UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thief of Thieves

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never even heard of the book, been out of comics a while. But I may try a digital #1 just to see what it's all about since it rates getting a minimate set. I'll buy it, even if it's just as zombie survivors.

Sorry Zach. I don't mean to show my lack of confidence, and I wish you the best with these. I'll likely get one for customs anyway.

But even The Walking Dead don't get survivor 2-packs. They pair them up with zombies, so even if you don't know who the characters are, you get a toyetic design with it. And even then we had around 100 issues before we even got Minimates. I'll try to check out this book some time, but currently these characters have no resonance with me. We don't even get pure civilian versions of Steve Rogers, but these civilians are supposed to sell well I guess. This seems more like a vanity project to please Robert Kirkman more than anything. Please don't take this personally Zach, but if I were an investor, I'd be very nervous about this product. I'm not an Invincible fan, but at least those designs look like fun toys.

And a wise DST rep pointed out in another thread that fans of a property aren't necessarily Minimate collectors.

I'd just hate to see my LCS sit on these when the space could go to other sets that might have better sales. I do sincerely wish you the best with these sales.

I hate Big Bang Theory with a passion, but I'd still buy Minimates. I love this style of figures so much, any new ones are more than welcome, and I'm sad whenever we see plans, but no product.

I do have to wonder if she's wearing anything under that coat...

Okay, hands up. Who won the pool of how long it would take before I went there?

I didn't think you'd last that long. Thanks a lot. <_< *begrudgingly pays k80*

I'm a big Robert Kirkman fan and read Thief of Thieves.

I buy TWD Minimates by the bucket load and planning the same for the Invincible set, but on the fence about these.

I just wanted to say that I understand the reason these are being offered by DST.

I don't want to speak for Zach or DST, but from what I've understood in the past, DST only purchase a licence if they can produce multiple releases across their range of products to justify the outlay.

Now I guess the deal with Robert Kirkman was for his Skybound properties.

Apart from TWD and Invincible Minimates, we've also seen the coin banks and silicone trays... maybe that is not quite enough to justify licence costs, so they are trying other things.

What is it i'm trying to say...?

Guess just that I understand the reason for this set and fully understand that this is a part of all new licences DST pick up.

I don't mind the occasional 'meh' releases if it brings us new properties.

Also, I believe AMC picked up the TV rights for this which could cause a future spike in interest.

Fuck it... not on the fence anymore, I'll pick these up just to support the DST Skybound line.

Sorry Zach. I don't mean to show my lack of confidence, and I wish you the best with these. I'll likely get one for customs anyway.

But even The Walking Dead don't get survivor 2-packs. They pair them up with zombies, so even if you don't know who the characters are, you get a toyetic design with it. And even then we had around 100 issues before we even got Minimates. I'll try to check out this book some time, but currently these characters have no resonance with me. We don't even get pure civilian versions of Steve Rogers, but these civilians are supposed to sell well I guess. This seems more like a vanity project to please Robert Kirkman more than anything. Please don't take this personally Zach, but if I were an investor, I'd be very nervous about this product. I'm not an Invincible fan, but at least those designs look like fun toys.

And a wise DST rep pointed out in another thread that fans of a property aren't necessarily Minimate collectors.

I'd just hate to see my LCS sit on these when the space could go to other sets that might have better sales. I do sincerely wish you the best with these sales.

We're actually making Walking Dead Survivor two-packs in Series 4!

But I don't think we ever thought people who hadn't read Thief of Thieves would buy the set -- not in large numbers. If non-readers pick it up, great, but we're making it for people who HAVE read the book. It was #129 on Diamond's sales chart in May, which may not sound impressive, but it beat out Spawn, Star Wars Legacy, Dark Avengers, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica, Red She-Hulk and Morbius the Living Vampire. And look how well the Strange Tales set did!

It's a critically acclaimed book from a marquee creator, and there is literally no other merchandise for it, except maybe T-shirts, so we've got that going for us. And if the show gets picked up, that will certainly increase mainstream interest in the title. It may be a gamble for us, but it's a small one with a potentially big payoff. We already have the license, so why not solicit them and see how retailers respond? USA Today just covered the set on their site, so hopefully that will help with orders.

We're actually making Walking Dead Survivor two-packs in Series 4!

But I don't think we ever thought people who hadn't read Thief of Thieves would buy the set -- not in large numbers. If non-readers pick it up, great, but we're making it for people who HAVE read the book. It was #129 on Diamond's sales chart in May, which may not sound impressive, but it beat out Spawn, Star Wars Legacy, Dark Avengers, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica, Red She-Hulk and Morbius the Living Vampire. And look how well the Strange Tales set did!

It's a critically acclaimed book from a marquee creator, and there is literally no other merchandise for it, except maybe T-shirts, so we've got that going for us. And if the show gets picked up, that will certainly increase mainstream interest in the title. It may be a gamble for us, but it's a small one with a potentially big payoff. We already have the license, so why not solicit them and see how retailers respond? USA Today just covered the set on their site, so hopefully that will help with orders.

Spawn has fallen that much? Ouch! Do you think think that there is any chance of getting more Image properties made as minimates? Maybe they see the success of skybound and throw their hat into the ring. I, personally am hoping for Spawn, but is there a chance of it happening? I remember that you had talked with Todd a few years back but as usual he declined to licence anything. Todd has a big ego and the Spawn book isn't even good (i tried reading the last few issues but....) but the designs of the characters are fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

I may be incorrect, but i don't kirkman has written an issue of thief of thieves. I believe it started off as his idea and he helped plot some, but i believe each arc was written by someone other than kirkman.

There are certainly better comic writers, but to say Kirkman is terrible is pretty silly.

To the topic at hand though, i enjoy the series, but not sure how interested I am in the mates. Invincible yea, thief of thieves.. not sure yet. If it takes me to buy some to help this line succeed so we get more Image mates though i'll do it.

Spawn has fallen that much? Ouch!

I'm personally convinced the only reason the comic is still being published is because McFarlane wants to take the record from Dave Sim for longest running independent comic (Cerebus #300). Once he has secured that (Spawn is currently at #232), the only immediate (major) competition is Sonic the Hedgehog (#249), Knights of the Dinner Table (#198), Savage Dragon (#188), Witchblade (#167), FemForce (#163), Usagi Yojimbo (#145), and Walking Dead (#114)...I might be missing a few.

(Not counting traditional Archie comics, Disney Comics, MAD Magazine, Heavy Metal...etc.)

Spawn has fallen that much? Ouch!

I'm personally convinced the only reason the comic is still being published is because McFarlane wants to take the record from Dave Sim for longest running independent comic (Cerebus #300). Once he has secured that (Spawn is currently at #232), the only immediate (major) competition is Sonic the Hedgehog (#249), Knights of the Dinner Table (#198), Savage Dragon (#188), Witchblade (#167), FemForce (#163), Usagi Yojimbo (#145), and Walking Dead (#114)...I might be missing a few.

(Not counting traditional Archie comics, Disney Comics, MAD Magazine, Heavy Metal...etc.)

Yeah, but Dave Sim did that damn thing every month. And it literally drove him crazy. McFarlane started farming the book out before he got out of the teens. But I do agree that it's more stubborness on Todd's part that keeps it going... although it probably helps cover his legal bills.

I could see TWD and Invincible both surpassing that record, though Invincible is more likely (it may be at 104 but i think TWD will end sooner since there isnt as much possible story content...just based on time line, not on like possible arcs and such)

I just saw TP vol 2 of this series come through the library for one of our patrons. It looked nice, but I am not sure I am interested in the comic. I will take the mates though! :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

They need to get the license to do Buffy The Vampire Slayer minimates. The PALZ were OK but I think there is still profit in that license. The action figures fizzled out because of the scale issues and high price but there were alot of clothing variants. Lots of oppurtunity for variants of the main characters, alternate vampire heads, crazy monsters......it has alot of potential.

I still think Spawn could make a comeback if they brought in a writer with real ideas and gave him/her the freedom to do whatever he/she wants.

As for these, I'm definitely buying them.

I hope after Todd gets to issue 250 or 300 (to make the longest running indie comic) someone else will take over or they will reboot the whole series. Personally, I hope they sell him to either DC or Marvel but this is never going to happen.

• 3 months later...