UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My 3D Printer has arrived, and my first prints are for Minimates of course!

My Form 1 3D Printer arrived this week, and I have been having a blast playing around with it. Initially it only comes with clear resin, but gray should be finished soon, and then the company will start releasing other colors. The first thing I printed was a set of repulsor stands for Iron Man:

100_4426_zps382f77fd.jpg

100_4429_zps81d07ede.jpg

100_4433_zps8bdf7f13.jpg

They took over 6 hours to print, but I am really happy with how they turned out. The print time is longer than I was expecting across the board, but the quality is worth it. Next I made a little firework for Dazzler:

3d05_zps78214ef8.jpg

I wanted to see how printed items looked when painted, so I made a webbed-up Minimate base with a head peg, and I painted it gray:

3d04_zps709145bb.jpg

The head snapped into place perfectly. This item was modeled in Sculptris, which is a free digital sculpting software that I highly recommend. Finally, I wanted to try something tiny, so I made 20 Minimate-size wine glasses. Out of the 20 prints, 2 of them failed, but the rest came out great.

3d02_zpsf600b3cd.jpg

3d01_zpsc57f3cc7.jpg

3d03_zpsd9f8628f.jpg

I will keep posting other experiments as I finish them. smile.png

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once color arrives I can picture some awesome flame effects.

Does the clear material work to make various ice stuff for Iceman to use? Ice sleds, ice blasts, ice weapons...

Wow. Amazing stuff! If it doesn't reveal any trade secrets, is it easier/cheaper to do all printing here, or to print one of an item and then mold/cast it through traditional methods?

Bravo! Did the final prints come out that smoothe, or was there a lot of sanding involved?

There was zero sanding. Some of the pieces had to be printed with support material, which leaves tiny nubs on the final product that I cut off with a hobby knife. But otherwise these items are directly out of the printer. If anyone is curious about the whole process from start to finish, check out the video here.

Once color arrives I can picture some awesome flame effects.

Does the clear material work to make various ice stuff for Iceman to use? Ice sleds, ice blasts, ice weapons...

I already have an ice blast in the works. smile.png

Bravo! Did the final prints come out that smoothe, or was there a lot of sanding involved?

There was zero sanding. Some of the pieces had to be printed with support material, which leaves tiny nubs on the final product that I cut off with a hobby knife. But otherwise these items are directly out of the printer. If anyone is curious about the whole process from start to finish, check out the video here.

>Once color arrives I can picture some awesome flame effects.

Sweet. Can't wait to see them. Iceman needs some stuff to show off his powers with.

>Once color arrives I can picture some awesome flame effects.

too awesome,

i dont want to do too much wishlisting but iron man armor bays and giant defeated sentinel parts would be too awesome for words

Very much looking forward to more Iceman stuff! Any chance we could get some tinted blue?

Luke, may I suggest developing kits to create a certain character? Making, say, Judge Dredd's helmet and eagle shoulder, or a Hellboy head? I know you're wary about getting into any kind of copyright trouble, but I think if you clearly label them as fan art you should be fine. Shapeways hasn't seem to run into any kind of problems with the things they sell. Anyway, I know that's what I'd most like to see.

These things are awesome! I'd gladly buy a ton when they are released. Also, releasing some hard to do stuff in order to make other figs would be a good choice. For example a white batman cowl would be awesome! It's quite difficult to sculpt and i don't thing batman is the only character with pointy ears. Or some new capes in different colors. Others blowing from the wind, or a batman style cape. These things would be quite interesting.