UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Next-Gen Discussion (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Ouya, etc)

neolego

This is evidence of perception and nothing more. Microsoft appealed to a wide audience at their reveal, Sony appealed to the Gamer. Next week, Microsoft is going to BLOW Sony out of the water with games, including the new exclusive from Respawn Titanfall. Whereas, Sony will have to share these same non gamer features during it's E3 spotlight. And the tables will once again be even. Microsoft is a smart company, they are not the company that has been losing money for the last 5 years straight (looking at Sony). MS knows what they are doing. They appeal to the casual market to sell the surplus of their consoles, and then even if they lose some hardcore gamers to Sony, they will still be more profitable in the long run. This is a business, and MS knows how to play the game.

Also, MS is being very clear that they are not only supporting, but still PROMOTING the 360. With games like Fable Anniversary and Splinter Cell and GTA V due this holiday. If you are not ready to embrace the digital future, you can still play amazing games, at a great price, with no internet connected needed on a 360.

What's funny is that, in a year's time, this will not even be a topic to discuss. Steam has been doing this for years. This is really just something home console folks are going to learn to live with...and in the long run, will actually be best for both the gamer and developer!

Also, sorry to double post, but they just announced the Lococyle will release on Xbox 360 XBLA, but will also be available day one on the Xbox One. This game is looking great. I love Twisted Pixel, so this will be a day one purchase for me!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/07/lococycle-is-an-xbox-one-launch-title?abthid=51b20d2cc807433f44000006

Oh I am very aware of that. The stock options were nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction. I still find them interesting. Sony is struggling. Nothing they've shown at this point will change that. If MS doesn't care for DRM, they should just keep the 360 going for another 2 years. Let the XB1 prove that Next Gen isn't that great, and we don't like being told what to do. At their core, most people are Libertarians. tongue.png

and Steam Box FTW!

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting to see what sony has in store as well, i'll not blindly follow sony but i'm leaning towards it at the moment. If they do something similar though, i'll buy a gaming desktop and be done with it. There is no way that i'll pay for online gaming. I bought a gaming laptop to play mmos and i really liked the interface so if sony follows suit, then pc here i come! I used steam a bit but in order to make room for my tv series i deleted every game from my laptop.

I don't get it. I mean, remember how awful PS3 was? And it never recovered. This is like some mirror mirror universe where Firefly still exists. Except not, because it's the crappy real one where my dog is dead and my favorite system just his its testicles lobotomized.

All this Xbone/PS4 stuff is all well and good...

but why has no one mentioned MegaMan is confirmed for the new Smash Brothers? That seems like pretty big news.

Also, I was already all about the PS4 (although I’ll probably wait until a new GoW or Arkham is about to be released before I buy one since why rush?) but it’s GOT ODDWORLD!!! (I love Oddworld’s games, so since XBone isn’t getting them, I’ve officially no reason to even consider buying one.)

I want to get a new Nintendo system just to play as Megaman in that one game.

And the no offline access/no used game thing sucks. I'm sure MS did feel a lot of pressure to do that, but. . .so far Sony isn't caving while MS is, and that is a huge factor for me. Like Dino, I'm not a guy who needs all the fancy, new stuff, so I'll probably wait awhile for a price drop or two before getting one of these systems. But it will most likely be the PS4.

Seriously, combine the threads. tongue.png

I'll give it three years at minimum before I invest in a new system. Honestly I hope MS keeps the 360 going much like Sony kept the PS2 going for over a decade. Maybe not that long, but someone there has to be smart enough to keep their vein of income flowing.

OK, I am not a gamer but more of a casual player who typically does not buy a game, much less a system, until it has been out for a while. Are you guys telling me that Microsoft has not only introduced programming that distinguishes a new purchase game from a used purchase game, but it may not let you play that "previously owned" game you paid your money for? Are you kidding me?

OK, I am not a gamer but more of a casual player who typically does not buy a game, much less a system, until it has been out for a while. Are you guys telling me that Microsoft has not only introduced programming that distinguishes a new purchase game from a used purchase game, but it may not let you play that "previously owned" game you paid your money for? Are you kidding me?

Sort of, it's DRM, so basically you are "licencing a product"....even if it's retail. It works like this. You buy Halo 5 and take it home. The XONE forces you to install that game to your harddrive and then gives you a license to play it. Anyone, on your console can play that game at any time, whether you are logged in or not. Also, you can go to a friends house, log in, and they can download and play that game as well as long as you are logged in.

Where it gets spicy is what happens next.

IF you want to trade in the game at GameStop, you can. However, the person that buys your used game, when they take it home and install it, LIVE will inform them they need to purchase a license to play the game (no mention of how much that would cost, but the loose talk is basically the full price of the game). On the flip side, if YOU buy the game and bring it home. Same thing, you install it, but in order to play the game you will have to purchase a license for it.

Hang on, it doesn't stop there.

Lets say you don't trade it to GameStop, but since we are such good friends you want to give me your copy of Halo 5. There are rules. First, me and you would have to have been LIVE friends for at least 30 days. If not, we will have to be friends and then wait 30 days before you can give it to me. Now, once we have been friend for 30 days, you can give me the disc and then you will have to go on your console and "Trade" the license to me so that the game is now mine. Now, let's say that I beat it and wanted to give it to Donbo, I can't, because each game is limited to only ONE trade! So, I could give him the disc, but the license is locked with me, so if he wanted to play the game it would be much like getting a used game and he would have to purchase a license to play it.

Now, that may sound really negative and the problem is......IT IS NEGATIVE! If Microsoft really wanted to start down this road, they should have went all digital. Sure, they would have lost some of their install base (which they are doing already), but at least they would embrace the future fully and this wouldn't be a discussion. You can trade in your digital content now, and the console has to be online every 24 hours, so why not just go all in rather than straddle the fence. Why everyone is up in arms is because people can still buy a PHYSICAL product. As long as people pay $60 and have a Blu Ray in their hands, they own something and they should have the right to do with that whatever they want. It seems to me that Microsoft wants to be All Digital and rather than jump in the deep end, they are trying to "train" gamers to adapt and it's blowing up in their faces.

Know this, Digital Games......Digital everything is the future. It happened with CDs. We are now seeing it with DVDs/BluRays. Shoot, I have bought a physical comic book in 2 years. Eventually everything will be like Steam and there will be no more physical media. At that time, what Microsoft is doing now will be common place. The sad part of this story is Nintendo and Sony are still in the present while Microsoft has book a one way trip on a Deloreon from hell. I'm sure the Xbox One will sell, I am just not sure what the legs on this machine are going to be.

But wait, there's more!

There's the ALWAYS connected Kinnect which MUST remain connected for the XBone to even function. This is a very high tech camera that watches your pupil response and heart rate (as well as everyone else in the room. Sure, they claim you can turn it off by software, but tell me it's not still functioning in some manner - I wasn't born yesterday!

So, we have an always-connected high tech camera in front of you. Why?? Well, for one, it will track whether or not you're paying attention to commercials. It will track whomever is in the room as well, so they're collecting demographic data. And what if you have one too many friends or family over to watch something? Might the system decide you're now "exhibiting" a movie and decide you can't play some movies when the camera detects too many people in the room? And the required once/24hr connectionis so the marketer can obtain that sweet, sweet data! This is going to gain Microsoft a TON of money! Advertisers are dying for this kind of data, and studios as well - it's far more advanced than Nielsen ratings!

Games - you no longer OWN them, they are now a "service". How long before the same happens with movies too? And what happens to your old games when XBone is no longer sold, years from now? You won't even be able to play them! And legally they can stop providing the "service" whenever they decide because you don't technically own your games! And as for the game resellers, they have to be "participating retailers", so forget selling on ebay, at the flea market, or any way you decide to resell.

Honestly, the invasion of privacy with the Kinnect camera is a HUGE dealbreaker for me! It is simply unacceptable. If that didn't exist, I might have considered one day owning a XBone. I'm not going to give up my privacy in such an invasive manner to be any advertiser's guinnea pig! Things are bad enough as it is, when you click "like" or rate some things, you get tons of targeted ads. I don't want to be advertised to any more, I'm very much sick of it. How do you adblock a camera that watches to see if you're paying attention or not? How much more spam, junkmail, or targeted ads do we need? Also, Microsoft has specifically mentioned awarding "Achievements" for watching some advertisements. F that, I'm not paying to be advertised to constantly!

I'm excited to finally get Star Wars Battlefront 3. IF it were an XBone exclusive (which I'm 99% sure WON'T happen), I would not abandon my principles just for a game. I love the Dead Rising series, and I'm passing on that since it will be XBone exclusive. No game is worth to me the hassles of dealing with the XBone's bullcarp. I love my XBox360. I was willing to follow MS into the next generation. But this is just customer abuse, pure and simple. I'll eventually get a PS4, but probably not day 1 unless I can't wait to play SW Battlefront 3. (waiting to see more footage first!) But my 360 and PS3 still work well, so I'm really in no rush for a new system.

IF Microsoft succeeds, things will only get worse as time goes on. What kind of nonsense will Microsoft push on it's customers a decade from now with their followup to XBone? This crap has to be stopped now. Look at Divx, the pay-to-watch DVD scheme that Circuit City unleashed years ago (not Divx the viewing program, those are two seperate things!) Will they force digital-only downloads a decade from now? Will you still be able to buy the next Star Wars or Marvel movie for $20 to OWN, or will you have to pay $2.99 for each *viewing*, PLUS an additional fee for every person the camera detects in the room?? Please, don't feed Microsoft's BS - it will only get worse for us, not better!

I can not stress how much I love the previous two posts. MC, you bring up some incredibly valid and fearful ideas. Th NSA spying on us is wrong, but Microsoft doing it is okay? Maybe the government just needs to outsource all their data gathering plans.

Here's another one.

tvXzEGE.png

Thanks Dino!

As for Neolego's statement "Digital everything is the future." - I loathe the sentiment! I like some things digital, but absolutely despise that content-providers are doing all they can to force us in that direction! I'm a firm believer in owning what I pay for, not having it be a "service", which can be revoked at any time for any reason!

I positively dread the notion that "experts" are saying that Blu Ray is the final physical form of home release video, that the next platform will be all digital. I buy my movies / TV shows because I want to own them! To me, a lot of them don't justify their cost until I've watched them several times, and that can take years for some things. And I don't want to some day pay a fee for the things I watch constantly (or play for background noise). Nor do I want to be "locked in" to using a device or service to use what I've paid for. Besides, there are plenty of times I can't access Netflix at home, due to my end or Netflix's end of things, so it's great to just pop a disc in! Even though we're heading for greater market penetration of internet & digital availability, things still go down, even for maintainance.

Digital is great, when used well. I love digital comics, but the thought of paper versions going away saddens me. It's nice to be able to carry around and read them digitally, especially older more valuable comics. But the digital comics market and the games & video markets are apples & oranges. I feel comics are going digital more to give customers what they want, as in there will still be paper versions as long as there are buyers. But it feels like games & video are actively pushing for digital distribution as a means of more control over content. And that is what I hate.

Edited by monkeycrumb

Thanks for those awesome explanations guys. It got me back on page. Frankly, I agree that digital is where everything is going, but MS seems to be going about it all wrong. I am glad I sold off my MS stock back after Win8 launched.