UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Sdcc 2013 Exclusives Speculation Thread

Are kids de-sensitized to mutilated undead killers with rotting flesh, but still not comfortable with cross-dressers? I'm out of touch with the kids these days, but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe that whole, US is OK with blood lust but not any weird sex/gender stuff thing while Europeans are the opposite thing

Yes, this is 100%, precisely true.

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I don;t know if that Deadpool would have made us say "Let's make that old-school Jean Grey figure!" I imagine the MArvel Now Jean Grey would trump that look in a heartbeat.

Not surprising, but extremely disappointing to hear.

Marvel Now Jean Grey has already been made. It's the Jean Grey from the X-Men 1st Apperance boxset.

Gotta voice my support for a marvel girl Jean Grey it's her only major costume left to make.

The sight of Deadpool dressed as Marvel Girl made me want to throw up. Literally. I get people wanting comic-accurate stuff, but that would have made this entire set unpalatable to a wide variety of buyers, including children.

The Hub disagrees.

I think kids – especially fans of Deadpool – would love it, at least as much as fans of Alfred E. Newman love him as Wonder Woman. I think it's a certain segment of adult collectors you may be concerned about.

Happy to know there will be clear stands instead of black ones. Now I just need a way to get them online.

Oh, and sorry, everybody, I was wrong -- we ARE making a bag of 24 clear stands. Hard plastic, like Walking Dead. Now I'm wondering if I made up the black ones -- it may just be clear. Will confirm today.

Whoo Hoo! Now I just need to find a way to buy them :)

There were no tactics. The idea that ANYONE might feel pressured to buy a similar Tony figure to one they already have and a character we've made twice before never crossed our minds. It was all about what would make the coolest box set, and an 8-pack was not considered, that I know of. Once you have Tony in there, Pepper was the logical choice. We'd only read the script at that point, so I don't think we even fully realized how big a role she would have in the film. We may have said, "hey, here's a place to put Pepper, since we left her out of the main assortment, awesome" but that was it. If it had been Happy, and we didn't make Pepper at all, would that have been better? Not sure who else we could have done.

If you're an in-package collector, you're probably gonna want to get the set. If you're just a character completist, you may not want to get the set. But if you collect every single Marvel movie Minimate, including all the variations of everybody, and take them out of the package, then yeah, you might need to buy some figures you don't want. But this was not done to gouge that subset of collector.

But I believe someone pointed out the battle-damaged Mark 3 is new, and all of the armors have blank heads underneath, if that helps. So there are 3-10 new figures here, depending.

Buying "some" minimates we don't want has always been part of the game. It's always more palatable when they are army builders, like the dump cases were. And if this were a 4-pack, I wouldn't complain as much, just like when we got the repeated Avengers to get Kang and Grim Reaper. This really isn't "some", this is a lot. It's easier to part with $20 than it is with $55. If they were all new armors, except maybe 1-2 repeats, then I'd be all over this set (yes, even repaints on old molds). The fact that it didn't cross anyone's mind at DST that the long-term fans might not be happy is precisely why I feel the need to verbalize my feelings.

For any new fans, this is indeed a "Hot Sex!" box set. I really, really hope it does well and more importantly brings new fans in.

But really, are there boxed collectors only here? I understand a few sets being left in package when they're really well done. But Minimates just beg to be opened and played with / displayed!

And again, all bets are off when you make a unique version of a character *that happens to be the best version made to date!* Pepper really looks fantastic.

The sight of Deadpool dressed as Marvel Girl made me want to throw up. Literally. I get people wanting comic-accurate stuff, but that would have made this entire set unpalatable to a wide variety of buyers, including children.

The Hub disagrees.

I think kids – especially fans of Deadpool – would love it, at least as much as fans of Alfred E. Newman love him as Wonder Woman. I think it's a certain segment of adult collectors you may be concerned about.

Happy to know there will be clear stands instead of black ones. Now I just need a way to get them online.

And there's no controversy there?

I can totally understand not wanting to sell cross-dressing versions of popular characters to kids, because the parents are more likely to get pissed than the kids. Those people still do exist. And Alfred E Newman as Wonder Woman is still aimed at adult collectors.

I'm okay without a DP as Jean Grey. I'd have bought him, but I won't lament his not existing either. But from a business perspective, I understand why he wasn't made.

The Hub disagrees.

And there's no controversy there?

The controversy's coming from the adults, not the kids. That's my point.

As I said, there's a certain segment of adults who might find this offensive but I doubt they'd be bringing their kids to Comic-Con (or even attending themselves) if they were worried about exposing their children to men who wear women's clothing.

I can't believe this is really an issue 70 years after this:

l.sku2684.jpg

The controversy's coming from the adults, not the kids. That's my point.

As I said, there's a certain segment of adults who might find this offensive but I doubt they'd be bringing their kids to Comic-Con (or even attending themselves) if they were worried about exposing their children to men who wear women's clothing.

Heh. You should see how many people bring their children to the West Hollywood Halloween Block Party!

And there will always be a difference between watching and buying toys of cross-dressing characters. Only one Bugs Bunny from your picture has been made as a figure. As much as you & I and other's here won't get upset, there's still a chance of upset parents. I certainly don't want any bad publicity to affect Disney's relationship with DST!

Maybe the real difference is this: compare Bugs' legs to DP's scarred hideous legs :)

I get people wanting comic-accurate stuff, but that would have made this entire set unpalatable to a wide variety of buyers, including children. ...Kids like Deapool, right?

What about the severed zombie head from last year? Are kids de-sensitized to mutilated undead killers with rotting flesh, but still not comfortable with cross-dressers? I'm out of touch with the kids these days, but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe that whole, US is OK with blood lust but not any weird sex/gender stuff thing while Europeans are the opposite thing?

Well, there's only one hamburger head in the set, and it's under Cap-Pool's mask. Jean Greypool puts it all out there, so to speak.

But that US/Europe thing is true.

Sorry, just read everyone else's comments. Cross-dressing does NOT make me want to throw up. I watch Monty Python, for God's sake.

That much exposed hamburger flesh makes me want to throw up. That, and the panel you showed was a crotch shot. (Shudder.)

Really, I think we just thought Iron Man would be cooler. A traditional mini-skirt Jean Grey is a hard sell already, even without the scar tissue.

(Monty Python has cross-dressing?)

I don't think a mini-skirted Deadpool Minimate would have nearly the kind of impact (if only due to the limited range of motion) that the illustration enjoyed. It would probably be a disappointment to those perverts enthusiasts hoping to recreate that specific pose.

And Deadpool's mask makes him pretty genderless. No hair, no stubble, just an asexual cowl than covers his messed-up noggin. Non-fans probably thought this was a transgender Deadpool.

I'll be getting the set, especially now that I see there are four comic-inspired designs. I'll likely find other uses for the armor, though.

What I do like about the Phonics-Killer armor is that it appears to be perfectly useable with any black-outfitted mate. Unlike the Phoenix-Killer, which needed the shiny red body. So that sweet X-Men DP will be displayed, and PK Armor will go to any one of my extras without being noticeable.

So, Anyone buying an extra Venom TTA set to make a more fully-transformed Wolverine Venom can use another figure from that set to display their PK Armor.

Zach - What color are the blank heads in the IM3 10-pack armors?

Isnt there supposed to be another armoured figure due. I seem to remember in the Wolverine TTA thread mention of 2 non comic accurate figures after the Wolvie Space armour. If Deadpool is one that means there is another due? Or am I just having a senior moment!

There is another armored figure coming that is kinda-sorta based on teh comics, but we did our own thing with it, like here.

OH, and I was right about two things and wrong about another thing.

24 Black stands. 24 Clear stands. 8 flight/energy stands + 2 more clear stands. Each will be $4.

This is the one I forgot:

acc0613_lg.jpg

There is another armored figure coming that is kinda-sorta based on teh comics, but we did our own thing with it, like here.

OH, and I was right about two things and wrong about another thing.

24 Black stands. 24 Clear stands. 8 flight/energy stands + 2 more clear stands. Each will be $4.

Wait, so that's 48 stands? Or are the 24 black sold seperately from the 24 clear?

$4? HOT SEX!!

Thing-pool! Dead-pocalypse! Dead-slaught! Armored Spider-pool!

teehee.gif

You forgot Swimming pool, and his socially awkward cousin, Pocket-pool!