UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2013: Deadpool Box Set.

DaveOMac

I'm with you regarding the appeal of the actual character but we may well be in the minority.

I'm in this minority too. I used to be a Deadpool fan, when he was written as an actual character and not just a string of (unfunny) jokes. "Stupid" comics might be my least favorite type of comic and current Deadpool is a perfect example of that. It's just lowest common denominator humor and it's not funny or smart. I think that humor needs to be balanced with serious aspects, Fabien Nicieza understood this when he wrote the character in Cable/Deadpool. Joe Kelly and Gail Simone did decent stuff too (and Simone could write VERY funny).

It bothers me that comics need to be written down to people to sell. Cable/Deadpool didn't sell, but put Daniel Way on the title and sales almost doble. Makes no sense to me. The exact same thing applies to the new Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll throw my hat into the ring as another member of this minority. Yet, I still felt the set would sell well, just not so well that AFX would come home with no stock. Once this happened, I scrambled to find a set and suddenly they are "releasing additional stock" that was held back. Really? I don't care that it was done this way, but not hinting at it up front seems a bit deceiving and deceit is not a common trait of AFX or DST.

Could it have been considered an AFX exclusive while at Comic Con, as in, they were the only retailer selling it there? As their site still shows it sold out, It sounds like AFX maybe bought a fraction of the run and was given a window of exclusivity around the convention during which to sell it. Then, once the exclusive window was over, it was solicited like any other box set.

I was under the impression that, because the set sold out for AFX at SDCC so quickly, DST had more manufactured to strike while the iron was hot. Not sure how feasible that is without doing so in certain quantities but if they've got Walmart and other retailers on board, another 3,000 units should be an easy number to hit.

But then we start to question the definition of "exclusive". I figure an exclusive is something you can only buy at a certain time, certain place, or from a certain seller. I can handle a retailer selling off excess stock after a show, but creating more seems to go against the idea of exclusivity.

I'm sure there was never any intentional deceit on DST's part.

I suspect that this was a convention exclusive that sold very well.... and DST wanted to capitalise on that success and so released a few more. Perhaps the more 'appropriate' way to re-release it would have been exclusively through AFX again?

Exclusives aren't what they used to be and that's fine with me.

As a collector, I'm always happy to get a second chance at an "exclusive." I've missed some in the past back when there was no other way to get a convention exclusive but to attend the damned thing or get wallet-raped on eBay. If a set like this sold well enough for DST to manufacture more and sell themselves to the specialty market at large, I'm okay with that. Maybe AFX was given a chance to order more but was content with 100% sell through the first time around and they passed.

But I'm sure speculators are particularly peeved knowing that whatever they've been hoarding away for resale is only worth what they paid. At least until this second wave of product has been depleted.

Let's also not confuse "exclusive" with "limited edition." For example, AFX might become the exclusive retailer for Deadpool Minimates boxed sets so they should be able to offer them as long as they want so long as it's profitable. But if a product is advertised as a limited edition (say, 1,500 units) then the run should stop at the advertised limit. A limited edition could be an exclusive but an exclusive doesn't necessarily mean it's a limited edition.

We did not manufacture more, but we did look at what did not get sold at the show and offered the remainder of the run through Previews. AFX often sells their exclusives to other retailers immediately after the show, including Luke, so I really didn't think that anyone would have to pay a premium for the set. Shane, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Edited by DSTZach

I'll ask a straightforward question ......which I'm now unsure of the correct answer ?

Was this an AFX Exclusive ?

I asked for several reasons not least the fact that the packaging does not feature the AFX logo anywhere .

I'm not mocking AFX but it has to be said that their 2012 Con exclusive box-sets might have rocked their boat a tad........... being the exclusive retailer at SDCC for this second Deadpool box-set seems fair when you consider that AFX sponsored the first one .

This set was nowhere near as hard to get ,cheaply, as many sets we've seen but I'm telling you now (hence my monotonous posts)........if you want it ,buy it while it's cheap....that time is now .

I'm still seeing these at $14.99 .

The reason I particularly liked this set is that it doesn't take itself too seriously .

Edited by buttheadsmate

No need to apologize Zach. Having been in this game for quite a while, I have become very familiar with exclusives and limited editions. If you don't get them before they are gone, you are out of luck. I have done my share of waiting in lines and running to booths, just to get that desired collectible. My point is that I am one of those that ran out and paid almost $30 (my own fault) for the set after the "sell out" and now they are suddenly available again at less than retail. I understand that when EXs & LEs don't sell out, they tend to show up in a variety of places (even Big Lots!), but thats not the case here. We were led to believe that the sets sold out (not hard to believe really), yet they hadn't. Its no ones fault and no one needs to apologize, its just not something I would continue to practice in the future. As I stated, I feel I am being trained to wait until things start to get discounted before I make my purchase. I don't actually like seeing Minimates in the clearance bin, even though I will almost certainly buy them.

Who led you to believe the set had sold out? AFX? I did not see that announcement, and I wish I had. If I had known they were sold out of their inventory, I would have let you guys know that there was unsold inventory that would be making its way out there.

In the future, anyone here can feel free to ask me anything, I try to monitor all threads relating to actual products. Or even write in to customer service -- we get plenty of questions about products that were never made, it will be refreshing to get them about actual, real products.

No problem Zach. I know you look out for us. I just got a little sting out of this particular release, but I don't blame anyone. You can make it up to me by sending me all Hulk prototypes. woot.gif

Just out of curiosity, why does DST manufacture so much excess inventory? Is it generally for parts replacement?

No, we get extra parts sent to the home office for most lines.

There are a number of reasons for excess inventory. Sometimes we have to enter production before all orders are in to meet a specific release date, and we over-estimate what we will need. Sometimes we make more intentionally, to keep it in stock for future orders, as we anticipate future demand. Sometimes, the needs or the ability of a customer to take the ordered quantity changes, and there are certain circumstances in which they would be allowed to reduce their order after manufacturing has begun. This is rare, but it has happened. We don't want to punish a customer for circumstances beyond their control. And sometimes the orders for a product simply don't meet the minimum order quantity at the factory, but we've sold enough to pay for the production, so we make it anyway and hope the remainder sells in the long run.

But Deadpool was manufactured at the normal quantity for an exclusive, which is really the smallest run we can do. It's just that not all of them were sold at the show by AFX.

I just purchased this set today at Walmart.com and have it shipped to the store for pick-up.

I likely will never attend SDCC even though I really would like to one day.

I never really saw the attraction to Deadpool and so I was never really after him in a minimate form before.

Now I do have a few and I ordered the Thor-pool, Capt. Ameri-pool and Cable-pool from eBay for not too much dough.

I am really after the parts for more customs and this Deadpool set seems a generic way to go for what I am looking for.

I should be able to pick up my set at Walmart on Friday from what I was told.

Thank you for posting that this set was available at Walmart.com. I do think it is very interesting that they sell minimates via their website but not in their stores.

Have a great day.

• 1 month later...

I have ZERO problem with amount that was made for SDCC Deadpool set. I got one at Comic Con for my girlfriend and was bummed later on I didn't get one for myself, thankfully I found them again on Walmart and a few other places for retail price.

The only people that are probably upset are resellers that were hoping to rape collectors for $80 a set. *wipes nose at them*

Edited by cidman911