UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My 3D Printer has arrived, and my first prints are for Minimates of course!

Whoa, I didn't realize FormLabs was shipping already. I remember hearing about their Kickstarter campaign, but I thought it was going to be a while before they would be shipping units. (Of course my only real Kickstarter experience involves a long delayed "Agent" production, so probably not the best basis of comparison. smile.png)

I love the resolution of stereolithography. No sanding needed is a huge plus. I can't wait to see where you go with this.

It seems like I'm always plugging Blender, but it's great for mechanical modeling. It has a bit of a learning curve, but that's true of any 3D program in my experience.

They have shipped about 150 units so far, so they still have a ways to go before they fulfill all of their kickstarter rewards, but I was one of the first to pledge. Prior to that I was extremely close to buying a FDM type of 3D printer from a local manufacturer. It would have been cheaper, but the resolution was not nearly as good. Something like that chainsaw would not have been possible.

I am going to make some changes to how I print my sledgehammer, crowbar, pipe, and baseball bat and try again tonight. :)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's seems strange to me that the chainsaw was easier to make then the other items you listed. The chainsaw is awesome though, it looks like an ice sculpture.

I suspect Luke is having to experiment with axis of rotation. Do you print the sledgehammer laying flat, or with its head down and the handle up in the air? Maybe put the whole thing at an angle?

I don't know the answers, it will be interesting to hear what he discovers. It's all about how the machine combines those many layers.

it would be sweet to get a clear green plastic then you can make a bunch of stuff for Green Lantern.

Edited by kaipo

Posted this on Facebook, but: that chainsaw needs a Minimate arm-sized hole in the back of it...

*cough*Ash*cough*

So how'd the retry on the crowbar, etc turn out? The online reviews of the Form One sound like there are a few recurring issues with successful prints. Do you attribute it to a learning curve, or an issue with the printer/software?

Also, have you painted any of your prints? I'd be curious to see how well it takes paint, as well as how smooth the final product looks. I' assuming a lot of the lines I see on the prints are internal and not all on the surface. The resolution still looks gorgeous though.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the beer mugs turn up in your store :) Maybe some bottles to accompany them! 70's Tony Stark drinks straight fro the bottle :)

Love the chainsaw & the beer steins. They look great.

I know some of the members here have had a go at dying clear minimates - have you tried dying any of the parts you've created yet?

it would be sweet to get a clear green plastic then you can make a bunch of stuff for Green Lantern.

Or even clear blue plastic so blue tinted Iceman can get some stuff too.

Love the chainsaw & the beer steins. They look great.

I know some of the members here have had a go at dying clear minimates - have you tried dying any of the parts you've created yet?

I don't know which dye to use. I have heard that the Rit Dye currently in stores no longer works on plastic.

So how'd the retry on the crowbar, etc turn out? The online reviews of the Form One sound like there are a few recurring issues with successful prints. Do you attribute it to a learning curve, or an issue with the printer/software?

Also, have you painted any of your prints? I'd be curious to see how well it takes paint, as well as how smooth the final product looks. I' assuming a lot of the lines I see on the prints are internal and not all on the surface. The resolution still looks gorgeous though.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the beer mugs turn up in your store smile.png Maybe some bottles to accompany them! 70's Tony Stark drinks straight fro the bottle smile.png

The webbed up Shocker on Page 1 is a painted piece. :)

I realized I had the weapons sized wrong - I am trying again tonight.

I suspect Luke is having to experiment with axis of rotation. Do you print the sledgehammer laying flat, or with its head down and the handle up in the air? Maybe put the whole thing at an angle?

I don't know the answers, it will be interesting to hear what he discovers. It's all about how the machine combines those many layers.

I tried the weapons both on their sides and vertical. I have not tried them at an angle yet. But I think resizing them will help. I am trying to avoid the little bumps from the support structures as much as possible.

the work you do is just above and beyond. I have always dreamed of the moment one could "print" anything their hearts desired at home. Now only if someone were to print a large scale minimate body?????????????????? Giant Man anyone?

the work you do is just above and beyond. I have always dreamed of the moment one could "print" anything their hearts desired at home. Now only if someone were to print a large scale minimate body?????????????????? Giant Man anyone?

Jaegers & Kaiju please!

This one isn't for Minimates, but I wanted to test the geometry. I used a lower resolution for this one - each layer is 0.5mm tall instead of 0.25mm tall. This dropped the printing time from 6 hours down to 3 hours. This cup is about 2" tall.

100_4750_zpscde4f888.jpg