UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Sdcc 2013 Exclusives Speculation Thread

Or: Zach's new least favorite MMMV thread.thumbsup.gif

So I know that DST doesn't usually announce their exclusives until we get closer to the big show, but others have started, and it's whetted my appitite for what we might be getting this year. So let the mindless, uniformed speculation commence!

- I feel reasonably certain that the 4th Thundercats set will be AFX's exclusives; the big question is whether they will have a Marvel exclusive or not. Traditionally, of course, they've had a set that compliments the DST one.

-Of course, Iron Man and Wolverine are the big movies this summer, so we might see sets based on those. On the other hand, the Thor: Stormbreaker set doesn't look like it was one of the more successful exclusive sets, and DST didn't do Avengers related exclusives last year. My hunch is that we are going to see more Marvel Now sets, with Uncanny Avengers seeming like the logical choice. Cap, Thor, Rogue,and Havok in one set, with Wolvie, Sunfire, Wasp and the Scarlet Witch in the other?

-My dark horse, though: Guardians of the Galaxy. The property's profile is very high right now, and this might be the classic time to capitalize on the GotG name and follow the Alpha Flight model by completing a team over two sets.

-The one teaser I recall Zach giving us is a mention that there's a new line that will be debuting with a two pack at SDCC. That likely means it's a pretty high profile property, and DST wants to give it the biggest launch possible. This could be anything, but I'm going to engage in a little reckless speculation and guess: '66 Batman. DST is making product, and Zach has been noticably absent from the threads on the subject so far, not even offering a "sorry, no Minimates yet". So... could it be? Could we see Batman and Robin at the DST booth this year?woot.gif

Any other thoughts/guesses/wild rumors you wish to start?

Edited by hellpop

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not even gonna THINK about getting my hopes up for Batman '66. Not at all. If it happens I'll squee and do cartwheels. But if it doesn't that's okay too. Not gonna look for it. I'll let it be a shock if it comes.

While i'd LOVE for Batman '66 to be on the table, i would be very *VERY* surprised if DC allowed this to happen. They are clearly not interested in minimates at the moment.

Guardians of the Galaxy might be a little bit soon. I think DST would be more likely to release these closer to the films debut.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong on both of these though.

Marvel Now seems like a solid choice - and Uncanny Avengers does seem to be one of the stronger titles. A Box set or two to round out the team would be cool. It'd offer up a couple of Heavy Hitters and also tick a few fan-boy boxes if it could include Modern Wasp & Sunfire.

Brotherhood of Mutants seems to have been talked about a bit this last year.... maybe it's finally their time to shine.

My personal wish-list would be to see an Alpha Flight-style release with a couple of box-sets dedicated to either 90's X-Factor or the Mutant Liberation Front. It's highly unlikely, but that's my dream :)

Batman ’66 being the two pack for the ‘unannounced’ license makes so much sense, I’ve been preparing myself for the disappointment when it’s not... there’s lot of things DST has the license for I want minimates of (say, the rest of the Munsters to go with Herman) DST either can’t or won’t make minimates of and I’m pretty sure Mr.West will be one of them...

(ugh... and now I just remembered how amazing the Munsters Koach turned out and how great a MAX ’66 Bat-mobile would be.. the PAIN IN MY HEART IS UNBEARABLE!)

I don’t care to speculate on the rest because there’s too many different things a Marvel or Walking Dead 4-pack could be made up of... but my heart says Batman ’66 and my brain says ‘you know it’s not Batman ’66, right?’

He actually said, "sorry, no Minimates yet" on Facebook regarding Batman '66 Minimates.

I'm liking the Uncanny Avengers mixes you've got, because it allows them to do a Wolvie and a Thor Minimate of some kind at the convention. However, UA isn't as "everyone knows about it" big as AvX was last year, and it also burns off a lot of heavy hitters they could use for future LCS/TRU waves.

I think you're right about the Thor Stormbreaker set being kind of a bust and them not taking that kind of chance again. I'm wondering: could the Wolvie set we've seen be an SDCC exclusive? I think I recall Zach saying something about not getting the retail support they wanted, and having to go through another channel to get it distributed... I don't know, maybe I'm misremembering.

I've been reading Peter David's recent run on X-Factor, and it's got me wanting AFX to "pull an Alpha Flight" and knock out that team this year, either the 90s version or the modern one. We've already got modern Madrox, but they do seem to like doing the vintage stuff.

Edited by Lobsterman

If we had the Batman license, I would have announced Minimates in our press release. Not waited to announce it later. It's a very crowded playing field over there. I've stayed out of the threads so as not to fuel the fire, but maybe I should have brought a bucket of sand.

And I did confirm a TWD 4-pack in the Daily Dead interview.

He actually said, "sorry, no Minimates yet" on Facebook regarding Batman '66 Minimates.

Well, see, I'm not on Facebook... so there you go.

X-Factor would be a really good idea too. Box set with Havok, Polaris, Strong Guy and Wolvesbane, TRU complimentary pack with Quicksilver and Multiple Man. That would work. 'Fraid you'll have to make your own Val Cooper, though.

'Fraid you'll have to make your own Val Cooper, though.

Unless you put her in an NYCC boxset with Madrox, Quicksilver, and Random instead.

Oh the howls we would hear about putting an army builder in a boxset...

Edited by Lobsterman

Lobby's right: There were enough characters to warrant 2 box sets, but we could still leave Madrox out for a LCS army builder:

Maybe something like Havok, Wolsbane, Val & Random in one set. Strong Guy, Forge, Polaris & Quicksilver in the other...

I honestly doubt we'd see Uncanny Avengers Scarlet Witch, Captain America and Wolverine in a boxset as they are all in TRU Wave 16.

Really hoping AFX does a complete team with one box set at SDCC and the second one at NYCC, X-Factor or the Brotherhood would be awesome.

i seriously doubt we wont see marvel, im pretty sure the last 5 or 6 years have all had marvel exclusives.

Im guessing 2-3 marvel sets (4-packs or 2-packs)

1. being a movie tie in

2. being Marvel Now

3. being an event/comic specific or Marvel Now

we are seeing a TWD set as Zach already mentioned

I could see the Lost in Space two pack being an SDCC exclusive

Iim also hoping for an Invincible exclusive set, whether it be a 4-pack (maybe GoG? or Teen Team?) or even just a two pack of Invincibles modern costume and maybe Dinosaurus or Angstrom Levy

I honestly doubt we'd see Uncanny Avengers Scarlet Witch, Captain America and Wolverine in a boxset as they are all in TRU Wave 16.

That won't matter, because they're being sold to different markets. DST likes to get characters with wide appeal into the con exclusives, because they are hoping to reach casual buyers.

Squadron Supreme 4-pack set 1, and Defenders Hellcat/Nighthawk 2-pack. Both extremely overdue, and DST should be ASHAMED of themselves for neglecting them for so long. *wags finger in their direction*

New license:

Screw you, Kre-O

Edited by karamazov80

Honestly, I don't hate speculation, its fun seeing how close you guys get, I just like to manage expectations. You guys come up with your dream set, then are disappointed when we aren't making it.

Honestly, my least favorite thread is any thread in which someone feels the need to say "pass." Not because I want everyone to buy every set, it just irks me when people feel the need to announce their disinterest. Pet peeve, I guess. So now you know how to get under my skin. :)