UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain America: The Winter Soldier minimates

elhonez

I haven't seen a Thor or Cap movie pack in stores for months.

What I find odd is that TRU is probably going to pick up Amazing Spider-Man 2 'mates, and the 'mates from the first movie are just about everywhere still, including TRU.com.

Same here except I haven't seen Cap or Thor 'mates at my TRU in years. ASM is still around but in all fairness it's only been less than two years since those showed up.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but those needed to reach clearance to really get cleared out. Remember, Thor was clearanced really, really quickly, only a few months after coming out.

It's a little worrying that TRU is passing on movie waves, if only because the conventional wisdom is that licensees make their money on the movie crap toys, and the comics stuff is just gravy. If TRU is deciding that they don't want 'mates based on movies, the logical assumption is that Marvel comics 'mates may be in trouble. On the other hand, they did buy Iron Man, and Wolverine, so it could be that they just decided that Cap and Thor didn't do well enough the first time around to justify more. Frankly, I'm kinda glad if that's the case, because it always bugs me how movie toys get so much priority. Obviously, I would like more awesome Minimates, of course.

I haven't seen a Thor or Cap movie pack in stores for mnths.

What I find odd is that TRU is probably going to pick up Amazing Spider-Man 2 'mates, and the 'mates from the first movie are just about everywhere still, including TRU.com.

There's only a few Loki/Odin packs, but a bunch of Hydra guys and Cap/Bucky. Not to mention multiple complete sets of X Men First Class.

It's a little worrying that TRU is passing on movie waves, if only because the conventional wisdom is that licensees make their money on the movie crap toys, and the comics stuff is just gravy. If TRU is deciding that they don't want 'mates based on movies, the logical assumption is that Marvel comics 'mates may be in trouble. On the other hand, they did buy Iron Man, and Wolverine, so it could be that they just decided that Cap and Thor didn't do well enough the first time around to justify more.

Not to feed into the skepticism but both the Iron Man 3 and Wolverine waves were late arrivals to most stores and didn't take advantage of the marketing surrounding the films' releases. That doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about TRU's logistical process.

TRU doesn't appear to be buying into Thor at all and probably won't be buying much Hasbro stuff either. It's a troubling trend. We're not talking about toys based on box office flops. The Dark World is trending ahead of its predecessor. Of course they couldn't have predicted that a year ago.

I'm just surprised that they're not supporting movies from the Cinematic Universe. If they had skipped Wolverine, DoFP, or ASM 2 then it wouldn't have been as big of a surprise. But not backing the sequels of two of the main Avengers is weird.

Didn't Zach already say that TRU isn't doing DOFP? It's probably more of a surprise that TRU took Wolverine, considering that they didn't do much with Hasbro (passing of the Legends wave, for example). Guardians is going to be an interesting test case, because there was some leaked info from Hasbro that indicated they are planning a lot of stuff. If the toys flop, it may be a sign that Marvel movie toys have peaked.

TRU didn't cut their movie lines, they just didn't increase them to match the film output. I don't know the relative order quantities they took for XMFC, ASM and Thor, so who knows what the sell-through represents, but I imagine they use that data when looking at what to order our new lines.

More movies may mean fewer Mates for each film but we're still going to cover every film., as long as it makes sense financially. So I don't think we'll see more Thor, not with so much coming out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For real. Even not having seen the movie, I can't imagine how DST could have made a better wave. Batroc looks especially cool to me. Kind of a shame to not get a Robert Redford 'mate as I don't imagine we'll get another opportunity for that, but I don't think I would want to sacrifice one of these for that character.