"Sin City" Minimates

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's 2014, bring on the COLOR!

Sin City 2 hits August 2014. It will be black-and white.

The Walking Dead #115 was the number-one comic book of 2013. It was black-and-white.

"The Artist" won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2012. It was black-and white.

Black-and-white is not an anachronism, it is a stylistic choice. The world of SIn City is in black-and-white, with spots of color.

Yellow Bastard's senator father who threatens Hartigan in his hospital room:

Fhd005SC_Powers_Boothe_002.jpg

And I apparently spelled "Roark" wrong. confused.gif

Hrm. That's interesting.

Just black-and-white.

Should they not be?

Powers Boothe one of Nick Furys bosses on the world security council thing in the Avengers!

It's 2014, bring on the COLOR!

Sin City 2 hits August 2014. It will be black-and white.

The Walking Dead #115 was the number-one comic book of 2013. It was black-and-white.

"The Artist" won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2012. It was black-and white.

Black-and-white is not an anachronism, it is a stylistic choice. The world of SIn City is in black-and-white, with spots of color.

I'm pleased that we're getting Sin City minimates .....I am happy we are getting them despite the fact they will be in B & W .

Whilst the majority of the Walking Dead comics are in B & W ,the majority of their covers are in colour , the variant cover for #115 was in B & W.

'The Artist' was filmed in colour .....not too relevant but hey ho biggrin.png

The packaging for 'Sin City' will all be in B & W but the words 'Sin City' will be in Pantone 032 or thereabouts. Trust me I will be right .

Stylish choices for B & W are always anachronisms because they always rely on the eventual use of colour ,the best example would have been any old tabloid newspaper which was always B & W except for the logo .....always in red ....leastways in my country.

Clicheic .......look at me I'm B & W ,I'm arty farty but...... eventually...... I will need colour ............

Can you remember 'Schindlers List' ? You can't ? I bet you can remember that poor little kid ........in red .

wink.png

Beware the 'greys' ...they walk amongst us .

Obviously, color is more eye-catching. A newspaper that only colors their logo, or a comic that only colors its cover, is doing the minimum needed to sell their product to people, presumably due to cost.

I would never compare Sin City to Schindler's List, but both chose black-and-white NOT due to cost. Miller did it to reference classic noir films, and Spielberg did it to reference actual footage of concentration camps. But both highlight things in color to have them stand out in an intentionally black-and-white world. Sin City uses tons of spot color, and we will reflect that in our sets.

Sin City was filmed in color, just like The Artist, but it was color treated to create a specific effect. I understand people not wanting to buy B&W toy, but do you enjoy Sin City despite it being in B&W? Or because of it?

Edited by DSTZach

Agreed. I can certainly understand some folks obssessing over uniformity in their collections, however if the source material is b/w then anything other would be glaringly incorrect. And as far as modern b/w cinema is concerned, I'm constantly amazed by how many miss the artistic intentions.

Here’s the thing...

Universal Monsters: Black and White because of Film Limitations

Lost In Space: Black and White because of TV limitations

The Munsters: Black and White Because of TV limitations

Clerks: Black and White because it’s all Kevin Smith could afford

Walking Dead: Black and White because it’s cheaper to print

Sin City: Black and White by choice, has splashes of color in it.

So when it comes to color minimates:

Universal Monsters: Has made color films with the characters, has color versions of them walking around their theme parks, has whole slew of products showing them in color: Characters were intended to be in color

Lost In Space: Was releasing colored promotional stills and products when show was on TV: Characters intended to be in color.

The Munsters: Was releasing colored promotional stills and products when show was on TV: Characters intended to be in color.

Clerks: Characters have since appeared in color films, Clerks cartoon was in color, Clerks 2 does a dramatic switch from B&W to color: characters intended to be in color

Walking Dead: Covers in Color, Mega Hit TV show in color: Characters intended to be in color

Sin City: Movie in B&W, Comic’s covers in B&W, Comic designed to be high contrast were B&W negative space create the scene. NECA’s color figures didn’t really sell despite being intended to appeal to those who didn’t like B&W, Splash color used for effect: Character meant to be in B&W with exceptions like Goldie and Yellow Bastard.

Asking for color Sin City minimates so they blend in with other characters is like asking for every future Iron Man to be weird color combos like Purple/Green and Blue/Pink because it’ll look better mixed into your armory than ANOTHER red/yellow. It’s personal taste above accuracy.

I’ve had Mattel’s Dark Knight Returns Batman (formerly DC Direct’s until the new hotness replaced him) figure next to Toy-Biz’s Marv on my shelf for a while now and it’s never bothered me.

edit: coding got weird...

Edited by dr baghead

Agreed. I can certainly understand some folks obssessing over uniformity in their collections, however if the source material is b/w then anything other would be glaringly incorrect. And as far as modern b/w cinema is concerned, I'm constantly amazed by how many miss the artistic intentions.

I'm not aiming my post at you cdubya but the points you make are valid & a great source of reference .

If I were being harsh (.....I'm not in the mood ) I would say more than "we only get uniformity when it suits DST" ....... I could go on but do we really need another 'Sentinel' 'Duck-feet' 'Galactus' 'Stay Puft' discussion ?

I think the crunch (leastways for me) came the other day when I received a case each of the 'Lost in Space' mates (1 colour, 1 B&W) & a case each of the 'Jay & whoever' mates ( 1colour, 1 B & W ) ............let's just say I sealed the 2 B & W cases back up & I find it very unlikely that I'll ever open them up again.

I am not saying that B & W does not have a place in the Minimate world all I'm saying is it should be a small place .

Ask yourselves why these B & W versions always come out first ? Is this an artistic intention ?

I love Drac & Frank in B & W.....those I 'get'.

Sin City I actually 'get' despite what anybody might be thinking .

My point is ......& I'm rapidly tiring of trying to make it.....is that B & W is IMHO perceived by consumers kids & it is kids we are talking about here, see B & W as somehow inferior .

The Spirit 'mates which we got years ago are what I perceive as being the 'best of both worlds' ......they're in colour but oh so close to being B & W...I didn't miss that artistic intention . Me? I love them ....never seen the film never read the comics!!

Just saying !

......didn't warrant it ?

Lost in Space & Jay/Bob .........if I weren't a Minimate completist they wouldn't have a gotten a look in ,why would I want them in black & white when I could have them in colour ?

There are some nice B&W minimates.... Dracula (for example) but colour Dracula is just superb ,I love him, he is a Minimate to be proud of .

I'm not trying to divide & conquer here ,I have no agenda ,just very very interested in this .

Edited by buttheadsmate

My only complaint is that there's no electric chair. I was never a fan of Sin City because it was black & white, but because of the story. I do remember Yellow Bastard looked jarring on screen compared to the comic. I get that everyone has their personal tastes, but why is the argument for and against b&w different between Sin City and TWD? Why does DST argue on behalf of b&w Sin City but not TWD?

My only complaint is that there's no electric chair. I was never a fan of Sin City because it was black & white, but because of the story.

Isn’t Marv popular enough he could anchor TWO sets? Like set two is Prison Marv, Goldie (or Color Wendy if you like!), Electric Chair... and I don’t know, Carla Gugino’s characters who’s name I don’t remember Lucille (thanks two second internet search!)?