UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tru 17

Nessex

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ultimate universe is a complete mess now. I've kept up with it (wasted time), and it's unrecognizable from what it was meant to be. Iron Man has had 3 or 4 different "origins", the X-Men corner is, at least to me, more confusing then the 616 mid 90's X-Men. And this is all coming from someone that enjoyed Ultimatum....

I guess it all just depends on what your definition of 'what it was meant to be' is. I personally feel that it's going it's own way and still holds true to itself.

I have not read ultimate iron man mini's so i have no opinion one way or the other on them.

to each their own.

The Ultimate universe is a complete mess now. I've kept up with it (wasted time), and it's unrecognizable from what it was meant to be. Iron Man has had 3 or 4 different "origins", the X-Men corner is, at least to me, more confusing then the 616 mid 90's X-Men. And this is all coming from someone that enjoyed Ultimatum....

It was, if I remember correctly, billed as "a new beginning with no convoluted back-story", or words to that effect. It did deliver on the fresh start promise, but all the massive continuity changes put it on par with the here-and-there mess that is the 616. My two cents, gonna spend the rest on a candy bar.

The Ultimates Universe is basically an earlier version of the New 52. Designed to make sure you couldn't get confused about the past because there is no past to get confused about. As expected, it eventually bombed. The universe got all messy and it got confusing. This is basically what could happen to the New 52 if not handled correctly.

With my earlier comment about Electro being as obscure as Magma, I had actually forgotten about the upcoming moving and didn't realise mainstream publicity had started. So definitely he will have a higher public profile. One thing I find odd though is the assumption that non comic reading people are up on things like cartoon villains and whatnot, sure whatever kids tune into a particular version of a spiderman cartoon would know that version of the villains, but their mum still probably thinks Catwoman fights the Hulk or something.

The Ultimates Universe is basically an earlier version of the New 52. Designed to make sure you couldn't get confused about the past because there is no past to get confused about. As expected, it eventually bombed. The universe got all messy and it got confusing. This is basically what could happen to the New 52 if not handled correctly.

I think you mean what immediately happened to the New 52 because it wasn't handled correctly from the get go. The Ultimate Universe at least started slowly and built on itself with a handful of fundamental concepts being shared across a completely rebooted universe. The New 52 was a much softer reboot that opened with internal history and multiple titles featuring one character at different points in that character's history. It was confusing. There was no organic building process or internal history making, and a lot of stories suffered for it. Also the Ultimate U didn't replace our dearly beloved prime universe, so it was easier to swallow that pill and then have fun with it.

And I have to admit that I thought Electro was one of the more interesting redesigns, so I'm looking forward to adding the mate to my Ultimate U collection.

I think you mean what immediately happened to the New 52 because it wasn't handled correctly from the get go. The Ultimate Universe at least started slowly and built on itself with a handful of fundamental concepts being shared across a completely rebooted universe. The New 52 was a much softer reboot that opened with internal history and multiple titles featuring one character at different points in that character's history. It was confusing. There was no organic building process or internal history making, and a lot of stories suffered for it. Also the Ultimate U didn't replace our dearly beloved prime universe, so it was easier to swallow that pill and then have fun with it.

And I have to admit that I thought Electro was one of the more interesting redesigns, so I'm looking forward to adding the mate to my Ultimate U collection.

All this. Yes. Exactly.

Yeah, still no sign of Series 16 over here.

I didn't care for Robot Hulk at first but he's really starting to grow on me now. What's under his armor, just a random silver robot body?

Is that Hawkeye's new comic look?

Black Widow looks great!

The classic look for Electro is way better than this new look. This Ultimate Electro is going to be my powered-up Hydro Man.

Edited by MisterMiracle

Well, I'm a little excited for the Venom cause of how he might look like underneath.

Nova, on the other hand, could have been replaced with someone better, like Modern Captain Marvel (Carol), Black Panther (Shuri), Uncanny Avengers Wasp/Sunfire/Havok, or FF Antman/She Hulk/Medusa. Any of them. He just feels wholly unnecessary .

It has been confirmed that Venom will have a symbiote Spidey underneath. That's not something I can get excited about since we just got a great one in wave 43.

There's really only so much you can do with Venom, he's somebody I'd like to see DST take a break from for a very long time.

Edited by bigvis497

There's really only so much you can do with Venom, he's somebody I'd like to see DST take a break from for a very long time.

Agreed. I'm in no hurry to add new Venom accessories to my collection and that's about the only new thing I can imagine at this point. This is "Best of" venom, isn't it?

Still, I suppose it's a good way for newbies to jump on board but only if they know there's a symbiote Spider-Man under that villain. I hope the packaging telegraphs that.

However, pairing him with Nova seems... random. I'm with Mr. Armando on this concerning Nova.

People who have never read a Marvel comic before are currently enjoying Nova and Venom (and Spider-Man and Electro) on TV. They obviously aren't intended for people who bought them on the specialty market, although Nova can be a different Nova, and Venom can be a very simple purple Spider-Man. I'll take some pics of him soon.

I've asked my aunt in the states to grab me the Hawkeye/Black Widow pack. I'M EXCITED!