UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Next-Gen Discussion (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Ouya, etc)

neolego

Someone on another forum pointed out that Microsoft is just doing what Sony will eventually do itself, because of pressure from developers. And the stuff Lego is talking about with companies forcing us to be nickle and dimed, it's gonna happen. Just a matter of time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Mattrick is totally clueless. Even if this is the direction things are going (and I mostly disagree about that BTW), you never tell people not to buy your product. That is business 101. Total failure...

What really indicates to me that Microsoft screwed the pooch is the poll on Sideshow Freaks. SSF isn't a gaming-related forum, but much of the demographic is exactly who Sony and Microsoft are targeting as their consumers. Sure, these results are going to have both Sony and XBox Fanboys, but that percentage on a non-gaming related website says volumes.

XBoneXPS4.jpg

In an interesting turn of events it turns out Microsoft got their shit together and removed always online and the used game policies, pretty much staying the same as PS4 now. The price point is still $500 though. For sources just go on IGN

Yeah, still has always on kinect and the $100 extra means I'll prob still go PS4 next gen.

I don't know if I should praise Microsoft or laugh at them for having the balls to come out and say "yeah, we got that horribly wrong".
Either way it's not very confidence inspiring.

Given the reviews 'the last of us' is getting my next console purchase might be to finally bite that bullet and get a PS3 to go with my 360.

T.

I honestly can not believe microsoft caved so badly. The One could have been a really great thing. Yeah there were a few issues, but honestly, I don't care. I just can't stand that they gave up on everything, just because a bunch of people went nuts over something that wasn't even out and without actually understanding why they were even really angry. I pre-ordered an Xbox One when I could and I'm still going to get it but at this point I don't know why. It's just a 360 with a tune up at this point. That's great. Yeah I'm in the minority here, but I don't care. The Xbox One could have been the first step towards an actual future of innovation in gaming, not the tacked on bullshit gimmicks we've been getting, but now? Well, it doesn't matter anymore, does it?

And for the record, the easiest solution to the online check in thing is that if you want to play offline, all you need is to put the disc in the tray. Then the check in is moot and people who can do it or want to are all set, and people who can't are good too.

I apologize for the angry rant. It's nothing against anyone here, people have just been shoving this thing at me since yesterday and I've had enough of it, so I decided to throw my opinions out somewhere with a higher median IQ and conversational skills than most of the people who seem to want to talk to me about it.

Edited by The Geohound

I honestly can not believe microsoft caved so badly. The One could have been a really great thing.

Although I've been in the Sony boat since the PS4 reveal; I could agree with this. After Microsoft's conference, I realized that the used game policies are inevitable as the 3rd party developers will force it down Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's throats. I wouldn't be surprised if the DRM and Used game policies slowly roll out of the Xbone as it is only a patch keeping the policies off; which can be easily removed. My guess is Microsoft will slowly release patches part by part so they won't receive major backlash and will have consoles sold; If this doesn't happen then I definitely expect it in the next generation. With the removal of these features they removed the 10 family member share which seemed really awesome and I could see Xbone fans being mad over that.

No one is going to take Microsoft seriously after this either. I think that's the absolute biggest problem they're going to fast in the future. They had an idea and created it from just about nothing, but then it was improperly and in adequately explained to the masses and since no one really knew what they were being told, they got mad, so Microsoft just gave up on their vision. Totally turned the other way, so now who would partner with them at all? What real integrity do they have left? They gave up once because of bitching and wailing, they'll give up again.

I am mad about the family share thing being gone. I'm absolutely livid about the fact that I can't just have all my games sitting on my console and be able to play whatever I want to whenever I want to without any effort, which is part what the online check in did. I know it's a lazy thing to be mad about, but I've wanted that feature since the 360 started letting you install games. My thought was always just package a single use code with each game, so that you can install the game and not need the disc to play it. It just urks me.

Edited by The Geohound

I think some change was necessary due to the public backlash, but I can also see some losing confidence with this response. I would still lean toward the PS4, if for nothing else because I've gotten a lot more mileage out of my PS3 than my 360. But we'll see how it all plays out.

Edited by karamazov80

And for the record, the easiest solution to the online check in thing is that if you want to play offline, all you need is to put the disc in the tray. Then the check in is moot and people who can do it or want to are all set, and people who can't are good too.

This is probably the best idea I've heard, it's a simple works for everyone middle ground.

T.

I haven't really said much because I'm still processing most of what has went down this week.

I will say that Microsoft has really handled this very poorly. From the beginning really. They needed to explain, in detail, all of the benefit of being always connect. How the power of the cloud "was" going to truly define the future of gaming. How game sharing "was" going to revolutionize sharing games. There was so much great potential, but it was never outlined. However, Geohound is spot on. Online Only should have never been an option. From day one, they should have said, DISC Based games won't change! They could keep everything else, 24 hour connect, DRM, etc with the digital content and no one would have batted an eye. I have been an all digital consumer for 2 years now. I don't own 1 single Xbox 360 disc, but I have a HDD filled with roughly 104 downloadable titles, at least 40 of those are full, retail, Games on Demand. I don't care that I can't trade them, I don't care that I can't share them, and I had to be online to purchase them. So, for me, nothing Microsoft said changed my opinion, I'm always online now! But by cutting out the retail consumer, they shot themselves in the foot.

So, after Sony came out and said what they said, and they released the console for $100 less, as much as I hate MS for doing it, they had to make the move. BUT, once again, I'm dumbfounded by the way they are handling this. They should have come out and said they are keeping everything on LIVE the same (DRM, Always On, Shared Library, ETC), HOWEVER, they are going to change the rules for disc based games/purchases. Nope, instead what they said was that EVERYTHING they built their presentations around, and let the public stew over for a month has now been thrown out and your Xbox One is now basically an updated 360. It's just such a kneejerk reaction, and I expect more from a company like MS.

In the end, I have both an XONE and PS4 pre-ordered and I will get both systems. I just have to say that I've lost so much respect and excited for the XONE because of this week. The PS4 was doing exactly what the PS3 was doing.....only better. And that's fine, I want to play InFamous. But the Xbox One set out to do something completely new and original. It was innovative. The idea of processing games with the power of the cloud has the long term potential to set the gaming world on fire. However, now that they have changed course and aren't "requiring it" then you will find games use it less and less. So, Next-Gen is going to end up being much like this Gen, you will buy a game on your platform of choice and they will be EXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCES on both. It's time for Innovation people. I choose Innovation everytime.

Ok, I think I'm done for now. I have plenty more to say, but like I mentioned I'm still getting my thoughts together about all of this.

It's time for Innovation people. I choose Innovation everytime.

Then you must be a huge fan of the Virtual Boy biggrin.png

Innovation is great when the pros outweigh the cons vis-a-vis the status quo. I'm not sure if this was gonna do it, at least not now. I don't know that everyone is ready for what Microsoft was trying to do.

I have this argument with my friend a lot. He think it should be a mandated law that everyone should have to upgrade their internet connections every 6 months. Because "We're the #1 country, yet South Korea has better internet than us." Which is stupid. Not everyone has the internet. Not everyone has a computer, or good DSL speed. I know mine sucks. So to actually force people to go digital, to say "It's online or nothing." well, 66% of Americans have no other choice than to pick 'nothing.'

It's like my militant secularist writing buddy once told me. "So help me I will drag this country into the Utopian future if it kills them." I'm sorry, but that's wrong, no matter if we're talking about ethics or technology. Your perceived level of technology may differ vastly from mine (it probably doesn't) Should you have the choice? Yes. But you shouldn't say "This is the way it is, get used to it."