UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Very Casual Custom Project, Thinktank Needed

I want to make myself some Studio Ghibli Minimates. (This is a completely personal project, mind you. No official DST connection.) I am not gonna sculpt anything, but I am willing to paint a few things if the whim strikes me. I have no timeline, but I thought people might enjoy the challenge of helping me find the right parts. I'll update this on a semi-regular basis.

2868-1899313512.jpg

Pazu from Castle in the Sky (not worrying about short arms and legs)

- Sergeant Johnson hat

- J. Jonah vest and rolled-up sleeves

- Green Goblin pouch

- AIM blaster

- Face?

I'm going to think about my next one, suggestions and recipes welcome.

Edited by DSTZach

Face... If you can find one... Speed Racer?

T.

I briefly thought that the lack of anime-style Minimates might handicap me here, but I'm thinking Ghibli's faces might be able to squeak by with many standard Mates. Like Peter Parker, for instance, although earlier Mates might work better.

acc1091_lg.jpg

For the face,I would suggest using Unmasked Spiderman's.
fig1180f2lg.jpg

Hail Ivan.

Face... If you can find one... Speed Racer?

T.

I briefly thought that the lack of anime-style Minimates might handicap me here, but I'm thinking Ghibli's faces might be able to squeak by with many standard Mates. Like Peter Parker, for instance, although earlier Mates might work better.

acc1091_lg.jpg

WOW! Looks like we both had similar ideas! Posted at the same time,too! cx

The problem with the Ray face is that it's a fat guy face. Not trying to be mean, but it is. Sorry Dan Ackroyd!

MvC is probably going to be your best source for faces. Zero obviously, but there's a couple other Anime inspired ones, I think. Or maybe they're in SFvT. Video games aren't my thing. Or anime, really.

Glad to see you starting a custom thread, though. Just one more step down the path! Next, you'll have to make a post in the trade thread. BTW, if you're interested, I made a Nausicaa decal a while ago from a Lego template I found, and I'd be happy to share it.

Whatever you use I'd scratch off the cheek bones.

I've gotta second this. To pull of the almost-anime look, avoid faces with cheekbones. At least for the protagonists.

Edited by Cappy

MvC is probably going to be your best source for faces. Zero obviously, but there's a couple other Anime inspired ones, I think. Or maybe they're in SFvT. Video games aren't my thing. Or anime, really.

Glad to see you starting a custom thread, though. Just one more step down the path! Next, you'll have to make a post in the trade thread. BTW, if you're interested, I made a Nausicaa decal a while ago from a Lego template I found, and I'd be happy to share it.

Yes, I'd love to see it! I thought I had searched this forum, but perhaps not? Thanks for the tip on Zero. Will check all of the Capcom and Tekken ones, too. Classic SF, perhaps!

fig1287h250.jpgfig1289h250.jpgfig1250h250.jpgfig0302h250.jpgfig1582h250.jpgfig1599h250.jpg

attachicon.giffig0557flg.jpg Marty (Biff & Marty exclusive pack)

.....the BSG Classic Apollo needs to be looked at.

Good luck with finding a loose Speed Racer ,they're about..... especially with the car.... but very elusive on ebay by himself.

Wow. Modern Apollo may be more anime than classic Apollo! And all of the Martys are pretty much anime-style. Thanks, BHM!

And HAIL IVAN!

fig0428h100.jpgfig0431h100.jpgfig0556h100.jpgfig1060h100.jpgfig0553h100.jpgfig0840h100.jpg

Edited by DSTZach

Realizing most of my custom fodder (including BTTF, MvC3, etc.) is on a pallet in a warehouse somewhere with the rest of the museum.

May need to improvise!

See. You shouldn't have had me just sweep everything into plastic bags.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Zach, here's the Nausicca decals I promised you:

post-1943-0-91051100-1369246782_thumb.jppost-1943-0-53899700-1369246781_thumb.jp

These are resized from a lego decal I found a while back. She's a bit high waisted, I'm afraid. I can recrop that for you if you'd like... for a price. By which I mean you asking politely.smile.png

I also have a Star Blazers decal somewhere too, I think, if you (or anyone else) is interested. I'll post it in the decal thread.