UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

LEGO goes Back to the Future

MisterPL

Huh. Surprised they don't try to milk this a bit more--allowing you to only do a single version of the DeLorean with the parts included. This is one of those things that I can see myself buying but never opening. I'm a huge BTTF fan and own lots of collectibles from the films, but have no real interest in displaying LEGOs.

I don't consider that "official". It says "designed by users of 'Cuusoo'."

There's no windshield. That piece has been, like, a mainstay of Lego sets since I was a kid. I don't accept that an official Lego product of a car wouldn't have a windshield. And that "hood" is awful. They do make slanted pieces, guys. There's no reason for it to be layered with flat pieces.

And $50? For a car and two figures? The Avengers "Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape" set had an SUV and 3 figures for $20. And the SUV actually looked like a vehicle, unlike this "DeLorean".

Like gambitron said, you'd think it would look better. A real Lego set would not only have a windshield (and not that weird frame for it made out of hinged pieces), but would also have the unique DeLorean doors. This thing doesn't even look like the figures could fit inside it (or, if there is room, you'd have to build them inside of it, or remove the roof to put them in).

There's no way this is "officially licensed". No way. It's some "special" release or something (especially at that price). Heck, a real Lego set would be available everywhere - Target, Wal-Mart, Toys'R'Us, Meijer, etc.

Pass. Major pass. Ugh.

Give me a real one, please.

Edited by TENIME_art

What do you mean by "real" LEGO, Tenime? This seems like a legit LEGO release based on what I've read. As for price, it probably has something to do with the license and production run if accurate. The Marvel license has been obtained, and something released at mass retailers is going to be produced out the wazoo. This would probably be the only release with this license if the 3 in 1 cars thing is right, and presumably produced in relatively small quantities.

It's official Lego: http://lego.cuusoo.com/

Fans submit designs/models, there is a community voting period, and at the end of that period Lego reviews the projects with over 10000 votes. Lego determines if the project can be made as an official set. Sometimes licensing is prohibitive, or the model goes against Lego values. In any case, if the project is viable, Lego master builders take inspiration from the user model and make the "official" model. They do, after all, have to meet a certain price point and obtain licensing rights (hence calling it a "time machine" rather than a DeLorean).

That said, I think Lego did a very...unattactive...set design here. Though, the frame only windshield is a Lego company design technique used in many other official Lego models. Including the Ferrari and Lamborghini.

It's fan-designed.

Just because it's released by Lego, doesn't make it "real" to me, since Lego designers didn't design it.

Which is unfortunately painfully obvious (not that fans haven't done just as good, if not better, models than Lego themselves...just not this time).

• 4 weeks later...

It's fan-designed.

Just because it's released by Lego, doesn't make it "real" to me, since Lego designers didn't design it.

Which is unfortunately painfully obvious (not that fans haven't done just as good, if not better, models than Lego themselves...just not this time).

Lego designers actually did re-design it. While the majority of the build is the fan design, they do modify it.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, I hardly ever keep lego sets exactly as lego designed them. I've also been inspired by fan designs.

As a huge Back To The Future fan, I was extremely interested in the set when it was announced that lego will pick it up. Now that I see it.... Extremely disappointing. The minifigs look awesome but the "time machine" looks like a sad attempt at throwing a lot of pieces together to make enough pieces for a $40 set. The "updated" set looks like mess and it's sad to say I think the original designers made it look better with it being a lot more clean. Although I LOVE the idea of Cuusoo; the products they release from it are just disappointing {Minecraft and this}

Heck, this custom set is leaps and bounds better then the official one in my opinion: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Okay/Movies/BTTF/lego_bttf.jpg

• 6 months later...