UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Age of Ultron Minimates!

Jatta Pake

Im least excited for another Iron Man but its a nice design. This is a must buy set for me. If getting an update Fury and an Angela requires 2 Iron Man I would still call this a must buy. Im a character collector and the Nick Fury and Angela will immediately go in my display.

Edited by sinnsyk

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah Zach, don't let all the fussiness get you down... I think anything perceived as too "modern" will have its detractors among the crustier of us old fans, but that doesn't mean the sets won't sell well. And nostalgia alone will only carry the line so far - I for one am happy with the overall mix of characters these days. I second all the assertions that these are always well designed, and getting better all the time. Quality stuff, even if I and others always feel compelled to provide editorial about why we decide to buy or skip a particular offering.

Man, I'm hearing a lot of "I'll buy it, but only because I feel like I have to." On the Fwoosh, someone said it flat-out stinks! I have to say, I'm really surprised.

While I heard some people were less-than-thrilled with the actual comic, I thought these four figures would be a slam-dunk with fans. Yeah, I get not everyone wants another Iron Man, but it's a pretty cool Iron Man. For those who don't get a sense from the control art, I'll have to post a picture of him with his helmet and blue boot-jet base. I also get that people might have preferred a classic Ultron, but I think the last Ultron we made is pretty classic as it is. And Angela... I know she's new, and not everybody read her mini-series back in the day, but she's still a strong female character with some comic history who is already a player in Marvel comics.

To all who are psyched for the set, I'm glad. For all who aren't, I'm sorry you aren't digging it. Hopefully the sample pics (and the sweet packaging!) will change your minds.

And this six-arm requires a pretty bulky torso cover, not unlike the Brood's extra legs, so I'm not sure it would work for Spiral. She might need something like what we did for six-armed Spider-Man, although I realize that one was not perfect. But Doppelganger would be great! Ask DST!

I understand every offering isn't for everyone, but complaining about them is annoying. I wish people would just say 'buy' or 'pass' and let it at that.

Really? It's not a poll, it's a discussion board, so people are going to discuss what they like and don't like about things. Posts keep mentioning "haters" and "complaining" but I haven't really noticed anyone being rude or whiny about this set, just having different opinions on what they like and don't like, same as usual.

Man, I'm hearing a lot of "I'll buy it, but only because I feel like I have to." On the Fwoosh, someone said it flat-out stinks! I have to say, I'm really surprised.

I'm almost sorry I go over there any more.

For what it's worth, Zach, I love it.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Oh, man, I HOPE people here don't start saying "pass." :)

Obviously most people who are passionate about this line are old-school, but it seems like one area in which we are constantly praised (besides overall character selection) is timeliness. And following the current storylines, especially the events that draw in readers, is a good way to attract new fans to the line. And while the number of classic figures vs. modern can probably be counted in different ways, I think this has been a very good year for classic.

I agree, "Pass" is worse than explaining your issues with the set, the latter helps the folks at DST gauge the interest or things they might want to put in their thinking for the next set, it shows that you are enthusiastic about the toys and only want them to get better, its not showing some callous disregard for the set itself, just that it may not be for you and here are the reasons why

For instance, I'm surprised more people here don't know who Angela is. In addition to being a second-tier Image character (she had her own mini-series) and the subject of several action figures from a leading collectibles company, her arrival in the MU was much-heralded by the comic book press.

I guess people either aren't old enough to remember her, weren't reading Image back then (or ever), aren't up to date on the latest Marvel comics, and/or don't read comic book news sites. Which is all fine, but I assumed she would be on everyone's radar in some form or another. I was wrong! Which is fine! She's still a cool Minimate.

Edited by DSTZach

Heck, she also was a big part of a major lawsuit between two of the most famous names in comics. But, then again, it's been a long time since Spawn has been even remotely relevant. Image has changed so much from it's early days (almost entirely for the better; just go read Saga to find that out) that those early characters seem like anachronisms. Those books haven't aged well, and I don't think readers that weren't there at the time are really interested in that old Image stuff.

I am a bit lukewarm on this set because I'm not big on either the Ultron or Iron Man designs. Ultron's way too busy for me, and Iron Man just doesn't look like Iron Man (save for the helmet). But I'll certainly buy it. I think it's cool that you guys are striking while the iron is hot with Angela, and I wish you'd done the same with Miracleman (though I don't think that was ever an option).

I love Angela (though, I haven't read too much with her), and am excited to have her!

Added with the excitement that the upcoming movie is getting me for Guardians of the Galaxy, I can't wait to add her to my shelf (and get some other team members to go with her...Starlord, Rocket, Groot, a new Drax, Moondragon...the previous Gamora works just fine for me).

:D

I imagine Angela was rushed into production due to a narrow window of opportunity. Maybe not.

Why, does she look rushed? This set seemed like a good place for her, since she made her Marvel debut here, and was wearing her classic togs, but I wouldn't say we rushed anything about this set. And since she's in GotG now, and in a new costume to boot, she's fair game going forward.

I wasn't sure what legalities were involved in using the character given her origins. Sometimes there's a brief window of opportunity to offer a character like this and manufacturers have to act while the planets are in alignment. Such a brief confluence can move a character from the bottom of the list (or off it entirely) right to the top. Hence the rush to get Angela out there.

For what it's worth, she looks fine to me.

I've been grappling with whether I'll buy a lot of upcoming Marvel mates. TRU 16 & 17, AoU and Tbolts Now all have nothing for me content wise. I've hardly read any Marvel comics in the last few years so I have no connection to these new looks. And it's almost all characters I already have in "classic" versions. That's from one side of my brain, the other is all, "New minimates! Get 'em!" starwars.gif

I can only really speak for myself, but I will provide a bit of my own "adult collector demographic" data for you here regarding this...

I'm of the demographic "slice" that grew up with comics, but became disenchanted with the late 80s-90s "Xtremeification" of comics, of which McFarlane, Image, Liefeld et al were key offenders. You've heard it all before, "pupiless, grimacing, top-heavy guys with too many pouches, knives and guns." Four hundred different foil and trading card variants for every #1 issue, and there seemed to be multiple #1s monthly. I represent the guy for whom Alex Ross created Kingdom Come, reflecting on classic values versus e.g. Magog (a Cable pastiche) and more extreme visions of the eternal struggle. etc.

But lest I get too heavy-handed I'll stop there. I do know who Angela is. Brings up bad memories. However I also acknowledge that Marvel ingesting a known character from someone else's IP is a Big Hairy Deal, and will go so far as to say I expected her to end up as a Mini sooner rather than later. Likewise if Marvel suddenly nabbed Savage Dragon, I'd expect the same. It's a smart choice, very timely, and despite my personal misgivings about the character, a cool & well-executed Mini.

...and that Nick Fury kicks ass. :)

For instance, I'm surprised more people here don't know who Angela is. In addition to being a second-tier Image character (she had her own mini-series) and the subject of several action figures from a leading collectibles company, her arrival in the MU was much-heralded by the comic book press.

I guess people either aren't old enough to remember her, weren't reading Image back then (or ever), aren't up to date on the latest Marvel comics, and/or don't read comic book news sites. Which is all fine, but I assumed she would be on everyone's radar in some form or another. I was wrong! Which is fine! She's still a cool Minimate.

I can only really speak for myself, but I will provide a bit of my own "adult collector demographic" data for you here regarding this...

I'm of the demographic "slice" that grew up with comics, but became disenchanted with the late 80s-90s "Xtremeification" of comics, of which McFarlane, Image, Liefeld et al were key offenders. You've heard it all before, "pupiless, grimacing, top-heavy guys with too many pouches, knives and guns." Four hundred different foil and trading card variants for every #1 issue, and there seemed to be multiple #1s monthly. I represent the guy for whom Alex Ross created Kingdom Come, reflecting on classic values versus e.g. Magog (a Cable pastiche) and more extreme visions of the eternal struggle. etc.

But lest I get too heavy-handed I'll stop there. I do know who Angela is. Brings up bad memories. However I also acknowledge that Marvel ingesting a known character from someone else's IP is a Big Hairy Deal, and will go so far as to say I expected her to end up as a Mini sooner rather than later. Likewise if Marvel suddenly nabbed Savage Dragon, I'd expect the same. It's a smart choice, very timely, and despite my personal misgivings about the character, a cool & well-executed Mini.

...and that Nick Fury kicks ass. smile.png

See, I said the same thing about my feelings on Angela and got mocked by the company rep. I guess unless you say something positive, either saying "pass" or providing any kind of decription as to why you're not doing backflips of joy seems to be quite frowned upon. And for those complaining about the complaining, that's a bit redundant, isn't it? Saying just "pass" or "buying it" adds nothing to the boards, and as battlecat mentioned, it's not a poll.

As an instructor, one thing I've noticed is that no matter how constructive the criticism, some people only react to the fact that it's critical and completely ignore the constructive part. What good is a board if it's nothing but sycophantic praise? I love to hear why people do or do not like something. "pass" or "buy" is not very helpful. And not listening to your customers can lead to serious issues. Did you know that Microsoft was shocked by the negative backlash to the XBox One?

I'm done with The Fwoosh and especially AFI, where anything negative about the companies is censored, especially if you speak out against Mattel. (at least the last time I was there.)

I'm not here to kiss ass exclusively. I've heaped tons of praise on DST. I've also been critical, but I've attempted to be critical in the most constructive manner possible. And in return, I've gotten into some heated exchanges and been ridiculed more than was really warranted. It makes me wonder if it's really worth being constructive, since it seems I'll get the same response if I were a straight up negative jerk about things. I wish some things weren't taken so personally.

Things really started to get dark around here after Groundhog left :(

See, I said the same thing about my feelings on Angela and got mocked by the company rep. I guess unless you say something positive, either saying "pass" or providing any kind of decription as to why you're not doing backflips of joy seems to be quite frowned upon.

Mocked? Do you really think that's an accurate characterization of Zach's comment?

I think there's plenty of room for discussion here but if people disagree they're going to say so. If you take every disagreement or mild teasing as a personal attack then I suppose it's going to feel uncomfortable.

And in case I sound sycophantic, I'm completely unenthused about this set. Ultron is a cool design but screams parts reuse, Angela has no business being in the Marvel Universe (blame goes to Marvel, not DST), the Iron Man armor is an awful design (again, blame Marvel), and Nick Fury is a great character in a cool costume that probably makes it less likely that we'll see him in a standard SHIELD uniform. I understand the decisions, but they don't really work for me. And I'll probably have to buy the set anyway for the Fury head.

See, I said the same thing about my feelings on Angela and got mocked by the company rep. I guess unless you say something positive, either saying "pass" or providing any kind of decription as to why you're not doing backflips of joy seems to be quite frowned upon.

Mocked? Do you really think that's an accurate characterization of Zach's comment?

I think there's plenty of room for discussion here but if people disagree they're going to say so. If you take every disagreement or mild teasing as a personal attack then I suppose it's going to feel uncomfortable.

And in case I sound sycophantic, I'm completely unenthused about this set. Ultron is a cool design but screams parts reuse, Angela has no business being in the Marvel Universe (blame goes to Marvel, not DST), the Iron Man armor is an awful design (again, blame Marvel), and Nick Fury is a great character in a cool costume that probably makes it less likely that we'll see him in a standard SHIELD uniform. I understand the decisions, but they don't really work for me. And I'll probably have to buy the set anyway for the Fury head.

Yeah. I do, else I would not have said it. It's not the first time it's occurred. And I've not said anything. But things got pretty ugly over in one of the other threads about the black & white SDCC exclusives. And it started to feel like the MMMV was becoming The Fwoosh or AFI for a bit there. But I expected a sycophantic "don't bite the hand that feeds us" reply. Sorry, but I hold company reps to a higher standard than fans venting. It's one thing to have disagreements or be ridiculed by other board members. It's another to be goaded into arguments or ridiculed by the company rep. And yes, I knew there would be apologists who would make excuses.

You may be setting kind of a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" scenario there, MC. If someone agrees with you, then they are bashing the DST rep. If they disagree, they're being sycophants. I don't think either are exclusively true. Sure, that may be right, but just cause someone does NOT agree with you doesn't mean they DO agree with DST.

Just a thought. geek.gif

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Sorry Dino, not my intention. I've been keeping my mouth shut about it for a long time now. That nasty business I mentioned earlier really soured me on the boards for awhile. I do respect him as a person. As a rep? I'd be fired if I said some of those things at my job. And I never wanted to stir up trouble. I have a lot of respect for a majority of the folks here. But this place is starting to get a bit vicious. I wasn't trying to set up a "damned if you do or don't" situation, but I already bailed on the SDCC thread after other people kept insisting I misheard things they weren't even there to hear. I don't want to bring hostility, but I'm not going to sit back and suffer it either.

It's not just me. Seeing other's ridiculed from anyone in authority makes me cringe. I don't have to be on the receiving end to be bothered. I'm just vocal, a lot of lurkers aren't. I'm not asking anyone to take sides, I just felt the need to speak my mind.

No, you're not alone. There are some things that have happened that I really don't like. People seem to be a bit too settled lately, a bit too old timer-y. Too much like... church. I'm not sure. i know I'm probably shooting my mouth off again, and I am just struggling with stuff too much to care right now. I say this knowing that Zach and others are my friends, and this filters down further than the mods into the regulars. But people are kind of turning into jerks. And maybe that's not an okay thing to say, but I know when I do it, I don't realize it, and need someone to tell me. Or maybe people just have bad days. I know of one example I stuck my head in cause I knew something wasn't right and found out that one of our own had his medication changed and was acting adversely. So pay attention. Me friendly. And when someone is being an ass...

Be a Gadfly. Don't be a dick. :/

[/brain barf]

MC, are you referring to this comment?

How do you really feel, MC? laugh.png

Sorry first-year Image hurt you so bad. I didn't collect Spawn or Youngblood, my brother did, but I read them mostly for the artwork. I collected Cyberforce and Wild C.A.T.s and eventually Savage Dragon, and I read and enjoyed them for years. I would love for us to do MInimates of all the Image founding titles. Even Wetworks and Shadowhawk, which I have never read beyond a random issue.

I got the sense you took that the wrong way, but didn't realize to what extent. My intention was absolutely not to mock you.

The first statement was just a reaction to the long, vitriolic post you wrote about how much you hated early Image Comics. (You used the word "disgust" three separate times.) And while I saw that your emotions about it were strong, I thought they were just comic-book-strong. Like "Why did they get rid of Superman's underwear?" strong. I honestly meant it to be sharing a laugh at how comics can make us feel, but I didn't realize how personally you took that stuff.

My second paragraph was genuine. I was sorry that bad comics had affected you so much, and wanted to share my experience in turn, which was thankfully positive. I've been hurt bad by plenty of books, just not these. But again, I was thinking these were comic-book emotions, not actual emotions. I apologize if I came off as belittling your feelings on the matter.

I'll be the first to admit that I get over-passionate about stuff here -- this is not the first 1:30 AM apology I've carefully worded -- but my statements in this case were taken the wrong way.

Now I have to go read this B&W SDCC thread. I have NO idea what I said there.