UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Sdcc 2013 Exclusives Speculation Thread

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was absolutely not criticizing negative comments, nor implying that they should not be made in a public, independent forum. I was just mentioning the kind of comments I truly didn't like, since somebody had referred to this thread as "Zach's new least favorite." Constructive criticism, or saying why you don't like something -- in other words, your opinion -- is perfectly fine. I just hate the simple "Pass" or "I'm not buying this" or "that saves me $20" comments. That's not an opinion, that's budgeting. If you said, "I feel like I would get more for my money from Product X" or "I don't think I need this because I have Product Y," that's an opinion.

And I only delete specific kinds of comments on our Facebook page. Comments that are dismissive, and don't add to the conversation? Yeah, I delete them. Maybe I shouldn't, as they might provoke a response from someone, but I think they're unnecessary negativity on an official company page. I'll admit that my tolerance for those kinds of comments varies from day to day, but I think I've mellowed a bit. I also delete comments that call people (or me, or DST) names, use foul language and promote or denigrate products made by other companies.

Another way to set me off is apparently to use the word "pegwarmer" a lot. Especially in regards to a very recent release or an upcoming release. I got my buttons pushed on the Fwoosh recently, and responded with misinterpreted humor. I'm only human, in spite of my avatar.

The one exclusive I'm looking forward to most is probably the stands. I'm committing to displaying my collection after years of being put in tackle boxes and need about a thousand of those little pegged discs. (But I'll probably start with a couple hundred.)

I think your opinion is totally understandable Zach, I just wanted to comment from another perspective, because I think there is a legitimate place for those posts, even if they don't include additional elaboration. If I were in your shoes I'm sure I would feel the same way. And I think it is important to folks to realize that just as you may take some things a bit personally, collectors sometimes tend to commodify the whole industry to such an extent that they also forget there are people who are involved in the creative and business process. This is particularly relevant on the 1/6 scale forum I frequent, as sometimes the guys who do the sculpting or tailoring will be involved in discussions. It becomes an even trickier line to walk when an artist is involved. But in general, these are things being made to sell, so there is that dynamic between customers and businesses that will affect the way people discuss these things as they would any other theoretical widget industry.

Regarding "pegwarmer," I personally sometimes use that term describe something that doesn't sell. It happens with nearly any line of collectibles. It is just an economical way to describe something with one word instead of multiple words, and I don't take it to be a pejorative. Again, I get why you might feel otherwise, but I've never thought it was a real slight to a company unless used in a larger, more explicitly judgmental or offensive context.

Edited by karamazov80

Plenty of time for the NOW and movie versions (and hopefully the last incarnation as well) in the coming year with the film being released. In the previous Alpha Flight vein, I'd love a classic Guardians of the Galaxy as a 2-part exclusive:

SDCC 4-pack:

Vance Astro

Martinex

Badoon army builder

Nikki

NYCC 4-pack:

Yondu

Starhawk

Charlie-27

Korvac (machine or god-version)

Or just make one 4-pack and one 2-pack, eliminating Korvac and the Badoon.

Now that double set of classic guardians is something I would love to see!! Probably my most wanted unmade team along with the inhumans and the original young avengers, in that order.

I think my main issue with "pegwarmer" is that people are quick to say something isn't selling. Let those pegs get a little warm! And Best of Marvel Minimates is in constant production. If a retailer is smart about ordering, he can always have a full peg of Wolverines in his store. On purpose.

I want the info on these stands. How many in set and how much a set? Because I need to know how much I need for about 450 figures?

i can't STAND the wait either...

I can say this...peg warmer today Missed opportunity tomorrow! that is the beauty of minimates no matter what minimate that comes out. love it or hate it. I always find something I can use for a part swap or quick custom.

I have been guilty of saying "pass" before. but it is generally because I was hoping for someone different but I ALWAYS am impressed after I see them on the pegs.

now having said all this. I promise to not just say pass anymore.

I can say this...peg warmer today Missed opportunity tomorrow!

Happens all the time, with Minimates and other lines. Hot Toys Two Face was $80, now it's $300 or so. For a Few Dollars More Minimates was clearanced out for $5, now you'd have a hard time finding one for less than $50. But at the time, they were what they were.

Stands will be in bags of 24, I believe. Not sure if we're doing large and small, but I believe we're doing clear and black.

Pretty sure we're also doing 12 action bases.

do you know what the pricing will look like?

Will these stands be sold after comic con as well or more of a show exclusive? Because maybe I should buy more then I need for future investments.

i was thinking the same thing

When does the Game of Thrones license get announced?

You guys missed that announcement?

First Box Set:

Aegon The Conqueror, Bran The Builder, Tom of Sevenstrings, Lyanna Stark

The "Tom Bombadil" set

I don't even give a damn if that's the first ever Game of Thrones set. I don't give one single damn. I will buy it. Hell yes I will buy it.