UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thief of Thieves

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the crowd goes....yawn!

It's not even a tested property, and they're mostly boring civvies! I'm still down for a set for customs, but is this really going to sell well??

They should have gone after Archer minimates instead.

This feels like the second coming of 24 mates. And those had name-brand recognition behind them!

I hope we get spawn minimates down the line. I know Todd is a kind of self centered but I hope he licences spawn for some mates. I'd the heck out of that. Hell,I'd buy custom cases of each wave!

Well, if Spawn were owned by Kirkman, it'd be a sure bet. It seems these are being made because DST has a deal with Kirkman's Skybound studio. Yeah, I get that there's a TV series in the works based on these, but it's not even out yet, and even if they come out at the same time, there won't be a built-in fan base at the same time big enough to make this set fly off the shelves. I really wish they would take the time to grow the brand before merchandising it!

And sorry, but I'll pass on any Spawn stuff. I still have a huge distaste from all things Spawn after how it was almost crammed down our throats back in the day! So much money wasted on such inferior products and poorly developed characters! I buy minimates for properties I'm not a fan of based on the strength of their designs (Thundercats!), but my dislike of Spawn is so strong, I would hate myself if I ever bought any Spawn merchandise! (Same for Youngblood!) If we really, really need to revisit the '90's, then gimme some Valiant instead :)

I think this why they are selling as a four pack rather then a whole dedicated wave of figures. Never read it, and I kind of feel like maybe this is about it for characters worth making. But you never know. It could sell out and next thing you know sdcc 2014 will have deadpool variant version of these!

Ohhhh more 24 Minimates!! Hey, wait a minute....

This is...interesting. I wonder if going after books like Walking Dead and Invincible meant DST HAD to go after other Skybound properties. After properties (much more high-profile ones) like Godfather, Beverly Hills Cop, 24, Rocky, etc of all Civilians fell through for lack of interest, i can't imagine how this is a good idea. I've at least heard of all of the examples i listed. I have no idea what Thief of Thieves is, and never will.

I doubt DST was having their arm twisted into making toys; this just seems like more branching out to try and pick up casual buyers at the comic shop. Based on the press writeup, I'd guess the marketing strategy sounds something like:

"Hey, Minimates of Thief of Thieves, from ROBERT KIRKMAN, CREATOR OF THE WALKING DEAD!"

I actually think the Walking Dead comics (the only Kirkman stuff I've read) are very good, compelling stuff, though it may just be the idea driving the effectiveness of the story than anything else. His work was the first time anyone took the logical extension of an ongoing Romero-type zombie story. Easy to take him for granted now that geekdom is so saturated with zombie stuff, but when he started years back it was a lot more novel.

Anyhoo, regarding this set, funny someone else mentioned 24. I saw these and was wondering what use they might be for collectors who weren't fans of the comic, and the best I came up with was a Jack Bauer custom of that guy with the hoodie and jacket. But who would really want to customize more Jack Bauers?

I do not think these 'Mates exemplify Minimate strengths.

Thief of Thieves is an excellent comic book, with great art, great reviews and a sizable readership, and we're happy that Kirkman let us work on some of his other books in addition to Walking Dead. I hope the pilot gets picked up, but a critically acclaimed comic is good enough for me, even if it's only at issue 12.

And I think comic shop owners will have a solid grasp on how well this set will do with their customers, and they'll order appropriately. Godfather and Rocky 3 were unknown quantities, making any comparisons superficial at best. But thanks for the vote of confidence. thumbsup.gif

I hope we get spawn minimates down the line. I know Todd is a kind of self centered but I hope he licences spawn for some mates. I'd the heck out of that. Hell,I'd buy custom cases of each wave!

Well, if Spawn were owned by Kirkman, it'd be a sure bet. It seems these are being made because DST has a deal with Kirkman's Skybound studio. Yeah, I get that there's a TV series in the works based on these, but it's not even out yet, and even if they come out at the same time, there won't be a built-in fan base at the same time big enough to make this set fly off the shelves. I really wish they would take the time to grow the brand before merchandising it!

And sorry, but I'll pass on any Spawn stuff. I still have a huge distaste from all things Spawn after how it was almost crammed down our throats back in the day! So much money wasted on such inferior products and poorly developed characters! I buy minimates for properties I'm not a fan of based on the strength of their designs (Thundercats!), but my dislike of Spawn is so strong, I would hate myself if I ever bought any Spawn merchandise! (Same for Youngblood!) If we really, really need to revisit the '90's, then gimme some Valiant instead smile.png

My notion was that if the Skybound mates are a success more image properties will be turned into mates and eventually spawn. That's next to impossible to happen due to Todd's ego but oh well,a man can dream! I don't like the spawn comic either. I liked it in the 90s but now it's all talk,talk,talk and more talk in dark rooms with dark ink and dark colors. Heck, issue 228 was about a woman committing suicide and that's it. The book is boring now, it's just that the designs are really cool.

As for ToV i like civvie mates so i'll end up buying it. It has some sculpted pieces that could be used for customs as well.

Edited by Kostisfire

I'm just going to come out and say it. I'm sick of Kirkman. He's alright, but not great. But TWD TV show is the worst thing to ever hit pop culture, and it has done nothing but make a mediocre writer more popular and famous.

Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done

Just because we dont have a Black Cat TTA set, thats no reason to say hurtful untrue things :P

I would have bought that Godfather set without hesitations, but. . .I completely get why it didn't get made. Same for Beverly Hills Cop. I'm just glad Desperately Seeking Susan didn't require online pre-orders to get made.