UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Next-Gen Discussion (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Ouya, etc)

neolego

Well Folks, we are just about ready for that time again. The Home Consoles are about to jump into the great unknown. Something that traditionally happens only twice a decade, its' the time to launch new hardware (and yes, I do realize the Wii U is already out!).

With Sony's presentation of the Playstation 4 in February and Microsoft's reveal of Xbox One this week AND the struggle that the Wii U is facing right now, I thought it would be a great time to start the conversation on the next generation of gaming.

I am interested to share my thoughts, and hopefully others are too. Here are a few questions to maybe kick things off:

1. What do you think of the Presentations for both PS4 and XONE?

2. What things are you most excited about so far in the announcements?

3. What things are you most disappointed with so far in the announcements?

4. What 1st party exclusive games do you think we will see at E3 and what do you think will launch with each console?

5. What games are you most looking forward to in this next generation?

As you can see. I'm very excited and have plenty to say......I hope I'm not alone! As always, please be respectful of others opinions, because opinions are personal and none are right OR wrong. Let the discussion begin...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only read about Xbox One thus far. The fact it's not backwards compatible with ANY 360 game or XBox Live Arcade games is a huge mistake. I will not be getting this system. I'm happy with my Retro Duo, 360, Genesis, and Nintendo Wii........and my closet full of board games to play with my two kids when they are old enough.

I've been an xbox supporter since day one, but between no backwards compatibility and the negativeness towards used games, i'm not sure if i'm game for xbox one. I'm really hoping nintendo makes a killing at E3 and announces a ton of good games for the Wii U, and i'll get that and keep my 360.

Jeff, you are exactly on point about Backward Compatibility. I'm writing a blog about that right now. Here's a little snip:

I understand that the Xone is a Blu Ray Drive, not DVD, so I can understand the discs not playing. However, my main issue is with XBLA and Downloadable stuff.

I play some of the blockbuster games, but I would venture a guess that 85% of my game time is in the Arcade. And they are games that I play at least weekly, if not some daily. Games like Pinball FX2 and Plants vs. Zombies and Kinect Party and Minecraft.....just to name a few. These are game that I would probably play for years and years to come.

What's going to happen now though, is that they will just resell these games. So I'll have to pay another $20-$25 for Minecraft on Xone. And then, will my save carry over? No, so I'm going to basically have to give up a years worth of invested time on a game that can sometimes be a daily exercise.

Let's put this into perspective. Let's say that you really love Pixel People on your iPhone. Let's say for weeks or months you've opened the app daily to collect some new bonuses and tap on your businesses to make some money and set up new buildings. Then, let's say the iPhone 6 launches tomorrow and you pick one up. And then you go to download Pixel People and they say, nope, it's not compatible with iPhone 6. However, You can buy Pixel People Ultra HD for $3 for a new and awesome version of the same game that you've been playing for months. THEN, you load up the game expecting to have your city in "Ultra HD" and you find out that doesn't carry over and you have to start from scratch. Apple wouldn't do this because it's moronic!

And, just to further my point, let's move OUT of games and let's say that you are the biggest "Office" fan in the history of the world. Let's say that you purchased all of the seasons on DVD as they came out. But your favorite season is season 2. You love it SO much that you could personally recite the entire season as a monologue. Now, lets' say they release a brand new Super Superior Blu Ray player that you want for all of the new Superior Blu Rays and 3D movies coming out. So, you are loving all the new movies, but you really want to watch Office season 2 episode 6. So, you put in your DVD and boot it up. And, the new Superior Blu Ray player informs you that if you want to watch your favorite episode of The Office, that you've owned for 7 years, you will need to purchase the same content again for a premium price.

Now, I'm not ignorant. I understand that the hardware is different, but I believe that this is a serious issue that Microsoft has allowed to hurt, if nothing else, my view of their dominance. In my circle of influence, I have said for a year now, the only thing that is a slam dunk for me is Backwards Compatibility.

It's hilarious to me that Xbox One is building it's future on being the "All-In-One" box for your living room............. except for the Xbox 360 that you will have to leave plugged in to play GTAV.

It's laughable and something that I truly feel is a serious issue.

Just some of my thoughts, but I do believe this is a huge misstep for some a universal company. It's like if when Windows 8 launched they were like well, Windows 8 is so much cooler than anything that we've done before, HOWEVER because it's new it won't read MP3 files, WMV files, or DOC files. That would not only be a disaster, but it would be idiotic......however, that is exactly what they are doing with digital content on the Xbox platform. It's a problem folks!

haven't caught up on this at all, so they are still going forward with not making 360 games compatible at all? Won't be getting it at all then...at least not until they stop making 360 versions of games.

to be fair I havent watched all the news on the new X-box, but PS4 for me all the way, yes no backwards compatibility sucks, but im pretty sure games bought through PSN will be accessible, and for me the system has much better launch titles.

The last Console i bought was the Wii and even though its maybe not as spectacular at games as say the Xbox or PS I find its its great for social games across age groups even with non-gamers.

I have read about the new Xbox and for me its a big pass. I didnt even put two and two together about it not playing older games with the drive change. It is the thing about not being able to play second hand games on it or even a borrowed game without paying a charge.

I'm quite happy at the moment messing around with android stuff on my tablet and if I had the money for a next gen console I would prob still pass.

to be fair I havent watched all the news on the new X-box, but PS4 for me all the way, yes no backwards compatibility sucks, but im pretty sure games bought through PSN will be accessible, and for me the system has much better launch titles.

There is no BC of any kind on PS4 and XboxOne. That has been confirmed for both. Anything, Digital or Retail, will not play on the New-Gen. As for your statement about "Launch Titles", there have been almost NO titles announced for launch. However, I think after E3 is over, you might change your tune. There are some pretty heavy hitters rumored to be up MS sleeve.

PS4 for me. I dont really care about the lack of backwards compatibility, since my PS3 is still kicking, and I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

Yeah, I don't plan on scrapping my Xbox 360 either. I have two and I will keep one in my Master and put one in the guest room. But I feel like it's a joke having to keep both systems plugged up.

Let me give you an example. Probably my most wanted game of this year is Disney Infinity. If you don't know what that is, google it, it's kind of like a Disney version of Skylanders. No, Disney has went on recording stating they are "Creating a Platform" with Disney Infinity. Something that will grow year after year with new playsets and figures added in waves. So, the game comes out in August and let's assume that the Xone comes out in November (3 Months later). So, I pay $60 for a brand new game, and probably another $40 for extra characters. I play the game for a few months and then I pick up my Xbox One! The brand new, super sleek and sexy system for, let's say, $400. I take it home and start playing. Then, let's say December, Disney releases another new Infinity Playset, let's say Planes and I buy it for $35. Now, I will have to keep my 360 in my living room and turn it on just to play Infinity, while my $400 new system just hangs out.

Or, what is more likely going to happen at my house, I will just keep Infinity in my Master Bedroom with the 360. So, if a friend comes over and I'm like, "DUDE, check out this new Planes level on Infinity".......we have to walk into my Master Bedroom, sit on my (Hopefully made) bed like teenage boys, and check out the level on my 32in LCD. Instead of sitting on my couch, booting up my XONE, on a 50in OLED and surround sound.

And, the icing on the cake, is that Microsoft is promoting Xbox One as the "Only Box" you will need. You can just speak and switch between a game and tv and music, etc. Only, if you want to play the new Splinter Cell or GTAV, you will have to turn off your state of the art new console and let it collect dust while you play on your 7 year old Xbox 360. It's COUNTERproductive!

Edited by neolego

wait...I thought Infamous Second Son was only for PS4? am I wrong to think this? also wow, no BC on even digital copies? alright that sucks...but I still think the PS4 takes the cake for me, Im not one for competitive online gaming, so paying for online is a big no no. Also sony specific titles always win out for me, it just means ill have to wait and get them for PS4, rather than buying them for PS3...

So is the point of Xbox to eliminate the middle man? Meaning, you'll just buy the games directly on the device/internet?

If that's the case-- bye bye Gamestop and ANY video game department in Best Buy/Target/Walmart/Meijer/etc.

Home console wise I have had the gamecube, Wii and PS3 so when the buzz for the next gen consoles came out I was excited and curious as I have never owned any of microsoft`s consoles and this could have been the perfect time to get one {no pun intended}. The Wii U was announced but I had a feeling the developers really wouldn't support it like the ending of the Wii life cycle and needless to say a couple months in and the Wii U has had only several titles made so far with developers bashing it.

The OUYA was announced, but that did not do much as my Transformer Pad Infinity is more then qualified to run any android games I throw at it so that was a pass.

The PS4 was announced and that really got me excited. I LOVE my PS3 and I think Sony did an amazing job with it. It was built amazingly and could probably still pump out games for the next year or two if the console wars wasn't so important to the companies. So when the conference started I was already on the edge of my seat. The whole sharing/streaming is really just a boring gimmick in my opinnion as I have been doing it with the PC forever now and it's not that great. The alwaya on thing has potential as long as it won't kill the system in anyway and the option ot let a friend jump in over the PSN and control you in a game is a brilliant idea. The PS Vita connectivity seems cool but it's really on the developers side to keep that alive. What made the conference was the game reveals; Games like InFamous Second Son and Killzone 4 are what will sell the console to people and as of right now has sold it to me. Another right thing Soy did game wise was show some gameplay not just pre rendered cutscenes as it shows what the system is capable of at launch. Overall the conference was great in my opinion and has me sold for now.

Then there is the Xbox one... It had potential to make a perfect conference fixing all the things Sony did wrong with the extra month and they did show the vcr-box console itself; but in my opinion that is the only thing they did right. Microsoft wants the console to be the ONE entertainment device in your living room and they really sold that aspect, the problem is for someone like me; that's useless. I already have Digital cable TV so that's already out the door. My PS3,Transformer Pad,iPod,Phone,wii and PC could all run Netflix and other apps like that so there goes that and sports, well I could care less about that {Sorry for the excessive use of that}. So then there are games which were mostly all not only multi-platform but sequels {and sports}. The fact that Microsoft came out with games the PS4 will have to sell their system is one of the stupidest business idea's I have heard of and I know 15 or so exclusives will be revealed at E3 but the conference is supposed to sell the system and divert peoples attention from Sony while it did the exact opposite as Sony's stock rose while multiple youtubers,game sites and gamers in general raged on and said they are switching. One of my friends who is a Die-Hard XBOX fan said the conference was shit and I think the pretty much sums it up. Microsoft really needs to unveil some big stuff at E3 or else it looks like the majority of gamers are switching to PS4, Although I have a feeling that all thats going to be announced is Kinect Adventures 2 and HALO Wars 2... That being said Microsoft does stand a chance with the casual gamer market but that means they are going into war with Nintendo which may or may not be a good idea seeing as what Nintendo turned into in the past couple of years.

Nothing is making me jump up and down saying I want it... yet...

As most of you have said there seems too many negatives to go with the positives this time around.

I'll prob keep using my 360 & see how things play out for a couple of yrs before joining this next gen.

Having said that, Let's talk again after E3

T.

Nothing is making me jump up and down saying I want it... yet...

As most of you have said there seems too many negatives to go with the positives this time around.

I'll prob keep using my 360 & see how things play out for a couple of yrs before joining this next gen.

Having said that, Let's talk again after E3

T.

This is kind of my way of thinking on the whole situation. This has been one of the topics at the dinner table with my wife as of late. Something we both agree on is to move forward things need to change. Because if they didn't we'd still being playing our old Atari, Nintendo, etc. consoles.

Edited by The_Donster

• 2 weeks later...

HUGE NEWS on the Xbox One

(Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online)

Here are the highlights:

-Games will be available Day and Date Digital (this is my MOST WANTED feature!)

-The Console isn't "Always Online" but will have to connect to the internet once ever 24 hours to play games.

-All Games Must Be Installed, but The Disc Will No Longer be Required.

-Games Can be Shared with Anyone in your "Family".

-You can "Share" your library with up to ten Family Member, who can play your shared library from Any Console.

-Limitations on Giving Your Games to a Friend

-You will be able to Trade Games in

There is some major new included in the article. I'd love to hear your thoughts. There is a log of Negative going around right now. Also, there is a lot of people jumping ship to PS4. Let me be clear, Sony may be too scared to share their details, rest assure that the PS4 will have a VERY similar requirement to Connecting once a day and DRM of games. After next week, whiners jumping to PS4 right now are going to be embarrassed!

Thoughts?

You forgot to state that at this time, MS has stated that there are no plans to allow consumers to rent games for XBox One. Seeya, GameFly!

As a longtime gamer and supported of the XBox from day one, I'm a bit turned off by all of these new "rules" for how I am allowed to enjoy the games I actually purchase. It seems a lot of these "checks" are being put into place to attempt to block software piracy, but we all know pirates will find a way around the system (they always do), and in the end, the honest and loyal consumers will be left with more hoops to jump through for no reason.

I went through 7 XBox 360 Red-Ring-Of-Death system swaps back in the day, but I stuck with MS through all of that because of how they handled the situation. Now, if a system dies, will there be extra work put on the consumer's shoulders to get his licenses for physical games transferred from the broken system to a new system? MS isn't addressing that...

This whole next generation just has me scratching my head and wondering if it's just too much work to play games.

I've never, ever jumped on a new console. I've always waited about 3 years before doing anything. But I hate, hate, HATE DRM media. I thought we fixed this with music. Now we're going to have to fight games too? This is what I argued my idiot friends against. They're all super internet speed, make everything digital. I'm like "You can't stop me from reading a book. But you can stop people from downloading one." Digital =/= Superior. Just keep that in mind.

Also...

7892_167041470137734_1505837002_n.jpg

As much as i love halo, banjo and the other ms exclusives i'll be definetely getting the ps4. Xbox 1 has done nothing to impress me and the always watching you, always connected to the internet thing is awful. In Greece, we have the slowest internet of the world (i'm not entirely sure though) with 24 mbps. Thsi policy will not be much of a problem but both paying for live and being watched by the kinect at all times? Thanks but no thanks.

As much as i love halo, banjo and the other ms exclusives i'll be definetely getting the ps4. Xbox 1 has done nothing to impress me and the always watching you, always connected to the internet thing is awful. In Greece, we have the slowest internet of the world (i'm not entirely sure though) with 24 mbps. Thsi policy will not be much of a problem but both paying for live and being watched by the kinect at all times? Thanks but no thanks.

Just be aware, before hailing the PS4 flag. Sony has been, purposely deceitful in their strategy for the new system. This pressure for DRM is not from MS, it's from publishers, so rest assure, Sony will have something, if not identical, very close to what the Xbox One is doing. If you are not ready to embrace the future of media, I would suggest that you keep your Xbox 360 and PS3!

Honestly, this is the best thing I can say about it. Note that the conference lasted from 1-3ish

ku-xlarge.jpg

Meanwhile, MS went into a slight freefall, down from a 5 year high.

ku-xlarge.jpg

http://kotaku.com/sonys-stock-jumped-up-following-microsofts-xbox-one-r-509106311

This is evidence of perception and nothing more. Microsoft appealed to a wide audience at their reveal, Sony appealed to the Gamer. Next week, Microsoft is going to BLOW Sony out of the water with games, including the new exclusive from Respawn Titanfall. Whereas, Sony will have to share these same non gamer features during it's E3 spotlight. And the tables will once again be even. Microsoft is a smart company, they are not the company that has been losing money for the last 5 years straight (looking at Sony). MS knows what they are doing. They appeal to the casual market to sell the surplus of their consoles, and then even if they lose some hardcore gamers to Sony, they will still be more profitable in the long run. This is a business, and MS knows how to play the game.

Also, MS is being very clear that they are not only supporting, but still PROMOTING the 360. With games like Fable Anniversary and Splinter Cell and GTA V due this holiday. If you are not ready to embrace the digital future, you can still play amazing games, at a great price, with no internet connected needed on a 360.

What's funny is that, in a year's time, this will not even be a topic to discuss. Steam has been doing this for years. This is really just something home console folks are going to learn to live with...and in the long run, will actually be best for both the gamer and developer!

Also, sorry to double post, but they just announced the Lococyle will release on Xbox 360 XBLA, but will also be available day one on the Xbox One. This game is looking great. I love Twisted Pixel, so this will be a day one purchase for me!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/07/lococycle-is-an-xbox-one-launch-title?abthid=51b20d2cc807433f44000006