Age of Ultron Minimates!

Jatta Pake

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not read any of this story arc so they are all new looks for me. I will buy the set but more for the collector in me. Just the amount of parts make this a good boxset to get 3 nice looking characters an IMO one weak one (Stark)

The Ultron figure and the way its set up makes me hop for more multi armed releases in the future as the two that spring to mind are Doppleganger and is she called Spiral? from the Xmen comics.

She is :)

Spiral_001.jpg

Although i worry a bit about slimmer characters like Spiral & Doppleganger having the harness for 6 arms, as it adds a lot of bulk to the character. Ideally i'd like to see DST create a chest block with 6 pegs.

Man, I'm hearing a lot of "I'll buy it, but only because I feel like I have to." On the Fwoosh, someone said it flat-out stinks! I have to say, I'm really surprised.

While I heard some people were less-than-thrilled with the actual comic, I thought these four figures would be a slam-dunk with fans. Yeah, I get not everyone wants another Iron Man, but it's a pretty cool Iron Man. For those who don't get a sense from the control art, I'll have to post a picture of him with his helmet and blue boot-jet base. I also get that people might have preferred a classic Ultron, but I think the last Ultron we made is pretty classic as it is. And Angela... I know she's new, and not everybody read her mini-series back in the day, but she's still a strong female character with some comic history who is already a player in Marvel comics.

To all who are psyched for the set, I'm glad. For all who aren't, I'm sorry you aren't digging it. Hopefully the sample pics (and the sweet packaging!) will change your minds.

And this six-arm requires a pretty bulky torso cover, not unlike the Brood's extra legs, so I'm not sure it would work for Spiral. She might need something like what we did for six-armed Spider-Man, although I realize that one was not perfect. But Doppelganger would be great! Ask DST!

Well Zach, sound like no complaints about nick fury!

I'll have to post a picture of him with his helmet and blue boot-jet base.

While you're at it can you post pics of the four with the Wolvie/Goldtron too pleeease

You know how it is Zach - you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Every time DST puts out a set there's some-one who doesn't love it, but the thing is - they usually don't love the *characters* in the set.
I don't think anyone has a problem with the figures you guys have created... but the story arc they came from didn't hit home with all of the fans. They're reacting to that more than the minimates. The mates look great. They always do.

The "i'll buy these because i'm a collector/completionist" comments are a badge of honour for DST. You should read it as "i don't love these characters/this story arc.... but i *do* love minimates - so i'm going to buy them anyway".

Edited by Nessex

You're right, Nessex, I should totally take it that way. I just thought we had the character selection perfect, as well, and thought that the execution would put all of the characters over the top, even with the haters. But I set the bar too high for myself. I suppose I should consider it a good day if nobody quits the hobby over an announcement we make, or an answer I give. :D I've had some bad days lately!

DST's character selection makes sense given the story, it was pretty much these guys or a bunch of battle-damaged characters. I think Angela is a pretty ridiculous move on Marvel's part, but with Marvel pushing her she makes perfect sense to include in the set. And Ultron I just posted about in one of the other 14 threads about this...

We may not collectively love every mate you guys release, but we never intend to bring down your day Zach! thumbsup.gif

I think that although the tentacles come out of his back his minimate wouldn't have to. If the tentacles attached like arms and had multiple points of articulation I personally wouldn't care if the back was perfectly detailed.

You know how it is Zach - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Every time DST puts out a set there's some-one who doesn't love it, but the thing is - they usually don't love the *characters* in the set.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the figures you guys have created... but the story arc they came from didn't hit home with all of the fans. They're reacting to that more than the minimates. The mates look great. They always do.

The "i'll buy these because i'm a collector/completionist" comments are a badge of honour for DST. You should read it as "i don't love these characters/this story arc.... but i *do* love minimates - so i'm going to buy them anyway".

Yeah this is exactly right Zach. Being honest, as a mainly classic marvel fan I've not been wild on some of the recent announcements/releases but I still think every minimate you produce looks awesome and they seem to keep getting better and better. So I still buy almost all of them because the figures are great. And for the record, I didn't really like the story much but I think this is a great boxset with a set of characters that make perfect sense - and I especially love the Nick Fury!

Oh yeah, and I agree, the classic ultron from wave 19 is pretty perfect, so no update really needed there for me.

Zach. bad days? I hope not work related.

you do an outstanding job and this is a good set!

name ANY other company that reacts this fast to a comic event? I can't.

we piss and moan because that's what fan boys do. if this would have been the wrecking crew for example. someone. somewhere would bitch about it.

I love this line. I have come to realize I won't love every single figure but we have close to what 2000 different minimates to choose from?

we are plenty spoiled and I have a Morbius a Thorpoo,l zombie survivor black panther, alpha flight someone tell me another line with that diversity.

Looks good Zach. A Nick Fury the 1st update was needed. Putting Angela in here makes sense. And although not the classic Ultron I've been wanting this Ultron looks excellent.

These are from probably one of the worst storylines in recent memory from Marvel, so it's hard for me to get excited over the announcement. I really hate the character designs too, they're just too busy. I feel that way about a lot of current Marvel stuff though. I don't think anyone will call these "bad" minimates, DST always does an amazing job and this set is no exception.

That said, they do look like perfect representations of the source material. So I'm sure anyone who enjoyed Age Of Ultron will enjoy these. Ultron does look cool, just not my cup of tea, too much sculpting.

I think another reason why the reception has been this way is because of timing. If you're a classic Marvel fan, there hasn't been much to get excited over with these recent reveals (Deadpool, Zombies, Now!, Thunderbolts, etc). Especially since last year was so good to us (Kang, MODOK, Alpha Flight, 80's X-Men, New Mutants and X-Force characters, Jean DeWolff, etc). Just seems like this year is a complete 180 with a few exceptions (Hulk TTA, Strange Tales, F4, some figures from the upcoming waves)

I just hope 2014 is a return to form for the line. The main reason why I love this line so much is that they cover so much ground that other lines would never go near.

Edited by bigvis497

Zach,

I'm excited for the neat new Ultron. I've made different versions using the classic Ultron head and other metallic-colored parts, so this'll be a neat addition to a character that can easily be "army built".

Also, the Nick Fury is MY version of the character. The white guy with brown hair, grizzled. The one I grew up reading as a kid and still enjoy reading. Take your Ultimate/movie version and have fun... THIS is my be-all, end-all depiction of the character. The cool-ass jetpack and accessories he comes with are just icing on the cake.

I get that you had to include an Iron Man, so I'll stomach it.

Haven't finished catching up on the recent "Guardians of the Galaxy" issues. I've got 2 of 'em in my "to read pile" in my room, so I know that Angela will be making an appearance there and I'm curious to see how she'll differ/remain the same from her "Spawn" days.

All in all, a really neat set considering I'm a fan of classic characters and am always politely begrudging DST for not making more of them. wink.png The only way this set could be better would've been a 3" Goliath or the super brief cameo of Dragon Man! biggrin.png Remember, I'm a classic guy... so I know the issue that scene comes from originally.

Edited by Mystery Man

Honestly Zach I have no idea who Angela is nor do I care. She's the throwaway of the set...

But the rest of this is bad ass.

Love the Fury, like the Iron Man suit (a new Iron Man is always welcome in my collection) and comics be damned that Ultron is f**king incredible. I want so much.

Honestly Zach I have no idea who Angela is nor do I care. She's the throwaway of the set...

But the rest of this is bad ass.

Love the Fury, like the Iron Man suit (a new Iron Man is always welcome in my collection) and comics be damned that Ultron is f**king incredible. I want so much.

I completely agree with Trekker here; All the designs are beautiful and I personally think the sets pretty bad-ass! Obviously the Nick Fury is stand out, The Ultron looks menacing and amazing; The Iron Man looks slick {Can't wait to see him with mask/accessorie} and while the Angela looks cool I can't really connect with her considering I've never knew anything about spawn other then there is a lot of action figures for it...