UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My 3D Printer has arrived, and my first prints are for Minimates of course!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first series of accessories is now available to order! It includes 5 unique items: a shield throwing accessory, hammer throwing accessory, hammer catching accessory, ice blast, and force spheres.

hammerthrowing2_zpsee0461da.jpg

hammerthrowing_zps922d7e11.jpg

hammercatching3_zps33ca384d.jpg

hammercatching_zps033582ca.jpg

shieldthrowing2_zps5307ee6b.jpg

shieldthrowing_zpsde0c3471.jpg

iceblast2_zpsc484c40e.jpg

iceblast_zps2ea74fc1.jpg

forceballs_zps67eed386.jpg

Each item is available individually for $6.99, or as a set of 5 for $28.99. These exclusive accessories are in stock now at Luke’s Toy Store here. smile.png

A quick note on pricing: 3D printing has proven to be much more expensive and time consuming than I was expecting. Each part needs to be mapped, uploaded, printed, scraped, washed, soaked, trimmed, dried, sprayed with clear coat, and bagged. And that doesn't even take into consideration all of the design time, testing, scaling, and file conversions. I still enjoy it, and have a ton of awesome stuff in the works, but these are the lowest prices I can offer on these. Sometime I will post the full process as a Minimate Factory update. It has definitely been a learning experience!

Each part needs to be mapped, uploaded, printed, scraped, washed, soaked, trimmed, dried, sprayed with clear coat, and bagged. And that doesn't even take into consideration all of the design time, testing, scaling, and file conversions.

Man, I don't know how it's worth your time Luke. Sounds like it's basically charity on your part to sell them at these prices!

I have had several requests to print these in different colors, especially the ice blast. I can only print in clear resin, but I have uploaded these models to Shapeways, where you can order them in multiple colors and materials. I also get a small cut if you order from there. You can find my Shapeways store here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/minimates

• 1 month later...

My 3D printer has been broken down for the past month or so. I finally have some replacement parts coming next week. Luckily I had printed a lot of the 3D accessories beforehand, so I have still been able to fulfill orders. So I am hoping to be back up and running in 2 weeks, and starting to test some items in gray. I have a big list of things to try, but the first test will be some dumbbells and barbells. Also in about a month I will be getting some pink resin. The printing company is also working on black and silver resins. I am hoping to have a full rainbow of colors eventually.

You guys wouldn't mind paint-your-own accessories like a submarine sandwich, right? I could certainly print items like that, I just never would have the time to paint them.

YES. A million times YES.

Also, do you still have any Ice Sleds laying about? I have misplaced mine and it's an unforgivable sin that I'd like to rectify.

• 1 month later...