UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 54

Nessex

You'd be sad too if they hadn't made a 'mate out of you

Not quite what I meant, but *when* we finally get him, I feel like he'll only look "right" if he's made with blue plastic, perhaps with black painted highlights.

I feel it's only a matter of time before we get the bulk of the missing Avengers, with the only two least-likely candidates being Moondragon and Dr Druid. Tigra, Black Knight, Mockingbird all seem to me like they will get made eventually.

Well, I certainly hope you are right. Non A-lister avengers love has been hard to come by in the line for a long time now it seems to me.

As for expectations, I'm sure we have all now got our "dream" wave in our heads for this so there are bound to be some disappointed people but the guessing is proving a lot of fun. I think it's great that Zach is giving us all these hints since it's creating an interesting brain-teaser. Got to admit that overall I'm pretty stumped on it, though captain America seems the most likely to me.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should rephrase; I don't think Zach's done anything but express his own personal excitement over the lineup of this wave. We've kind of taken the phrase "incredible amount of fan service" and run with it, in some very implausible directions.

This.

There are obscure or barely popular entities I'd love to see made too... but sometimes you just have to swallow them and realize they ain't gonna happen.

Why do I get the feeling Zach's set expectations for this wave impossibly high?...

Nope. He specifically stated we're going to cross off a bunch of wishlist wants between wave 54 & TRU wave 17 & 18. I have such a long wishlist, I'm happy with everything checked off of it.

Actually, I can't think of any recent waves where I didn't love something in it.

Taking another stab at this.

Avengers: Under Siege

Black Knight (Poll)/Titania

Battle Damaged Hercules/Wrecker(Poll)

Wasp/Grey Gargoyle with parts for a transformed civilian

Yellow Jacket (Rita Demara)/Grey Gargoyle

Or trade Titania for Wasp and drop Yellow Jacket for Absorbing Man with Thunderball as the variant.

If we got Absorbing Man as a variant, why not just give us two versions of the same figure but as having absorbed different material. Concrete Absorbing Man and Steel Absorbing Man for example.

I should rephrase; I don't think Zach's done anything but express his own personal excitement over the lineup of this wave. We've kind of taken the phrase "incredible amount of fan service" and run with it, in some very implausible directions.

This.

There are obscure or barely popular entities I'd love to see made too... but sometimes you just have to swallow them and realize they ain't gonna happen.

To be fair, DST has released 'mates of some pretty obscure characters (I'm looking at you, Spymaster), so I'd say anything's possible.

You'd be sad too if they hadn't made a 'mate out of you

Not quite what I meant, but *when* we finally get him, I feel like he'll only look "right" if he's made with blue plastic, perhaps with black painted highlights.

I feel it's only a matter of time before we get the bulk of the missing Avengers, with the only two least-likely candidates being Moondragon and Dr Druid. Tigra, Black Knight, Mockingbird all seem to me like they will get made eventually.

As long as I finally, FINALLY, FINALLY get a Crystal that wasn't a custom I would be happy with that. Hell, a Moon Dragon custom is easy enough if anyone wanted one.

Mojo/spineless one

Spiral/spineless one

Banshee/Sunfire

Apocolypse/Exodus

Yeah?

I would buy this wave every single day for a week straight. Just open a set every now and then when I had a lousy day. That's how sweet this line up would be to me.

Mojo/spineless one

Spiral/spineless one

Banshee/Sunfire

Apocolypse/Exodus

Yeah?

I would buy this wave every single day for a week straight. Just open a set every now and then when I had a lousy day. That's how sweet this line up would be to me.

Me too!

I kind of like that though, I don't think we'd ever get Spymaster in any other Marvel line. It's not just an obscure character, it's an obscure villain, which almost never happens.

That's one of my favorite things about Minimates: Even the obscure characters get some love. Heck, I'd have never even heard of Spymaster if I hadn't bought the Minimate of him.

Where are the Caps, Iron-Men, or Wolverines? You have to put them in your guesses or it just isn't realistic! DST doesn't make waves with out marquee characters, you all should know that.

Minnesota you should never pay $100 for a single minimate that's ludacris, but if you live on ebay someone will post a better deal! Now will he have his staff? That's the big question. I had to get him because I wanted to display the 90's X-Men, I knew I'd have to spend a little more then I'd like, $35 new in box I thought that it was fair.

Kostis a new Moon Knight? Really?

Edited by zakkatz

Whirlwind and white Vision need to be made so I can display the first level of the Sega game. haha I thought Vision was Pigeon! I was 4 :(

Chuck didn't shoot down a question about a Banshee, Sunfire two pack in the most recent askdst. So who ever guessed those two, kudos! you might be right.

The only problem with 54 being an X-Men themed wave is that what is the "highly requested villain" army-builder that wasn't in the Fan Poll?

- Acolytes - not highly requested

- Multiple Man (Classic Muir Island costume) (Ruled out due to poll involvement)

- Phalanx - not highly requested

- Prime Sentinels - not highly requested

- Purifiers - not highly requested

- Reavers - not highly requested

- Savage Land inhabitants - not highly requested

- Shi'ar Soldiers - not highly requested

- Stepford Cuckoos (Ruled out due to poll involvement)

- The Right - not highly requested

- The Uncreated - not highly requested

- Warwolves (Ruled out due to poll involvement)

The only "highly requested" X-Men related army builder that I can think of is X-Factor Multiple Man, which technically, wasn't on the Fan Poll vote. But again, the army builder is a "highly requested villain".

I'm still leaning toward Wendigo as the "highly requested villain army builder", but they really only fought Hulk en masse, Wendigo has primarily been a single character before that story arc. Wendigo COULD work in an X-Men themed wave, but would be better served in a Hulk themed wave.

Plus, since we got Sasquatch in the Alpha Flight boxset, there is already a significant amount of existing tooling needed for Wendigo.

Edited by youbastards

Where are the Caps, Iron-Men, or Wolverines? You have to put them in your guesses or it just isn't realistic! DST doesn't make waves with out marquee characters, you all should know that.

Minnesota you should never pay $100 for a single minimate that's ludacris, but if you live on ebay someone will post a better deal! Now will he have his staff? That's the big question. I had to get him because I wanted to display the 90's X-Men, I knew I'd have to spend a little more then I'd like, $35 new in box I thought that it was fair.

Kostis a new Moon Knight? Really?

For one, moon knight has had a couple of interesting costumes throughout the years (ultimate, classic,modern) and he is absent from the second hand market. He is nowhere to be found on ebay and when he was he went up for ridiculous prices.

When i first got into collecting minimates i would buy all of them from ebay. I would pay 15 dollars for each figure, wether it was new or old. I spent 50 dollars on the tru silver surfer and you know what? His paint rubbed off. I bout the green lantern of wave 1 for 40 dollars. And guess what, his paint rubbed off! I bought the wave 28 deapool for 60 dollars and his paint rubbed off! So now, i refuse to pay more than 20 bucks on a figure that will probably have his paint rubbed or chiped off. Many of my other mates have this problem (90's xavier, the other wave 28 deadpool i have, mvc3 deadpool, the battle beasts, wave 28 wolverine and many more). My point is that minimates can be easily destroyed. I have bought many only to find that they have 2 left feet or two right arms. For a US collector it isn't that big of a deal. He'll go to the store and buy another pack. Or he'll examine the pic to see if there are any missing paint apps or whatnot. Meanwhile an overseas collector has to pay shipping again and prey that the two or three stores that sell minimates don't run out of said item. A US collector can find some bargain at a long forgotten tru store. Now, i'm not saying that just because you live there collecting is easy, it's just that you have two things less to worry about. With the rising in the shipping costs and the prices of the minimates themselves it's really hard to keep up with current releases.

What i'm saying is that re-releasing a figure will not do you any harm. Let's say that an inhumans box set happens. By that logic you don't want black bolt or lockjaw in there, but how can you sell thesepacks without the two most well known members of the team? And what harm would a new gambit or black panther or even moon knight would do? I'm not saying re-release them in the exact same costumes. Gambit's modern costume is simmiliar to the 90's one but yet it's different. A new black panther with the more agile costume is needed. Or a new hercules with a new powerhouse chestpiece. Retreads are not bad. Chances are that we'll be getting a retread once in a every ten or so waves. So if the black panther was included in an avengers wave, i'd gladly take him over dr druid.

Sometimes re-releases are needed to bring in new collectors. Let's say a kid starts collecting at wave 60. Shouldn't a new gambit be released because you have the one that was released in wave 28? "Sorry kiddo, you should have explored the internet and the aisles of your tru better". Another option is buying some mates of the boards which i have done and have scored some pretty awesome deals. But a new collector won't immediatelly scour the internet to find this forum, then explore the flea market, post in the threads to prove he's not a scammer and then buy the fig he wants. Not that it's hard, it's just that it may not cross his mind.

So to summarize, re-releases of the exact same costumes do belong in the best of series, but re-releases of CHARACTERS but in DIFFERENT COSTUMES should happen in the regular waves.

PS: I'm using the term "you" generally. Not you presonally, this word represents everyone. For example i have 90's wolvie and don't think an update is needed. Some new collector though would like to see an re-released figure. So that puts me in the "you" category. I hope i explained it correctly, english is not my first language. ;)

Edited by Kostisfire

Kostis, we do get refreshes, it just takes time. We just got a refresh on Dr Strange, and people have been asking for that for awhile now.

If it's a strongly demanded, *strong-selling* character, then it happens, like Deadpool. Moon Knight isn't very demanded right now, and honestly I'd rather see Deathlok who hasn't been done yet before a refresh of an older character like Moon Knight.

When it comes to niche characters, then DST is potentially competing with itself when older versions are plentiful on ebay. Only so many people are willing to buy certain characters, but the core ones always sell. That's why characters like Moon Knight won't be showing up in "best of" series.

I get what you're saying about rereleases not doing any harm. But that's the wrong question - the question is will rereleases do any good? When the answer is yes, they find their way into release, like the recent Dr Strange. They don't necessarily do harm, but they do take up a slot and they need to sell. Is the demand currently strong enough that it's worth bumping another character or new look to get an updated version back on shelves, and which decision will lead to stronger sales? A majority of us would buy a new Deathlok before a refresh of Moon Knight we might likely have sitting on our shelves already. It sucks to pay markup prices off ebay for older stuff, but at least it exists. So profitably speaking, it makes more sense to go with the new for DST.

I feel for you, and I wish we could all have access to everything that gets released at reasonable prices. I'd love to pick up extras for customs from plenty of older releases. But we're in the minority.

As a collector that's been there from the beginning, I painfully remember the times of being on edge wondering if the line was being cancelled. If we ever lose TRU, I'll be concerned again. And I am still missing some things, but they are still out there and available. I'd hate to see DST go the way of Hasbro's Star Wars where almost everything was a refresh and you got that wishlist figure maybe once or twice a year. I don't need another SpiderMan variant, but they are good for the line so I am okay with them. I'd prefer another character in his place, but if he sells well enough to get me Songbird, etc, then I deal.

But it would be retail suicide to remake every character done so far for the new collectors that missed out. It will only happen where it makes sense.

I've never had the paint rub off of any Minimate I own. In fact, I think minimates "hold up" better then any other line I've collected.

It makes me wonder if he's being sold cheap knock-offs.

I've never had the paint rub off of any Minimate I own. In fact, I think minimates "hold up" better then any other line I've collected.

The only paint rub off I have had was Lion-O.

The paint has chipped off rather than ribbed off. I used a poor choice of words,sorry. It doesn't happen to all of the minimates parts, only at the elbow joint. And most of my minimates come from Luke so they aren't knockoffs. The things i bought from ebay come from the menagerie and the few i've bought from other ebay sellers came in sealed packages.

Kostis, we do get refreshes, it just takes time. We just got a refresh on Dr Strange, and people have been asking for that for awhile now.

If it's a strongly demanded, *strong-selling* character, then it happens, like Deadpool. Moon Knight isn't very demanded right now, and honestly I'd rather see Deathlok who hasn't been done yet before a refresh of an older character like Moon Knight.

When it comes to niche characters, then DST is potentially competing with itself when older versions are plentiful on ebay. Only so many people are willing to buy certain characters, but the core ones always sell. That's why characters like Moon Knight won't be showing up in "best of" series.

I get what you're saying about rereleases not doing any harm. But that's the wrong question - the question is will rereleases do any good? When the answer is yes, they find their way into release, like the recent Dr Strange. They don't necessarily do harm, but they do take up a slot and they need to sell. Is the demand currently strong enough that it's worth bumping another character or new look to get an updated version back on shelves, and which decision will lead to stronger sales? A majority of us would buy a new Deathlok before a refresh of Moon Knight we might likely have sitting on our shelves already. It sucks to pay markup prices off ebay for older stuff, but at least it exists. So profitably speaking, it makes more sense to go with the new for DST.

I feel for you, and I wish we could all have access to everything that gets released at reasonable prices. I'd love to pick up extras for customs from plenty of older releases. But we're in the minority.

As a collector that's been there from the beginning, I painfully remember the times of being on edge wondering if the line was being cancelled. If we ever lose TRU, I'll be concerned again. And I am still missing some things, but they are still out there and available. I'd hate to see DST go the way of Hasbro's Star Wars where almost everything was a refresh and you got that wishlist figure maybe once or twice a year. I don't need another SpiderMan variant, but they are good for the line so I am okay with them. I'd prefer another character in his place, but if he sells well enough to get me Songbird, etc, then I deal.

But it would be retail suicide to remake every character done so far for the new collectors that missed out. It will only happen where it makes sense.

What you're sayin about obscure characters is true. I'm not talking about putting rereleases in every pack, that'd be a wasted slot. But every ten waves or so i'd like to see an updated look for a character that got released one time only. Moon knight could benefit from an update and is vissually interesting so he could sell some packs. Sure,there are more high profile characters that need an update or characters who never got a minimate but some certain re-releases are needed to keep the line friendly to new collectors.

The paint has chipped off rather than ribbed off. I used a poor choice of words,sorry. It doesn't happen to all of the minimates parts, only at the elbow joint. And most of my minimates come from Luke so they aren't knockoffs. The things i bought from ebay come from the menagerie and the few i've bought from other ebay sellers came in sealed packages.

>Kostis, we do get refreshes, it just takes time. We just got a refresh on Dr Strange, and people have been asking for that for awhile now.

What you're sayin about obscure characters is true. I'm not talking about putting rereleases in every pack, that'd be a wasted slot. But every ten waves or so i'd like to see an updated look for a character that got released one time only. Moon knight could benefit from an update and is vissually interesting so he could sell some packs. Sure,there are more high profile characters that need an update or characters who never got a minimate but some certain re-releases are needed to keep the line friendly to new collectors.

They have kinda been doing that, and I imagine it'll continue.

There was a mention of a list, years ago during my Toy Biz collecting days, that mentioned an internal listing of the Top Ten Marvel characters for merchandise sales. I don't remember it in total, and this was before the movies so not sure if Cap or Thor were even on the list, but I do remember The Thing was on that list, as well as the usual suspects Spidey, Wolverine, etc. I imagine it might have changed a bit, but I'm sure there's a form of Top Ten that someone pops up from in every wave.