-E

The Avengers

Empire strikes back

I used to have clear favorites, but now it's harder for me to nail them down. And I'm not sure picking one is possible. But my short list would include Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Aliens, Miller's Crossing, the Maltese Falcon, A History of Violence, and the Big Lebowski. I'm still waiting for a comic movie to break into this list.

Edited by karamazov80

Depends on what mood I'm in. I'm probably going to have to give it consistently to How to Train Your Dragon. Some of the others include Rikki Tikki Tavi, Tangled, Galaxy Quest, Some Like it Hot, Dr Strangelove, Prince of Egypt, Apollo 13, and the Incredibles. Each of those fits a very specific mood.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is the greatest movie ever made. yes.gif

It's up there IMO. That, alongside Star Wars and Empire, are probably the best straight ahead action/adventure movies I'm familiar with. Edited by karamazov80

I used to have clear favorites, but now it's harder for me to nail them down. And I'm not sure picking one is possible. But my short list would include Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Aliens, Miller's Crossing, the Maltese Falcon, A History of Violence, and the Big Lebowski. I'm still waiting for a comic movie to break into this list.

Technically A History of Violence is a comic book movie. My current top five are Good Will Hunting, Slumdog Millionaire, The Avengers, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Goonies.

I've got a few too:

Goldeneye

The Spy Who Loved Me

Skyfall

California Suite

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Empire Strikes Back

The Avengers

(500) Days of Summer

American Psycho

Man of Steel

Die Hard 3

Dirty Dancing

Black Swan

Halloween

Grease

The Sound of Music

Friends with Benefits

Spirited Away

BSG: Razor

Okay....so more than a few...

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Depends on what mood I'm in. I'm probably going to have to give it consistently to How to Train Your Dragon.

HTTYD was so surprisingly good, I saw it when it was played on TV over one of the national holidays here in the UK. It was so good I recorded it and then watched it again that night when my girlfriend came home.

I keep a top three list for each year since I was born (1981) since that is easier to say what my favorites are for each year. My all time favorite though is Empire Strikes Back.

This year so far

Star Trek Into Darkness

Iron Man 3

World War Z

oh man, this list can go on forever but I'd have to say, Full Metal Jacket. And my favorite movie-related memory is the time I played said movie for my parents right before I told them I was joining the Marine Corps.