UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tru 17

Nessex

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just opened these up a little while ago. Thoughts:

-Didn't buy the Nova/Venom set, and after seeing Fwooshy's picks, I'm glad I didn't. That head.... I'm just glad the two that are basically just straight rereleases (yeah, I know, Venom's purple...) are at least packed together.

-Rescue can easily sub for Iron Lad, for those looking to go all Young Avengers here. Her lady curves are... minimal. She's no Kat Dennings, in other words (sorry, I just got done catching up on the Thor thread). The Pepper head is really nice; I forgot that she has freckles, so that was cool to see. Time to update my custom of Madman's girlfriend Jo!

-Mecha Hulk is clearly the winner of this set. What a cool figure. Can't believe they shortpacked this; it's going to be Hulkbuster Iron Man all over again. I'm starting to regret I didn't pick up the second set....

-Black Widow is fine, and if anyone wants to make a Guillem March style Catwoman, well, you've got your boobs torso. Disappointed, though, that her belt is a tampo, when they still have that cool belt from Champions BW. That alone makes her pale in comparison to the first one.

-Hawkeye is nice, even though I will never like this costume. Hawkeye without a finned purple mask=fail. Also wish they'd given us the cool compound bow that came with the movie one.

-As I said earlier, I probably would not have bought the Spidey/Electro pack today if I wasn't scared off by the bad Spidey heads I saw. Didn't want to take a chance and wait and never see a good one. This is going to be a REAL PROBLEM. and I strongly recommend you guys that use TRU.com to hold off on this set. Let's hope DST customer service is able to get a supply of replacement heads, because I expect they will get a lot of requests. Other then that, he's a nice figure.

-I don't have much to say about Electro, other then that he'll make a nice addition to TTFC.

Edited by hellpop

SDC11566_zps031c2003.jpg

Not that I've read the back of the packaging or know anything relating to what the 'mate is 'sposed to represent.

However, I think this is JESSE Alexander, Sam's father, who he inherits the mantle of Nova from.

Sam's a young teenage kid with black hair. Jesse was/is an alcoholic janitor with an unshaven face and brown hair, seen here in Nova #1, vol. 5:

Nova-v5-001-007.jpg

This version's 'sposed to be the dad, not the son.

That's the extra head that comes with the set. You can make both of them, though from the looks of it I'm not sure why you would want to.

BTW, having not read the series, how did they justify this guy that we've never seen before having apparently been in the Nova Corps for years? Did they just pretend like we're supposed to accept it? I hate when they do that.

He was a 'Supernova', black helmets, sort of a black op Nova squad. That was as much of an explanation that they gave, they didn't want to make the reader deal with too much continuity or logic.

I'm always annoyed by that theory. Yes, comics should reach out beyond the core of current comic readers, but let's not ignore or belittle the comic readers that already exist. You can do both, appeal to new readers and old.

Edited by JeffBohn

4x Superior/Electro

4x Hawkeye/Black Widow

2x Rescue/Robot Hulk

2x Sam Nova/Venom

That's a curious packout. I wonder if this is an experiment to put the "female characters can sell just as well" argument to the test. A lot of the shortpacked exclusives with female characters (Boomer and Magma from wave 13; Betsy from wave 14; Sif from Thor wave 1) sold quick at first, then turned into peg warmers – because the avid collectors/scalpers went after whatever set had the sticker? I guess we'll see how well Widow can carry 1/3 of the sales for this wave.

I suppose it could also be because she's in the upcoming Cap movie...

Edited by Lobsterman

Plus marvel wants to distance themselves from Richard Ryder at any turn.

Why do you say that?

since the Thanos Imperative, Richard has been largely forgotten and ignored, from what it seems is editorial mandate.

He was replaced as the main Nova in every media appearance, in favor of Sam (with his ongoing, consistent character in Spidey's show, video games, etc)

Rich is rarely if ever mentioned by anyone, even those who were with him when he died (Peter Quill and Thanos, alongside Gamora) and talking about the cancerverse

Other than vague hints, we might not be seing Rich for at least another 6 months

you do realize they are currently addressing what happened to Rider, Quill and Thanos in GOTG, the Marvel universe (well the cosmic side) did not forget their sacrifice and it was the Ultron fallout that brought them back, so some questions are now being answered, slowly but surely

also I dont mind Sam, seeing as I've always seen the Nova's as Marvels GLC and well, every new Green Lantern has been great

Yes, Sam comes with an alternate Jesse head. It has a little more... personality? That and the bonus gold helmet were our efforts to make this Nova different for anyone who picked it up.

I assume they wanted a young Nova for the Spidey cartoon, so they created Sam to preserve Richard Ryder's legacy. Then they brought Sam into the comics to create an entry point for fans of the show. Like when a character's costume becomes more like the movie version, i.e. Hawkeye.

And I am not sure if that case breakdown is what was originally intended, but I feel pretty confident about Hawkeye and Widow being a heavy pack. She's in Captain America, they're both Agents of SHIELD, and the Avengers movie versions sold out pretty fast.

you do realize they are currently addressing what happened to Rider, Quill and Thanos in GOTG, the Marvel universe (well the cosmic side) did not forget their sacrifice and it was the Ultron fallout that brought them back, so some questions are now being answered, slowly but surely

also I dont mind Sam, seeing as I've always seen the Nova's as Marvels GLC and well, every new Green Lantern has been great

I am reading GotG, and they seem to act like it was only Quill and Thanos who was trapped, and Gamora didn't care to mention her boyfriend is dead or trapped.

I don't hate Sam, but I also don't like shoving characters aside in favor a new ones without any semblance of respect. Either confirm Rich died to save Quill and Thanos, or he died on the way to his home planet, lol.