UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Need Help - What to Collect for Office Desk

Ok, here's the deal, I finally work in a cool place where I'm planning to stay for a while. It's also in the technology field, so it's cool to be nerdy. And every day I stare at a desk that is just screaming for culture. But I'm having some trouble with decided what to do and I was hoping to find some help here.

Couple of important notes:

1 - It is a work desk, and while I am a proud nerd, I don't want action figures, and that includes minimates (Sorry!)

2 - I am OCD, so I'm really hoping to find stuff that is preferably in the same line of toys or at least the same scale.

3 - I can't spend hundreds of dollars, so I'm looking for something decently priced.

4 - It is for a cubicle work desk, so I can't have very large things, think smaller scale.

Ok, so here's where I am. I love the selection of Funko Pop Vinyl figures, but they're eyes man, they FREAK me out! I prefer the Muggs figures, but they are just so limited in selection. For right now, I'm leaning toward Funko's Wobblers because they look more adult than the Pop Vinyls, there is a good selection, and they are around $15 bucks each. But I'm still not sure. Any suggestions from the masses here. What do you guys display on your work desk (at a company, not your house) and what would you recommend?

LEGOs are figures though. I've got a handful of GI Joes and Minimates on the shelves in my office. If you really are concerned about people thinking you are an "adult" then maybe you should just stay away from anything like this and get one of those little fountain things with the rocks, or a metronome or something. I don't think folks are gonna see Bobbleheads or static "urban vinyl" dolls as any more mature than a little action toy. Maybe something like a bronze Bowen statue would straddle that line, but I doubt even that would be the case for a casual onlooker who wouldn't distinguish it from a MEGO figure or whatever.

Edited by karamazov80

LEGOs are figures though. I've got a handful of GI Joes and Minimates on the shelves in my office. If you really are concerned about people thinking you are an "adult" then maybe you should just stay away from anything like this and get one of those little fountain things with the rocks, or a metronome or something. I don't think folks are gonna see Bobbleheads or static "urban vinyl" dolls as any more mature than a little action toy. Maybe something like a bronze Bowen statue would straddle that line, but I doubt even that would be the case for a casual onlooker who wouldn't distinguish it from a MEGO figure or whatever.

I do feel like I was misleading. First, I honestly don't care what people thing, so "More Adult" was probably not the most accurate statement. I guess, I just meant something stationary that is nice looking as a static collectible Action Figures are great, but with the joins and stuff they are meant to be played with. I want something strictly for display.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I think if you want "nice and stationary looking" then, at least in my mind, that means you are gonna have to pay for it, because quality costs. Hot Toys figures would work (most don't have exposed joints), or Bowen/Kotobukiya statues, which are pretty fancy looking and not too big. But they ain't cheap. It's so subjective though. Some may think NECA figures would work in your criteria, but I wouldn't. I can't stand bobbleheads, so I personally wouldn't get them (they feel more like cheap carnival prizes than collectibles, or something you see in the windshield of old Ford Pintos), but YMMV.

Holy cow those Hot Toys are AWESOME. But $200 is going to be way outta my range. Maybe in the future though. I almost just bought the Mark 42 Iron Man but prefer my account to be Non-Overdrawn! Thanks for the advice though, when the money is available I will probably look into those.

Fighter Pods. They come in a small variety of flavors like Star Trek, Star Wars, Transformers, and Marvel Comics.

Maybe Squinkies? They've got even more licensed and non-licensed properties to choose from.

Thanks. The Squinkies phases is not lost on me. My daughter loves these things. But it's not for me. The biggest issue is just the lack of detail, I want something that's sharp so when someone looks at my desk they get a clear view of what they are looking at. The Squinkies are just a little too small for that.

I really like the JLU paperweights that Monogram International made a few years ago; they are solid pieces and still relatively cheap (a quick amazon search puts most of them at under $20). Of course, that means you have to like the DCU in general, and the DCAU in particular.

If it were me, i'd be going for Minimates. I loved having a cubicle full of them at my last job :P

Failing that, the MU line from Hasbro has some really nice figures in it now.

I've been displaying the occasional Minimates on my desk for years and managed to get a couple other co-workers interested. At first most people think, "Oh, LEGO guys!" But then they realize they're looking at Hannibal Lecter and start asking questions. [maniacal laugh]

Thanks for the help so far gang. But honestly, this may be a loosing battle. There just isn't anything that I've finding that fits that sweet spot. I love the Paperweights from Monogram, but it's pretty limited in selection. Why isn't there a company that has small, bust or statues with the breadth of licenses like Minimates have.

I have a huge list of great ideas of what I want. They just don't exist. :\

I'm reminded of what I used to have on my work desk when I had a work desk ..........I'm not a particularly big DC fan but I fell in love with her at a comic fair years ago & there she sat on my desk until the day I left . Everybody loved her.

post-638-0-36841400-1368729403_thumb.jpg

That's actually a pic I've just nicked from the internet but tomorrow I'm going to go & find her & re-acquaint her to the world tongue.png

My point ? Get yourself something like her .....worked for me

Edited by buttheadsmate

That is awesome Mini-God. And I love the Animated versions of not only Harley, but all of the Batfamily. That looks like a great size too. I would love small statues along those lines, but I was really hoping to get a wide range of stuff. My issues is that I can find bits and pieces of stuff I like, but nothing together. I want Cap and Iron Man and Batman, next to Boba Fett and Doctor Who, next to Leonardo and Marty McFly, next to Aragorn and Slimer. It just doesn't exist.....or at least I don't think it does. I may have to go with Minimates, because it has probably the largest selection of anything else I've researched.

Yeah, there are some nice mini busts/statues out there now that I think about it. Palisades did some great GI Joe ones that won't cost an arm and a leg. But if you want a wide range of franchises then I think you might be stuck with articulated figures or something like the Funko dolls. Hot Toys has that range, but as you said, they are expensive.

This probably doesn't help because I have a decent sized office, but I found Kotobukiya 1/6th scale vinyl figures work well and are not super expensive or easy to break.

5adcc952-2ac4-4c5a-b41a-a7ab9be33950_zps

This is a cabinet in the back of my office downtown.

HeroClix or Eaglemoss?

I understand your frustration. You'll know it when you see it. Keep looking around.

Eaglemoss is a good idea. They make little lead (at least I think they're lead) figures of Marvel and DC characters. They might do more, I don't know. I think they run about $10 a piece? I've never looked into them (and I'm obviously not going to do so now smile.png), so I can't really give much info on them.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I finally found exactly what I want.................except for they don't make them anymore. Several years back Hasbro made a line of Die Cast figures/vehicles called Titanium.

51HnDaLBr8L._SY300_.jpg

They made Marvel figures and Transformers and Indiana Jones and Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. They are sub $10. They are small so I can fit a lot of them on my desk. They are super detailed and look great.

So, I guess I'm going to start plundering Amazon and eBay and see if I can pick up some of these that are still in circulation. Too bad these aren't around anymore, these are PERFECT!!

Well, I took my kids to LEGOLAND this weekend and decided to pick up my first of the new Planet Model sets. I picked up the Naboo Fighter and it's amazing!

nabooy.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This may be one of the coolest ideas that LEGO has had in a long time. And it's PERFECT for my desk!!! I don't know what the future holds for these sets, but I'm praying we get some spin-offs. I'd love the Turtle Van with a Leo figure or the Turtle Blimp with Don. Maybe a Helicarrier with Nick Fury or a Motorcycle with Ghost Rider. Even Batman with a Batmobile or Wonder Woman with an Invisible Jet. OR, they could grow the licences with these sets and get Marty with a Delorian or Bo with the General Lee or That kid with the Spaceship from Flight of the Navigator. Of course, most of these will probably never happen, but I tell you now I'd buy every last one of them. I am already working on the full Star Wars sets. Plus, I have all of the Mini Line released years back, so I'm going to start making my own bases for all of those vehicles.
It won't be the only thing on my desk, but I do think I've found my staple! Please don't discontinue these.....