UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rarest Minimates?

kaipo

What are the rarest/most valuable marvel minimates? Besides Gold/silver spidey?

I know X-Force Angel and Warpath are up there, and maybe Hulkbuster Iron Man.

I'm interested to know if there's a list out there of some kind. Help? Thoughts? Advice?

Edited by kaipo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarest doesn't always equate to most valuable although the Angel /Warpath set perhaps meets the criteria of both categories. My personal guess would be that Justin Hammer,Laufey ,Selvig & Red Skull (Hydra) & perhaps Red Skull (Villains box set) are the rarest,as in 'numbers produced'.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Probably also depends on region. There were a lot of times that sets would be released and months would go by and I would never see any of that release.

I'd say any set exclusive from FYE stores or the TRU Stealth Ironman from the first movie. Never saw any of those in any store I visited.

As you mentioned Gold and Silver Spideys are the rarest and most expensive Marvel Minimates to find MIB. Members have stated that there were also a few extra bagged sets made above 50 but these were not numbered. (Not sure if they were just extras for staff, or why make extras and not number them)

Other than that I would say the Hulk-buster set draws the highest money but may not have been produced in low quantities. Seen a few sell on ebay for over 75.00 each OPENED with box. ermm.gif

Edited by highassroller

Rarest doesn't always equate to most valuable although the Angel /Warpath set perhaps meets the criteria of both categories. My personal guess would be that Justin Hammer,Laufey ,Selvig & Red Skull (Hydra) & perhaps Red Skull (Villains box set) are the rarest,as in 'numbers produced'.

Don't forget the "Battle Damaged" Hammer Drone, it was also 1 per case.

Man, that Hydra uniform Red Skull is so nice too. It's a shame he saw such limited release.

I don't think Ultimate Green Goblin pops up as much as some of the other early Marvel 'mates, though I'm not sure he's rare. I know I see him listed for sale now and then, but I also never look for him, so this is all anecdotal. As in, I've not been commissioned to do a scientific study on the rarity of Ultimate Green Goblin... yet.

JLU Flash and Martian Manhunter would still rate as pretty rare, I think.

I still wonder about that because they were sold at non-comic retail outlets (your Suncoasts and FYEs of the world). But BHM is right in that value/rarity aren't the same. Further, it depends on whether you mean "mass" release only, or are including con exclusive type fare (which I guess includes Gold/Silver Spideys), or if you would consider including prototypes, which obviously would be the rarest of them all. If you are doing "mass" release, are you considering packaging variants like the Shopkos? BHM has several of the rarest figures in existence as they are prototypes, and among those, he has what must easily be the most desirable to my eyes in the Minimate Max Spidey. That thing is greater than 10 Gold Spideys to my eyes.

Edited by karamazov80

Giveaways aren't necessarily rare-- the John Stewart Minimate is arguably easier to obtain then any other DC Minimate.

I'd definitely agree with that . The question was about 'Marvel' but as we've strayed I'll point out that many Minimates which were once considered uber-rare have become decidely unwanted as newer collectors have become more discerning (?) An example would be last night's ebay auction for these promos http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-Minimates-Lot-All-Exclusives-One-of-A-Kind-Collection-/271170957770?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3f230c71ca .......there is stuff in that auction that would have had grown men fighting over once upon a not long ago ......6 bids,3 bidders .

Figma Link is not rare. There is just more demand than supply. Therefore he is valuable. Rarity indicates not much of something was made, not not enough of something was made, which effects value. There should always be just less of something than the amount of people that want it. That's a good business model. You also need to look at how many more people are here now than there were when said object was created. There are 7 billion people on the planet. 20 years ago it was 6 billion. Not saying they're all collectors, but even if 1/10th of 1% were collectors... You catch my drift?

This rarity question comes up ever so often. Rarity and value/demand are two different things. You're talking apples and oranges.

I guess I'm more interested in rarity. i.e. I have Red Skull in Hydra Uniform, which was a one per case of 12, although he sells for far less in the after market compared to X-Factor Angel.

I find it very interesting that there's more Angel/Warpath out there than LCS variants.

I find it very interesting that there's more Angel/Warpath out there than LCS variants.

I actually know no more than Dino but I doubt that that comment is actually accurate in this particular case ,I'll qualify that by stating what I know............ although there are more exclusive TRU marvel sets than LCS variants (source: DST) in recent waves .... this was not the case withTRU Wave 4 where it was packed one per case.

I'm not trying to score points here ,just saying .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Yeah, most of those early sought-after TRU Exclusive's were 1 per case:

- Stealth Iron Man & Gauntlet Stark

- Bullseye & Moonstone

- X-Factor Angel & Warpath

- Cosmic Silver Surfer & Swordsman

It wasn't until Wave 6 where they tweaked the distribution to make the Exclusive packs 2 per-case.

Rare or valuable, some of the hardest and most expensive mates seem to be from TRU. Bullseye, Angel, Warpath, Hulkbuster IM, ect.

Maybe there should be a 'Best of TRU' wave then hmmmm?

That's not how Marvel Best Of Waves work. tongue.png Thank goodness.

I actually know no more than Dino but I doubt that that comment is actually accurate in this particular case ,I'll qualify that by stating what I know............ although there are more exclusive TRU marvel sets than LCS variants (source: DST) in recent waves .... this was not the case withTRU Wave 4 where it was packed one per case.

I'm not trying to score points here ,just saying .

Sorry Rob, but you're actually... wrong? geek.gif Yes, the early waves were 1 per case, same as LCS. But even still, TRU ordered more cases than LCS did. Sometimes only by the hundreds, but they were always more. We'd have to go back and dig out the numbers, but I'm almost certain that there are always more TRU exclusives than LCS variants. Even at 1:1 per case.

The perfect way to prove this one way or another is pull the order numbers for wave 30 and wave 4, as those hit at roughly the same time.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

And we also don't know how many sets TRU ordered when they started carrying Minimates again. I'm sure, as Minimates have proven themselves, they upped their orders by several thousand.

Anyway, I wonder which is rarer: X-Factor Angel, or Silver Age Angel? Both shipped one per case, and complete team sets. X-Factor is possibly more sought after, since he comes with another character, and you can actually cobble together a SA Angel out of scraps if you wish. Perhaps that's why demand/complaining about X-Factor Angel seems to continue, and SA Angel seems to have fallen more off the radar.