UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Agents Of Shield Minimates Speculation Thread

kaipo

Men and women in normal clothes has been tried before and will be tried again but we're talking about Marvel people in normal clothes. ;)

Honestly, I'm not sure how successful Marvel's licensing program has been for MAOS but I certainly haven't seen any toys based on it.

If DST could swing a deal to get all Marvel TV shows from ABC Productions (which would include MAOS and the Netflix series) it might be more worthwhile.

Season 2 of MAOS may bring some more colorful characters. Or at least some alternate uniforms given SHIELD's new director.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely not arguing that it can't be done, I'm saying more that for this particular license, these are probably some of the least interesting choices you could make. Even the new X-Force box set, which I think is almost completely unnecessary, has a lot more interesting visual appeal to it than these would.

Considering that we've been the only people even attempting to make products for any of Fox's X-Films for the past few years, I think slamming us for making Hugh Jackman toys and not Clark Gregg toys is a bit unfair.

If any superheroes show up in Agents of SHIELD, maybe it's something we'd go after. I enjoy it for what it is, ratings seem to be good.

If any pictures are revealed from the Netflix stuff, maybe it's something we'd go after. I'm sure it'll be great, but you want to at least see a picture or two.

And as others have pointed out, we have a Marvel license that many believe we're already underserving. It seems like most would rather we concentrate on 616. It's a "Careful what you wish for" situation.

I have to agree with you on the 616 vs. MCU statement Zach. Although I love all of the movie 'Mates that DST puts out I would also like to see more from the comics. I personally think it would be cool to get figs from the Netflix series (I mean who doesn't want an MCU Daredevil to go with the other figs?). But with that being said, I just don't see DST touching either those shows or AOS. The audience for both of the shows are the older fans, not kids. While I'm sure some of the Minimate market is adults, you have to consider the kids. When you think about MCU vs. comic, the comic designs and characters are a bit more inviting to kids. I think the closest we are going to get is the "Best of" Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Daredevil. They're colorful, from the comics, and launching at the perfect time to sell to kids who will watch the Netflix shows. It's the best of both worlds!

Being a HUGE fan of the Marvel Movies, Movie 'Mates, AoS and the concept of Netflix shows that tie into the MCU, I agree that it's probably not a huge priority to get AoS Minimates. Most of them are really easy to throw together with spare parts, the designs aren't really that inspiring or "toy friendly". I think out of all the Agents cast, I'd only really want Deathlok, and that's mainly because I don't have a "scarred black guy head" hanging around for fodder. The Netflix shows, those MAY be worth going after because, like CBMM1 said, the idea of an MCU Daredevil and that lot is just really cool. I'm not huge into the Marvel comics anymore, but I think the fact that DST has pumped out 56 waves of 'Mates now is just really inspiring. Especially the way they got out figures who would never be made in any other line. I'd rather see DST keep up their amazing diversity for the comic fans than put out more civilians in street clothes.

Considering that we've been the only people even attempting to make products for any of Fox's X-Films for the past few years, I think slamming us for making Hugh Jackman toys and not Clark Gregg toys is a bit unfair.

(Where to begin…?)

• To be fair, DST has made Hugh Jackman and Clark Gregg toys, one of only three manufacturers to do both that I know of.
  • Marvel's actively avoiding promoting Fox's X-Men (and for that matter Fantastic Four) movies so kudos to DST for offering product based on them anyway.
  • Wolverine sells, there's no denying it. Thanks to Hugh Jackman's portrayal of the character in movies, retailers in the specialty and mass markets are willing to stock toys of "men and women in normal clothes." My only point was that if MAOS managed to get Jackman to show up even in a relatively nondescript fashion, it might generate enough interest to get retailers to buy into MAOS Minimates.

Sorry if I hit a nerve. I was commenting more about the market's willingness to embrace Hugh Jackman in street clothes and trying to use that to MAOS's advantage. And I specifically said "Hugh Jackman" instead of "Wolverine" because I'm aware that MAOS can't even use the M-word let alone have Logan/Wolvie show up, but there might still be a sneaky way to get around it. (Close-up of Jackman on Coulson's desk monitor signing off; Skye asks who it was; Coulson replies, "An old friend.")

Forgive my fan-wanking.

Sorry if I misread, your comment came off as you stating that our own willingness to make toys of Wolverine was far stronger than our desire to take a chance on a hit ABC TV show, and it sounded a lot more negative in my head. But I see what you were going for on re-reading.

Serves me right for coming in here. I should stick to threads about real things, not hypotheticals, although the hypotheticals tend to take over the real threads often enough. headslap.gif

No problem. I'm sure I could have been clearer.

I just can't buy the arguments that DST won't make Minimates of hobos or people in regular clothes when they've done both with Wolverine. Obviously if a property is popular enough, DST's going to take advantage of it, otherwise there's not much sense in having the license.

I never really expected DST to jump on MAOS from the start. I certainly wouldn't have recommended it unless it was already part of the existing agreement (like Thief of Thieves was with Skybound) and not until the demand was adequately gauged and warranted the expense. Like I said, if DST could get a deal with ABC Productions for ALL five Marvel shows and the mini-series, then I'd consider it.

DST's obviously done a remarkable job getting the 616 Marvel Universe to us. MAOS and the upcoming Netflix series could end up being more popular as some other, riskier properties DST already has. We'll see.

Who cares about MAOS when we can get Hickman's Shield right now? Seriously, who here doesn't want Cyborg Tesla, Steampunk Da Vinci, secret Agents Howard Stark and Nathaniel Richards? And let us not forget glowing nude Michael Angelo and the Colossus of Rhodes robot. Zach, get Chuck to start working on these! I can't be the only one who loved this comic, now can I?

Who cares about MAOS when we can get Hickman's Shield right now? Seriously, who here doesn't want Cyborg Tesla, Steampunk Da Vinci, secret Agents Howard Stark and Nathaniel Richards? And let us not forget glowing nude Michael Angelo and the Colossus of Rhodes robot. Zach, get Chuck to start working on these! I can't be the only one who loved this comic, now can I?

I enjoyed the first hardcover. I would take mates!

Who the what now?

SHIELD: Architects of Tomorrow

EDIT:

Essentially the greatest minds of the 14th? Century come together and stop Galactus? During the 8 missing days from the switch to the Gregorian calendar.

It has been a while since I read it :D

Edited by Onyx_6

Well, from the Agents of SHIELD tv series, I can say all I'd really like is an updated Coulson. Now, if we were talking about the not-much-known-about-yet-upcoming Agent Carter SHIELD series, then the possibility of the Howling Commandos appearing would be a welcome minimate addition.

Yeah, that was a great book.

Too bad Hickman still hasn't finished it (though I think he finished the script a while ago). It had real potential and after New Avengers ends, that's the direction I'd like them to take with the new volume. If they continue to publish an Illuminati book after Hickman's departure that is.

Who the what now?

The greatest minds of the world band together and create a secret organization. The book goes back and forth between the 50s and each characters respective time period. Their goal is to protect the Earth, though there are some disagreements towards the end of Vol 1 and... I really recommend it as a book.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...