UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2013: Deadpool Box Set.

DaveOMac

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, I'm getting it, but I just feel like that's four slots that could have been so much more interesting than part reuse on one character.

Great for all the Deadpool fans in the house. Just really wish that it was a team set like Uncanny Avengers or West Coast Avengers.

Dude, if they made a West Coast Avengers box set, I would scream like a prepubescent girl at a Justin Bieber concert. Hell, I'd probably cry tears of joy.

Hello, new best friend

I mean, I'm getting it, but I just feel like that's four slots that could have been so much more interesting than part reuse on one character.

Great for all the Deadpool fans in the house. Just really wish that it was a team set like Uncanny Avengers or West Coast Avengers.

Dude, if they made a West Coast Avengers box set, I would scream like a prepubescent girl at a Justin Bieber concert. Hell, I'd probably cry tears of joy.

Hello, new best friend

Hello new favorite quote.

There are box sets and there are exclusive box sets. Exclusive box sets require a certain amount of confidence (a large amount, in fact) on the part of the retailer. I don't know if Alpha Flight performed at an acceptable level, but it certainly appeals more to a veteran Minimates collector than a novice. Maybe it might introduce Alpha Flight fans to the line, but Alpha Flight fans aren't exactly a giant customer base. Appealing to fans with small or no collections with sets that target a larger fan base is one way to guarantee better sell-through for the retailer.

And since conventions are basically marketing opportunities, we have to take the opportunity to expose the line to the largest number of people possible. You can call that turning your back on long-time collectors if you like, but I think if you look at our regular releases throughout the year, we always have the collectors in mind. It's not like our exclusives need to be gifts to make up for a year of disappointment. Conventions are also large marketing expenses, so the sales help justify that expense.

We still have a few box sets in the works, and while all are friendly to casual fans (and sales-conscious retailers) -- Thunderbolts, for instance, which we will solicit to retailers in August -- they are also collector-friendly, IMHO. Thunderbolts has some great updates in it, and the set after that will surprise a lot of people. And the TRU fan poll set is very cool-looking indeed. But I think Strange Tales showed that there is still value in doing lesser-known characters -- on the non-exclusive specialty market, anyway. So I wouldn't panic.

Honestly, I would be happy if DST just threw us hardcore collectors a bone every once in awhile, though we get a fair amount more than that. I think it is good business to mix things up a bit, but if I were DST I would also be heavily leaning on stuff that would be accessible to the casual fan. No shame in making smart business decisions.

Edited by karamazov80

Hello, new best friend

woot.gif

Honestly, I'd be okay with DST saying "Screw you guy. We've catered to you for long enough and now we're doing 1,001 Spider-men figures" and I'd be okay. Because they DO cater to us. A LOT. And just cause something doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean everyone here doesn't like it. DST is doing a great job and I look forward to every reveal, regardless if I like it or not.

Honestly, I'd be okay with DST saying "Screw you guy. We've catered to you for long enough and now we're doing 1,001 Spider-men figures" and I'd be okay. Because they DO cater to us. A LOT. And just cause something doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean everyone here doesn't like it. DST is doing a great job and I look forward to every reveal, regardless if I like it or not.

Well said. And, even if this doesn't appeal to all of us, it looks like it will be a surefire bestseller at SDCC. Anything that helps DST also helps us.

Yeah, I hate it when we get extra stuff for free. . .now when that starts happening, you really don't have anything left to complain about. laugh.png

Edited by karamazov80

For display purposes, getting that bonus figure kinda coerces you into getting a second set. I don't mind getting two sets in cases like New Mutants where you can mix parts to get powered-down versions of a couple characters but in a case like this, if you don't have a blank Minimate body to put into tha armor, you're displaying one figure OR the other.

I get it but it doesn't bug me in this circumstance since I'm only displaying comic-based designs and repurposing the armor. Plus after ten years of collecting these things, I've got plenty of spare parts around anyway.

Maybe DST should finally get into the blank Minimate business. We're getting stands sooo... :)

I'm getting two of these and the wolverine set. I'm looking to expand my mm collection so I'll start buying some custom cases (51 is a good example). I'll use the second set as custom fodder and keep both the armor and fifth figure from the first.

For display purposes, getting that bonus figure kinda coerces you into getting a second set. I don't mind getting two sets in cases like New Mutants where you can mix parts to get powered-down versions of a couple characters but in a case like this, if you don't have a blank Minimate body to put into tha armor, you're displaying one figure OR the other.

But the other option is only one option! If the X-Men Deadpool option weren't there, then he simply wouldn't be made. That would be preferable?

I think this set looks like a lot of fun, and my kids think it looks awesome so it has great kid appeal at least from this end. It is fun to have the multiple looks option, and while it can lead to display issues I would rather have that then not at all!

Jeff of the Miniacs

My only issue is you can make an amazing selling boxset without resorting to using the same character 4 times..m again. You can put Deadpool with someone like Gambit, Psylocke, and Cable, and have it sell like nothing, and non of those characters really need new pieces. Just a thought

I like the four packs of the same character in different versions AKA Through the ages sets AND I think some of the characters will easily fill out more than one four pack. This Hulk TTA set has had me excited since I saw the art for it. The Captain America and Venom TTA sets are favorites of mine. We are not all going to agree on the coolness factor of things that get put out, but IMO TTA sets are great. I hear what you are saying, but I wouldn't throw the TTA sets under the bus to get newer versions of other characters.