UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Minimate Cookbook is coming...

Jeff

The Minimate Cookbook is coming!

Is DST releasing a book I’m not aware of?

Sadly no. The Minimate Cookbook is a blog I’m creating inspired by all the various customs debuting here on the Multiverse. It’s my way of saying thanks to everyone here who keeps fueling my hobby and making it such a fun one at that. It's essentially a DIY style blog that's unlike anything out there....as far as I know- correct me if I'm wrong! happy.png

How is this different from other custom blogs?

Ah, good question. My blog won’t showcase completed customs. Instead, I wanted The Minimate Cookbook to be just as the title states: a cookbook for how to make your own custom Minimates.

Imagine you and a friend wanted to make a coffee cake from scratch- you’d need the ingredients and most importantly the recipe. Granted, the finished cakes would both be coffee cakes but each one would be slightly different from one another. That is my frame of thinking for this blog. I provide the tools and point of reference with easy do it yourself style graphics and let you paint the canvas, so to speak.

Ultimately, I’d love to showcase the final ‘cooked’ recipes on the site in either the same post or a showcase page to get people more involved and coming back for fresh ideas to spruce up their collection and customizing skills. As much as I want to create EVERY custom that comes to mind- I simply don’t have the time but would still love to share my ideas and tips with those who do in a fun blog that everyone can benefit from.

When is it going to be up and running?

Soon—I hope. I have a few ideas for customs I’ve yet to mention on the forums that I was saving for a rainy day situation- which evolved into this blog. I already have the basic layout and I'm working through some graphic icons to make it all come together.

Thanks for reading! Questions? Comments?

Just visited your Cookbook site and it is nice, looking forward to getting more ideas for my future customizing from it once you add more recipes.

Thank you for making such a site for us to use for ideas and sharing the love of customizing.

Thanks!

I did a couple sketches first and tossed around a few ideas before settling on what I have now. I'm really happy with how it turned out and have a template to do new posts fairly quickly.

I have a few in mind but if anyone has a "love to see...." Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with! (:

MST3K fans....you'll be in for a treat soon...

Now that I have a couple ( a mere three customs posted), I was thinking in the near future of adding a 'baked goods' tab at the top which would showcase pictures of recipes that people actually tried out. Half the fun is coming up with the idea, the other half is seeing it actually made. So- if anyone has the parts,time, and would like to try one out and send me a snapshot, I'll be glad to post it for all to see if you'd like. laugh.png

Looks good so far Jeff, I think your idea about showing peoples attempts, for lack of better word, is a good idea. Looking at the recipes it can be a bit hard to visualise what the finishes mate would look like. Maybe a photoshoped mock up or something with the recipes in future?

Keep up the good work though!

Two things:

-you may want to find more economical choices for some of the parts. All of these so far involve TRU exclusives which makes them more of a commitment then just a rainy day project with spare parts. (and yes, I know when you make a chocolate cake you have to go out and buy chocolate, but sometimes when you want to make *A* cake you just use what’s in the pantry)

-Hugo and Rufus are from Street Fighter, not Tekken and the game the minimates are based on is called “Street Fighter X Tekken”... there’s no reason to call them “Tekken’s...” and it’s driving me nuts.

other then that, fun blog... it’s like the photo recipes ToyFare used to run so that’s always fun!

Thanks.

Toyfare #80's article was one of the many inspirations for the blog. As far as the parts selection goes, I went with what I have in my collection. I've yet to crack the 'this piece is also found with/on character xxx'. So the recipes are just that- they can be modified per the individual. I just wanted to get the ball rolling in the general direction. As far as screwing up the names, my bad. (;

Jeff, it's an awesome site, it's just too bad that there's no follow button for Facebook, so i can get updates on the site

Jeff, this is a really cool site! Even if I don't 100% agree with your recipes, it's still fun to see them; and, really, part of the fun of customizing is seeing what others are doing and making your own adjustments. I think clever parts use is a hallmark of Minimate customizing, and your blog really captures that. Feel free to borrow any of my recipes, if you deem them worthy!