UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Anyone use a hunting/survival knife?

Shanester

I like the outdoors and have been camping, trekking, kayaking, etc., my whole life. I have an old Ka-Bar that I have just about completely worn out and need a new knife. Anyone lead this kind of life and have a faithful knife they would recommend?

Take a look at the Becker line of knives (actually manufactured by Kabar), they are relatively affordable compared to some of the high quality/priced knives & built to be used/abused. Also look at the newest Kabar is the MK1 and has gotten some great reviews.

I have a couple of Becker knives and use them camping/hiking and they are very no frills dependable.

T.

I use a Buck 119 Special, though it doesn't have a serrated edge or anything. Just a good knife.

Just the way I like'em TM2. Serated edges are nice for a folder, but really impractical for a good fixed blade. The Buck 119 is a knife I often see others carrying.

I'll check out Becker TBT. If Ka Bar makes it, it should be quality. My first instinct was to get another Ka Bar, but thought I'd look around first. Thanks for the heads up.

Hellpop, I grew up amongst many outdoorsmen and used to go on survival trips as a young teen. These were camping trips were you only took supplemental foods, not meals. If you wanted to eat, you had to kill and prepare your meal. Not for everyone, but it prepares you for an event that makes grocery stores extinct. I never saw a "walking dead" future as being a reality, but if you get stuck out in the wilderness without some skill (it can happen easier than you think), you probably won't survive it. Knowledge is power in every situation.

Oh, and YB, I assure you, if I were a character in the Walking Dead series, I'd be carrying two of those.

Anytime I need to pry open a chest containing salvage that I use to upgrade my weapons, leap to a frozen cliff, or brain a potential rapist/murderer, I reach for one of these!

Axe_Render.jpg

(Sorry Shane, that was all I could offer, I hope someone can help you out.) thumbsup.gif

FYI, that's a DMM Rebel Pair Axe. If I had the $200 quid, I'd buy one, just cause of that game. tongue.png

BHM, the only thing I can say is Thank God I live in the South?

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

BHM, the laws here vary depending on the state/city. In most cases, the laws are aimed at concealed weapons and not camping/utility use. I usually don't wear a fixed blade knife unless I am in a camping or hiking situation. However, you will RARELY ever find me without a knife of some sort. I love my little Kershaw 1600 and keep her nice and sharp. I probably use it every day for one thing or another.

Kershaw-Chive-1600ST-350x350.gif

I nearly got caught out a year or two back when I 'found' my ol' faithful was in the glove compartment of my truck . I used to use that knife on a daily basis around the farm & I thought nothing of the fact that I could carry it in my back-pocket ,remove it from my back-pocket with one hand whilst holding branch/sheep/gate/fence/gate/bullock/etc. with the other hand. The point was that my knife is a switch-blade which I have had since I was a teenager & if I had been found with it in my truck I would have been well & truly rodgered. I need to get rid of it.

edit: I'm only wittering on to emphasise the fact that you & I Shane live in different worlds & I'm never sure whose is the sanest ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

If I were found, by the police, carrying anything other than a 3" folding knife in public in the UK I would be arrested & be given up to 5 years in prison . rolleyes.gif

More to the point anything but a folding NON-Locking knife, which is IMO a little draconian. I have my views on the knife laws in the UK but because we're a no political discussion forum I'll keep them to myself.

Same as Shane, I will seldom be found without a knife of some sort and always carry either a mutitool (leatherman juice) or folding knife ( usually a Spyderco Sage1 but have a modest folding knife collection.), I also carry a small but powerful flashlight on my belt & am surprised how often I use it (Zebralight SC52).

As for larger fixed blades, I don't carry them every day either but I carry a small fixed blade (Becker Bk14) when hiking/camping etc. and a larger one (Becker BK2) that is a little heavy to wear but is a great camp knife and would be my "if I only had one knife & the world ended" survival tool.

Hey Shane, a friend of mine ( who i served with)makes his own line of knives, pm me if you'd like his info.

Custom knives... Nice but usually pricey... PM me his info though Josh, I'd like to see what he does.

T.

BHM, I have an Italian Stilleto that I picked up in Mexico about 20 years ago. Its a well made little gem with ox horn handles and a 9" blade. I keep it in a drawer at home because if the law ever saw it, I too would be rodgered. In fact, I let my son show some friends that knife and a pair of (illegal in the US) solid brass knuckle dusters a few months back and feared my house was under surveilance ever since. tongue.png

TBT, I carry a small Mag-lite most of the time, but my favorite small multipurpose light is the Sidewinder Tactical. Compact and extremely bright, if you want it to be.

Streamlight_Sidewinder_Tactical_Flashlig

The IR feature on the military model (what I have) is not very useful, but fun if you have night vision goggles... Its smaller than a pack of cigarettes and fits nicely on a pack or belt for hands free illumination.

I am looking at the Becker BK2 or BK7. I may try to find a local dealer so I can feel the weight and balance. IMO, if the knife doesn't feel right, you'll have a hard time using it.

@Josh I would be interested to see your friends craft, as well. Its true that custom knives can be expensive, but sometimes they are worth it. For real knife nuts, Gil Hibben's work shop was about a mile from the house I grew up in.

Shane,

The BK7 will feel a lot more like a Kabar in terms of balance, It'll be a little heavier but not by much.

The BK2 is shorter but a total tank ( & heavy), I've abused mine in ways that you really shouldn't do with a knife or even a prybar and it's none the worse for it.

You might also want to look at the BK16/17 if you want something lighter but still bullet proof.

As for that light, I couldn't find any output ratings for it, the one I carry uses a single AA and will output 250 lumens off a lithium or rechargable nimh.

Shane, I hope you didn't take offense to my offhand comment. My wife's an outdoorswoman, and I have a healthy respect for those with survival skills (which I have not). That was just my roundabout way of saying that it's always interesting to find out what other MMMVers are interested beyond the obvious (Minimates).

Shane, I hope you didn't take offense to my offhand comment. My wife's an outdoorswoman, and I have a healthy respect for those with survival skills (which I have not). That was just my roundabout way of saying that it's always interesting to find out what other MMMVers are interested beyond the obvious (Minimates).

Not at all pal. Just the opposite, I was kinda curious to see who responded, too. In fact, I fully expected it to drop like a rock to the bottom of the page and disappear...

@TBT, I'll look it up. The Sidewinder (made by Streamlight) runs on two AAs so is heavier, I am sure. It has a MOLLE clip and standard belt clip large enough to fit even a military web belt, but I usually clip it higher or carry it. I like it because it offers so many options, both on brightness and color of light, plus the light can be beam directed using the swivel head. Also, its waterproof and hard to damage, which is a must for me.

Shane,

The BK7 will feel a lot more like a Kabar in terms of balance, It'll be a little heavier but not by much.

The BK2 is shorter but a total tank ( & heavy), I've abused mine in ways that you really shouldn't do with a knife or even a prybar and it's none the worse for it.

You might also want to look at the BK16/17 if you want something lighter but still bullet proof.

As for that light, I couldn't find any output ratings for it, the one I carry uses a single AA and will output 250 lumens off a lithium or rechargable nimh.

I bought a BK2 a while back; it's made it through 3 tours of duty and is still my go-to knife.

I can't help with a recommendation for a true outdoorsman knife, but I own a Spyderco Stretch that's been absolutely wonderful for several years now. It's kind of a hybrid between hunting/outdoors and everyday use. It's more of an everyday knife that could be used in a pinch to field dress or something along those lines. I also have a Spyderco Hawkbill that's opened more boxes/blister cards/bags of toys than I care to remember. It always stays on the coffe table so I know right where to look for it when I get a package in the mail. I own two decent knives and they are used primarily to open toys and take tags off of clothes. Safe to say I'm probably not the target demographic for the company.

And to add to the topic of flashlights, I always carry a 4sevens Mini ML-X. It's a great little flashlight for everyday use. It takes up very little space in your pocket but can absolutely flood some light.