UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Minimate Cookbook is coming...

Jeff

Thanks!

Yeah I'm not a fan of cooking myself (like the time I accidentally added powdered sugar instead of flour to a recipe, my wife never let me live that one down)- but I thought the name was catchy enough.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm not a fan of cooking myself (like the time I accidentally added powdered sugar instead of flour to a recipe, my wife never let me live that one down)- but I thought the name was catchy enough.

haha... have to agree the name was a stroke of genius.

• 1 month later...

Well....it's a sad day.

The Minimate Cookbook is no more. I'll keep the existing site up for those of you who still want to view the recipes but I won't be posting any more new recipes to the site.

The reason? It seems some aren't cool with using existing images even if you properly credit them and link to their site which BENEFITS everyone here. I just don't get it. Isn't that the whole point of this site- of collecting Minimates and sharing with others??

How is what I'm doing any different from people posting the exact same images here? huh.png

Did you get specific permission from Ivan to use his photos on your blog? If not, that is probably why he has asked you to stop. Ivan pays for the hosting and bandwidth of the Minimate Database from his own pockets, and anytime a picture is used from his hosted site, it's taking up his bandwidth. If you download and rehost his photos on your own site, that is also a no-no as that is Ivan's property.

Your cookbook idea is a good idea, but there are threads here dedicated to similar things (making quick customs from existing parts), but Ivan owns his images and is entitled to stop asking that you reuse them without having his express written permission. As for linking to his images here at the MMMV, it is something he has expressly allowed MMMV members to do. The MMDB is a huge resource for all of us, so please don't poke the bear.

Ah.

See the reason I did the site is so I wouldn't be choking up this forum with my images. So essentially, I did it backwards.

I did originally ask Ivan (and thought he'd be fine with it as it would direct more people to his and lukes sites). He took awhile to get back to me but I was so sure he'd be fine with it that I posted anyway. I got greedy. My bad.

Man.....Between this, PO DST Zach that one time, and that one unfortunate trade I made years ago.....ban.gif

I really need to just stick to viewing the internet like everyone else and leave it at that.

I don't think you have anything to worry about Jeff, and I'm sure Zach probably has forgotten about whatever you are referencing, he's not the type to hold a grudge.

I don't see any reason why the cookbook blog has to go away, just tweak it so you aren't using Ivan's photos. Odds are very good that anyone taking the time to make custom Minimates already knows about Ivan's site and would know where to look to see the parts you are incorporating into your recipes. :thumbsup:

Thanks- but I think it's run it's course. I'm a very visual person and without the images- it'd just be text (as I don't finish the actual custom). I'll just stick to posting ideas/customs here (meaning my own custom thread) from now on.

I agree with YB's estimation of the whole situation. Ivan does amazing work and helps all of us in an incredible way. And while I get your point, I also got his.

Anyway, I'd encourage you to keep the cookbook up. Why not post the parts in hand and the actual custom in the end. Sticking to your own pics is always the safest way to do. You could also colaborate with the huge customizer crew here. Either ask people to create a 'mate using your recipe, or displaying their work explaining writing down their recipe. Both ways you could stick to your way of running the cookbook with the "this plus this plus this equals this" images and the "you migth need" icons.

Just a thought.