UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 7

Keep in mind, we aren't really confined by having to only make 1 mate for the auctions. Like past events, some customizers made multiple customs.

So I would assume for this theme, if someone were to make a few heroes that they would also maybe create a villain to go along with them.

Once we decided on Superheroes, I kind of made a basic plan of maybe making a Hero duo and a villain that would go up against them.

In my mind, superheroes encompasses both the heroes and the villains.

If we were to go with a golden age for example, our title could be Charitymates: A Golden Age of Comics .....giving what the theme is and encompassing both good and evil characters.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the steampunk idea. Though if the theme is superheores then i could make a seampunk hero or villain. Are villains acceptable?

That would be like saying "We're making dog minimates! Are cats acceptable?"

I think it comes down to interpretation of the theme. We had a few customizers that made monster hunters instead of actual monsters for our first project. So for the 'Superhero' theme people could make superheroes gone bad like The Plutonian from Irredeemable or anti-heroes like Wolverine or Batman.

Everyone seems to be on board for the Superheroes theme so why don't we stick to that and start brainstorming charity ideas? And for those that are new, the easiest thing for us to do since we sell the customs on eBay is to support a charity that is listed on eBay's Giving Works site.

http://givingworks.ebay.com/

Along those lines, I'd like to suggest the Wish Upon a Hero Foundation: http://givingworks.ebay.com/charity-auctions/charity/wish-upon-a-hero-foundation/32639/

There's also the DC comics backed "We Can Be Heroes", and we also talked about the Newtown relief charity, right?

We Can Be Heroes is not part of the eBay Giving Works Program. I like the Wish Upon a Hero Foundation. There is also one Newtown charity available that I think would also be good: United Way Newtown/Sandy Hook School Support Fund

I think everyone's ideas can fit inside the superheroes category so can we just say now that that is what it is?

Also, when would we like to set the date for/how long should we give everyone to get done? Things changed some last year so I don't remember what kind of timeframe is usually used.

Usually it's 3 months or so. If I recall we try to have them out the door and online by the first of July. Which isn't a bad system if I'm remembering right. April first start planing. July first have the auction online. July 15th all winners should have their customs.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so If I'm doing this (weird) I'd like to get a jump on it and let us start Wednesday. That way custom time will be May 1st - June 30th. That'll give us 2 solid months.

So we've got 2 days to finalize this.

1) Are we doing super heroes, or alternative history?

2) We're donating to Newtown still? Which charity?

Okay, so If I'm doing this (weird) I'd like to get a jump on it and let us start Wednesday. That way custom time will be May 1st - June 30th. That'll give us 2 solid months.

You go girl TM2! Thanks for dioing this!

As for your questions:

1) Super Heroes. Who wants to do an alternative history super hero is free to do so.

2) I guess this was the latest call: United Way of Western Connecticut Sandy Hook School Support Fund

I second what Bob says.

So, just so I'm clear: our customs should be of either public domain or original characters, yes? And if we are doing a variation of a preexisting character, it has to be an original concept? So you could do, say Medieval Batman, but not Gotham by Gaslight Batman. Or, Abraham Lincoln Superman, but not Electric Blue Superman. Am I right about that?

No, even Medieval Batman would be CP infringement. But you could do Medieval Stalker man, who flies around at night and beats up serfs who are doing wrong.

Here's a list of pre-existing, Public Domain superheroes. Some really cool stuff on that list. http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes

EDIT: I just realized I'm going to have to do Black Cat. I see her stupid books enough when I do ebay searches anyways.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

No, even Medieval Batman would be CP infringement.... Public Domain superheroes.

Technically there’s no such thing as a Public Domain “Superhero” since DC and Marvel co-own the word and have in the past defended their ownership of the word (they forced a comic callled “Superhero Happy Hour” to become “Hero Happy Hour”)

You go girl TM2! Thanks for dioing this!

As for your questions:

1) Super Heroes. Who wants to do an alternative history super hero is free to do so.

2) I guess this was the latest call: United Way of Western Connecticut Sandy Hook School Support Fund

Agreed on all counts. :)

Superheroes is a fine theme to me, sounds good.

Could we maybe call the event Charitymates: A Hero's Journey...?? Since we would be doing all new original heroes, they'd have to have backstories so we'd need to know their origins.

The Charity.....totally up to you guys.