UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Next-Gen Discussion (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Ouya, etc)

neolego

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*twitch*

I know you're joking, KA, And I don't have a problem with that, but I get twitchy when people say stuff like that. Because I hear people say stuff like that all the time around here. And they're serious.

And it scares me.

*twitch*

So to actually force people to go digital, to say "It's online or nothing." well, 66% of Americans have no other choice than to pick 'nothing.'

Same with a lot of us Canadians. By a lot I mean the mast majority as we have internet caps here with the major Internet Service Providers so we can only download so much in a month. Checking in online every 24 hours isn't bad at all; but downloading games gets pretty rough. For example take Uncharted 3. It's 44 GB for the GOTY and I only have 120 gb a month. I already would have used 1/3 of my internet cap and that is without web browsing, netflix and youtube. I can only imagine how much gb games like Watch Dogs could use. I would love unlimited but everything is tied down with 3 year contracts with phones and TV which is what most people here use. Also people should take in consideration that most residential houses here only have 60-80 GB meaning that 1 game would almost kill there usage for the rest of the month.

It's not nothing for us Canadians, but it's barely online

I honestly can not believe microsoft caved so badly. just because a bunch of people went nuts over something that wasn't even out and without actually understanding why they were even really angry.

Geo, I don't know what you were reading but it sounded to me like people were very aware and specific as to why they were angry. Myself included.

Microsoft is now, and to me will forever be, "the girl who cheated and got caught" - MS is only expressing it's apologies because that's what they think we want to hear, NOT because it's what they mean or believe. And since they "turned off" the DRM with a switch, they can easily turn it on again in the future with any software update. All they have to do, in THEIR minds, is get a large enough installed user-base, "win" the next console war, then they can go right back to what they wanted to do all along with just a software update. Nope, I'm not taking that chance, and I really question anyone who can't see this as a possibility.

But the biggest problem to me, which has NOT been changed, is the constantly-connected Kinnect 2.0. I'm not accepting a spycam in my home that has the ability to register whether I'm paying attention to their ads by tracking my eye movements. You think the current "skip this ad after X seconds" is annoying, wait until they decide you can't skip until Kinnect registers that you've focused on their ad for X seconds - no going to the kitchen while it plays, etc. And a camera that can track how many people you have in the room, and decide that you're "exhibiting" a movie or game and refuses to play! Holidays with the family over could potentially brick your system or require you to pay more money to watch a movie with more than 2-4 people in the room!

This is where the industry is trying to force us to go. Giving up actual ownership of your media is only the beginning.

How many Star Wars fans own the legal versions of the Ewok movies or Droids cartoons that have been removed from the market? What if someone decided they didn't want an older movie to be playable anymore? What happens when Disney wants to place it's movies back in their Vault again, do you lose access to your cloud-based purchase, because you never truly "owned" it?

Does anyone remember Circuit City's DIVX DVD program where you paid for every time you watched a DVD??

Do you guys know what's actually going on currently in Hollywood, where the studios and producers are freaking out at the loss of revenue because people aren't buying DVDs in the same numbers as before because of streaming and Amazon rentals? Microsoft's system is paving the way for another DIVX-style program, and Hollywood is drooling over it! Why do you think the first MS press conference for the XBone was so heavily focused on TV?

Do you really want to wind up paying every single time you watch something?? Do you want to be charged micro-transactions for each replay of a show or movie, and for how many people are present in the room with you? This is precisely what Hollywood believes your future SHOULD be.

It is NOT a simple matter of video games. It goes far, far deeper than that. And people are willingly giving up just to play the newest games. And it's not a matter of being "dull" or having "nothing to hide". It's all about advertising, revenue, and making sure that everyone is paying their fees.

MC, your comments are terrifying and mirror my thoughts exactly.

Thanks. I'd *love* to be wrong. Sincerely. But things keep heading in a direction I refuse to follow.

I recently got a tablet for school. I love this thing. But every game has microtransactions. And they require "special permissions" to be installed, and you can't pick and choose what you will or won't allow. They do not need access to my contacts, my data, etc. I do not need my games to beep and alert me while I'm studying to tell me that my "village is under attack" and other such nonsense. And my wife and I liked Candy Crush, but clicking an icon immediately takes you to purchase items. There are no instructions, no clicking to see what a button is for. It's designed to trick you into making microtransactions, which is why we have the stories of parents whose children rack up such huge fees in these types of games. As a seasoned, adult gamer, I see how easy it is to inadvertantly make a few microtransactions here and there. Because they feel most people won't complain to get a dollar or two refunded, most people will just "suck it up", and said business practices continue.

I won't tie in my credit card to my tablet for this reason. But everything is working it's way to make it "easier" for you to pay to play. No, Amazon, I don't want to enable one-click purchasing, I wan to think my order over before I commit to buy! No, Sony/MS, I don't want auto-renewal on your services, I want to decide if I want to renew, not fight you for a refund!

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I think both sides are grasping at straws at this point. Much ado about nothing since we won't really know until both are released. I'd probably go with PS4 if there were more games announced that I'd actually play. The last thing I want to be is like a few of my friends. They primarily use their PS3's as BD players. I just picked up a Sony BD player at Costco and just love the shit out of it. So user friendly and easy to use.

• 4 months later...

guessing im alone on this tongue.png

for Now... I'm waiting until there is a must play exclusive before buying one of the new-gen consoles.

Besides I still haven't finished GTA5 and have a backlog of other games patiently waiting their turn.

T.