UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Stan the Man

smackman

Are the regular ASM Spidey and Lizard Mates poorly executed? I remember them being pretty well received. So how does ADDING paint apps to them suddenly make them sub-par?

I understand someone not wanting them. I would even understand someone calling them "lazy" -- although I would prefer "easy," since the hard work was already done on the regular releases. But to say the Minimates are of poor quality... Don't confuse quality with individual desirability.

If taking two quality Mates and altering them slightly to make them available to a new, different audience makes them somehow "less than", then I think you have to indict far more than 1% of the line.

Personally I love battle damaged variants and the sewer battle ones were unique that they weren't just regular-old-battle-damaged, they were covered-in-green-sewer-juice-battle-damaged.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lazy was the term I should have used. Sorry for any confusion. I had no problem with the regular versions of movie Spidey or lizard. They turned out to be pretty neat. In all my years of collecting marvel mates I've rarely complained about them, but I stand by what I said. These, to ME, are boring and lazy. I'm speaking for myself, not the whole of the minimate community. It's my own personal opinion. I'm sorry if it doesn't suit you.

DST should have used actual sewage. Maybe then they would have turned out better. tongue.png

I'll take a ' Battle-damaged Sue-er Stan' or a 'Litigation Lee' tongue.png

bhm's/DST's best battle damaged Minimate by a country mile - Mk.3 Iron Man (Hostile Takeover) which is immensely superior to the Wave 21 version .

I agree, that IM hostile takeover mate is the cats pajamas. It's at the very front of my IM mates.thumbsup.gif

bhm's/DST's best battle damaged Minimate by a country mile - Mk.3 Iron Man (Hostile Takeover) which is immensely superior to the Wave 21 version .

I agree, that IM hostile takeover mate is the cats pajamas. It's at the very front of my IM mates.thumbsup.gif
I gave that set to my mate at the weekend for his birthday, his first exposure to minimates, and he absolutely loved them. He honestly couldn't believe his eyes, he kept saying 'how the hell does this exist?!' and 'how have they got so much detail?!' Edited by UK Collector

Agreed. The wave 21/first iron man movie armors are the best (mark

2,3,damaged 3, and stealth). I prefer them to all of the IM2 ones. More

detail (mark 2 rivets....) and more accessories (Removeable faceplates,

alternate legs, fire foot blasts)

Edited by kaipo

Lazy was the term I should have used. Sorry for any confusion. I had no problem with the regular versions of movie Spidey or lizard. They turned out to be pretty neat. In all my years of collecting marvel mates I've rarely complained about them, but I stand by what I said. These, to ME, are boring and lazy. I'm speaking for myself, not the whole of the minimate community. It's my own personal opinion. I'm sorry if it doesn't suit you.

DST should have used actual sewage. Maybe then they would have turned out better. tongue.png

Oh, I know it's all your opinion. And nobody EVER disagrees with a strongly worded opinion on message boards, right? :)

Saying something is boring or lazy is clearly subjective. Saying something is "garbage" is a more general attack on the product we put out. I'll respond to that sort of comment, and defend the product wholeheartedly, at least until TBT kicks me out.

I'm glad you love 99% of all Minimates. But I think calling a product garbage is a strong statement that requires backing up. We went with an easy variation on the two main movie characters to broaden Minimates' exposure. We could have made a Flash Thompson/Rodrigo Guevara two-pack, but opted to make something that non-collectors might want. We also could have released the regular figures with half the paint apps removed, but that would have been... well, you know.

I typed out & then deleted a 'kiss & make up' post hours ago ...........I deleted because I reckoned I'd get blasted from both sides ermm.gif

Zach ,in all fairness smackman said he loved 99.9% of what DST cranks out ......not 99% .....whichever way you look at it he loves his Minimates.

smackman sees that 'garbage' was ....er..unfortunate ....he says so (almost)

...........& then spoils it with the 'actual sewage ' comment laugh.png

I think we are just experiencing a tuning problem .

TBT is my favourite moderator .

I'd never blast you, BHM.

UNLESS YOU CROSS ME.

Believe me, sometimes I step back and realize I'm hung up on the perhaps poorly chosen words of a dedicated Minimates fan, and realize I should have let it go three posts ago. I apologize, smackman. The garbage line REALLY irked me, but I really shouldn't have even acknowledged it.

Back to the topic. THIS Stan variant would sell truckloads. (Give him an iron man gauntlet as well)

Easy to produce, all the parts are reused.

BHdMDVYCUAAIeBZ.jpg

One of Luke's masterpieces....sorry forgot that earlier .

Please QC this Luke.... biggrin.png

Edited by kaipo

I'd never blast you, BHM.

UNLESS YOU CROSS ME.

Believe me, sometimes I step back and realize I'm hung up on the perhaps poorly chosen words of a dedicated Minimates fan, and realize I should have let it go three posts ago. I apologize, smackman. The garbage line REALLY irked me, but I really shouldn't have even acknowledged it.

I admit, garbage was a poor choice of words. I know you stand by yourproduct, not because it's your job, but it's something that you clearlyenjoy doing, and that I respect. I did not mean to offend. The next

time I have a complaint, I'll try to be more... um, careful.

And yes, I absolutely do love my minimates. It is the only collection I've kept up with this long. I stopped buying comics,(and everything else I collected) just so I could focus on minimates.

Being a completist collector I suppose I get jaded from time to time when one or two stand out that just aren't as great.

Hey, say what you want, it's a free forum. No need to tiptoe around me. I get offended far too easily.

There have certainly been a couple Mates that needed to go back to the drawing board, I'll admit it, but these two did not have any physical problems that I know of, which is why your comment surprised me. And I think most of us would say that even a poorly executed Minimate is still a pretty cool toy.

And knowing you're a completist actually explains a lot. I now know that you felt compelled to buy the set, even though you didn't want it. While I was always a 95% completist on most of my collections, leaving behind the figures I didn't want or need, I certainly understand and sympathize.

TBT is my favourite moderator .

TBT is an overbearing insufferable jerk who abuses his powers... Lurch is where the cool moderating is at.

As for the whole 'garbage conversation', what's great about this place is that even though you're both very much behind your personal opinions no one is yelling... yet.

and on topic... I believe we've asked Chuck before about a Stan Lee minimate & it would require a whole separate license, which wouldn't be worth it for one minimate.

T.

I didn't think likeness rights were an issue with Minimates because the caricatures were protected by parody law. DST would probably be within their legal rights to make a Minimate figure that happened to look like Stan Lee but they probably couldn't market it that way. I'd be happy with a Minimate from any line that just happened to look like Stan.

Politically, this would be a bad move. I know Universal Monsters requires third-party licensing for the specific likenesses of their classic characters and while most are a pleasure to deal with, Bela Lugosi's estate is notoriously difficult. DST could have probably made a Dracula with Lugosi's likeness without their approval but it would have made things difficult between them and Universal. I imagine the same would be true for Marvel and Stan Lee, despite recent litigation between the two entities.

Ethically, of course, you'd want Stan on board. Find out what Stan's favorite charity is and sell an official Minimate of "The Man" wearing a shirt with that logo on it. Fans get a Stan Lee Minimate, the charity gets the profit, and DST gets a tax right-off.

Since Stan Lee appears in a lot of Marvel Movies, could there possibly be a TTA type box set with 4 different Stan Lee minimates from each of the movies? Of course, there would need to be 4 licenses that DST needs at the same time and they'd all have to be friendly with each other...

And TBT is still and forever the pimpest moderator. timbo.gif

Since Stan Lee appears in a lot of Marvel Movies, could there possibly be a TTA type box set with 4 different Stan Lee minimates from each of the movies? Of course, there would need to be 4 licenses that DST needs at the same time and they'd all have to be friendly with each other...

To be quite honest 'storm' you've always been a troublemaker dry.png

Hopefully Hugh Hefner Stan makes the cut.

I'm no Luke but I liked kaipo's suggestion so much that I just had to make one for my own...

stanlee_zpse5e28874.jpg

i just nerdgasmed

That looks so perfect. Just include the alternate regular torso piece and we'd be good to go. DST get on this!